donny475

I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SO, many have commented on the sound of the driver and how put off it is in some cases. I tend to judge a club on the results and how many fairways i can hit. I seriously could care less if it sounds like a UFO coming in for a landing if it has a slight draw down the right side and lands in the middle of the fairway.....why does the sound bother you?

for me its due to reaction. If I don't like the sound, I tend to flinch/not commit to the shot. Also, since sound nd feel are directly related, I don't want to hit something my brain says feels like crap haha

Sound and feel are the same thing basically, so something that sounds like a tin bat doesn’t give me any feedback as to how it felt off the face. Even something like the old Nike Vapor Pro: sounded amazing. Like that old persimmon crack. No idea how I hit it, but it sounded great.

For me it's feedback, I sold my Sim2 because I couldn't tell off the face the quality of shot. It all sounded like a Hollow cardboard tube. I just prefer titanium/steel drivers that I can hear, the louder the better 😆

When folks on the tee box ahead of you turn around to see wtf made that awful noise, you know it’s too loud. Same for the range. If you started playing golf in the era of persimmon woods, one would understand. I love the sound of a muted driver myself.

I know the “ping” is polarizing but I like it. Mainly because it indicates a good strike.

That said I don’t ‘have to have it’. I would be fine with anything that doesn’t just sound dead off the face with a good strike. I’m really starting to enjoying hearing the sound of the TSi

The sound takes away from confidence for me due to its distraction. If I’m hitting a golf ball and it sounds like hitting a metal fence post with a baseball bat (sorry Ping) it’s a no from me

Sound doesnt bother me. I was golfing with a guy last week with a Ping driver and the sound was different from other drivers I have heard but he hit it straight. Thats all that matters to me.

Reactions: RD
Sound and feel are the same thing basically, so something that sounds like a tin bat doesn’t give me any feedback as to how it felt off the face. Even something like the old Nike Vapor Pro: sounded amazing. Like that old persimmon crack. No idea how I hit it, but it sounded great.
That driver did sound amazing!

It can sound like an ahooga horn as long as it goes far and straight!

Sound plays a big part in how you react to a club. If it sounds like a garbage can, even if you're hitting it straight you're not going to like it as much as a club you hit the same distance but sounds better.

Try hitting a Knuth High Heat in enclosed range bays then come back and tell me sound doesn't matter :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, that thud was just perfect. But no idea how and where I hit it. And why did it spin so much
We're talking sound here, leave performance out of this lol

Just don't give me a trash can sound.

I can take the Ping G425 - not pleasant but not annoying outside. If you like an aluminum baseball bat but less annoying, that's the Ping.

My favorite in feel is the Epic Speed - soft feel, muted.

(but inconsistent with it. I've overhauled my swing over 3 months - we'll see if I can square it up which had been my big issue. Changed my grip and tech aspects of my swing)

Sound matters to me as part of the feedback if it's different than expected. If everything else is equal (swing mechanics, speed, impact on face, etc.), but one driver sounds different than I expect then I won't like that driver... Found that in my fitting this year. Can't remember which one it was, but there was a driver that just didn't sound right. I couldn't hit it like I could the others.

I am not a fan of a loud "ping" sound, otherwise I can live with most everything else.

I played a TaylorMade R11 for a while, so I must have some tolerance for a loud, ugly sounding driver. I much prefer a more muted sound though, so if two clubs performed roughly equal I'd pick the one with the more muted sound over the one that sounds like hitting a trash can with an aluminum bat.

As long as the crack of a well struck shot sounds good and sounds different from a bad shot I’m good.

Sound never bother me … you don’t react to the sound as you strike you are already past the point of stopping the shot …. By the time you processed it the ball has left the face , the sound is subjective more objective is the distance…

For example proponents of sound feedback , would they prefer ideal
Sound and a bold distance less than maximum achievable / A sound less fulfilling and maximum achievable .

l think it a quirk of golf what people prefer

But equally not everyone hears the same or has hearing that’s not impaired also

Harshness is the word that first comes to mind. Aesthetic is the next. Most shots are not dead solid, and a good sounding club for me continues to give more pleasant than not feedback on mishits. Then there is the idea of tuned systems and resonance. Some things just sound better or worse than others - consider engines & exhaust, baseball bats, concert halls and pipe organs. Some structures and material combinations are more harmonious, and someone smarter than I knows why.

I think people in general gravitate toward certain feels, and if something is off you react to it.

i don't know. it just....does.

Sound never bother me … you don’t react to the sound as you strike you are already past the point of stopping the shot …. By the time you processed it the ball has left the face , the sound is subjective more objective is the distance…
Yeah, but I walk away from the tee box going "Man, that sounds like s##t!". :LOL:

Because I find the ones that sound terrible kinda of unsettling. Like, it jarring. Some of them just sound unpleasant. Like some sound like a mishit to me on the button, and like a shank just off it. Some are just too dang loud. If it makes me cringe, why would I ever want to play it??

I want my driver to sound like the FT Optiforce 440 did.

My old Cleveland SL290 had a distinct "Tink" sound when I struck it, and it would change based on the zone of the face so I could tell where I hit it. I really enjoyed that sound.

In the 12 or so balls I have hit with my Cobra SZ Extreme, the face sounds like a hollow car door being hit with a hammer in the worst possible sense. So much so that the first few swings that I took and that my friends took, we thought it had a cracked face. The sound really cheapens the impression of the driver I find.

Back