Driver Shaft - How Did You Decide?

Thats what I am leaning to. Yeah its heated and an all year round deal, but the more I talk to this guy I think I would rather just wait and talk to JB and everyone else at the outing. No salespeople and honest opinions. From the sounds of it the launch monitor is a difficult tool to get ahold of though.

1. They are working to fix the LM availability
2. We have proved that it is VERY sturdy

You guys have alot of availability of X flex shafts JB?

You not only have a launch monitor, you have a ton of time to just hit balls, J. DO IT :)

that is a great idea!
Not this time. Sign up sheet and each person gets a set amount of time that way everybody will be covered.

We will have a few. But it wont really matter. We only need a couple to get launch conditions. And one companies X can be another companies S.

You not only have a launch monitor, you have a ton of time to just hit balls, J. DO IT :)

jrod, i'm sure there will be some x flex px's and some miyazaki's, and hawk's right, there should be more time this time.

We will have a few. But it wont really matter. We only need a couple to get launch conditions. And one companies X can be another companies S.

Cool and thats my whole point, not some clown trying to get me to buy the most expensive shaft they offer.

Cool and thats my whole point, not some clown trying to get me to buy the most expensive shaft they offer.

nope! and there's nothing better than being there with friends, and those you trust, confirming things. it will be well worth it jrod and i can assure you that you'll get adequate time on the monitor and you'll leave after the weekend knowing what shaft is best for you. better yet, you may get to put it into play for a round or two!!!

nope! and there's nothing better than being there with friends, and those you trust, confirming things. it will be well worth it jrod and i can assure you that you'll get adequate time on the monitor and you'll leave after the weekend knowing what shaft is best for you. better yet, you may get to put it into play for a round or two!!!

Yep no doubt. I'm gonna tell the Titleist guy no thanks and just hold off till May!

Yep no doubt. I'm gonna tell the Titleist guy no thanks and just hold off till May!

so that means you are coming to the outing?

woot woot!

Yah I will know for sure in probably 2-3 weeks but I am 75% sure.

Like Bob Barker use to say, " Come on Down!".. Best way on the planet to find you a good fit for your shaft shopping etc.

I talked to Chip Usher @ Usher Golf who does all my club work about a lime green shaft. He knows what I like and 2 weeks later I have one of these made for my FT Tour! :D

nlg.jpg

nlg4.jpg

Supertri- Came standard with the club..

in the future I'd love to get a thorough fitting and find a shaft for me.
Based on reviews here I'd love To demo some miyazakis

Mine was based on a lot of on-line research, reviews and talking to some people with some more knowledge than me. Oh, and budget too.

My driver was an impulse purchase. Golf Galaxy had them on sale. At the time I was relatively happy with my then current driver. I hit the few different flex versions they had left available to see what felt best.

When the new Clevelands come out with the Miyazakis, I plan to spend some time hitting each of them to draw comparisons. I would like to get fitted for my next driver.

I talked to Chip Usher @ Usher Golf who does all my club work about a lime green shaft. He knows what I like and 2 weeks later I have one of these made for my FT Tour! :D

nlg.jpg

nlg4.jpg
JD isn't there supposed to be some yellow in there too?:D

Nope..... not this time!! :laughing:

Ive always just grabbed a driver off the shelf with a Regular shaft in it. Now Im going to hit them all on a monitor and whatever has the best numbers wins. I feel like I really need to optimize my launch conditions for better results.

I know this is an controversial question.
Do you all see the results you have on the LM when you get out on the course?
Does it truely help in the real world when you"optimise your launch conditions"? Or does that 1/16" change or more up on down when you place your tee on teeing up at the course throw it all off?

Does it truely help in the real world when you"optimise your launch conditions"? Or does that 1/16" change or more up on down when you place your tee on teeing up at the course throw it all off?

I definitely have. I played stock shafts for years. Some worked and some did not. When I finally got my launch conditions properly adjusted and fine tuned, it has made a night and day difference. Gaining distance due to proper launch conditions was important for me, but the end result gave me more forgiveness as well.

I gained better distance because the new shaft increased the consistency of my ball flight. My launch angle with the stock SuperFast was 15-16 degrees and my ProLaunch Red lowered that launch angle down to 11-12 degrees (this is with a 9.5* clubhead). I used to have to tee it really low to get good results. Now I can manipulate my tee height for the drive needed (keep the ball low into the wind and vise versa).

That's a good question, Jeff.

Like I said in my original post, I didn't get to use the monitor since I waited too long, but I did change Miyazaki shafts incrementally until I found the one that helped me bring the head back square and get the most height/distance.

Since switching I have seen a huge difference in distance and accuracy. The distance gains were due to 1) Higher trajectory (more carry) and 2) improved accuracy, which means the ball rolls farther (fairway vs rough). I can still duff or pop up a shot with a crappy swing, but a half-way decent swing gets me much better results than ever before. I'm not a long hitter at all, so an extra 10-20 yards is HUGE for me.

For my latest driver, I was able to get fit at Golftec as part of my lesson package.

It was a great experience, and I got to try a lot of different club heads. Unfortunately, they only had a couple X - Stiff shaft options, which were showing much better dispersion numbers than the Stiff shafts they had due to my pretty fast swing speed (they had many, many stiff and R flex shafts to try).

So I got the general idea of the type of stiffness I needed in a shaft, but not nearly as thorough a selection as would have been helpful. The end result driver has still been the best driver for my game I've ever owned. Looking forward to an opportunity to try a Miyazaki that is dialed in specifically to my swing characteristics.

Back