Equipment Changes - 2014 Morgan Cup

Sign me up! I am anxious to get a chance to participate in this awesome event! I always look forward to playing with THPer's and making new friends. Hopefully I will get picked this year. Even if I dont, there are plenty of other events that I can participate in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

People with be off the chain with excitement for that Friday event when all receive their shiny, new equipment in what I'm sure will be spectacular fashion! I used to live in Myrtle Beach and there are some lighted driving ranges around for those concerned with not being able to get used to their equipment prior to playing in the MC. If I am lucky enough to be chosen to participate I will have no issue with walking out to the course on Saturday morning with awesome equipment that I have no prior experience with! Although I have not participated in previous MCs, I feel very confident that all changes are being made to better the event and the experience for all involved!

Having never been a participant my opinion probably isn't the most informed but I see this as a really great change. The excitement on Staff Sponsor Day is going to be freaking epic and the feedback given will be truly honest and results oriented. It would be so awesome to be just a visitor on the range that day watching all of the happenings.
If your swing is ready to rock the sticks shouldn't make too big of a difference...and if they do who cares? Everyone is in the same boat on the same course.
No excuses.

Keagan you have your reasons and I respect that. I was hoping to see you throw your name in the middle and see what it's like on the other side of the lens but you seem to have dug your heels into the sand.

I hope you do make a return trip to MB and work the camera. It'd be nice to have you there.

I hope we have record numbers applying for a spot in the 2014 MC because it's such an experience. I hope we learn from our past mistakes and build on those. I hope the MCrs that get in rock the house. And I hope everyone brings their best game and works their butts off to get there.

And I sincerely think we will see a ton of entrants! I know I'm going to add myself into the mix. Haven't experienced Media Day in the past, but regardless of where you stand on the changes, this is going to be a beyond phenomenal event. Either way, whether participating or volunteering, you'll see myself down there soaking it all in.

Having never been a participant my opinion probably isn't the most informed but I see this as a really great change. The excitement on Staff Sponsor Day is going to be freaking epic and the feedback given will be truly honest and results oriented. It would be so awesome to be just a visitor on the range that day watching all of the happenings.
If your swing is ready to rock the sticks shouldn't make too big of a difference...and if they do who cares? Everyone is in the same boat on the same course.
No excuses.

This is pretty much the bottom line as I see it. Additionally, it is beneficial to both the OEMs and THP (read Josh & Morgan) who have a lot invested in the event.

As mentioned in a previous post it is hard to tell tone in a post, I am not trying to be harsh nor step out of my lane. We as THPers reap the rewards of the relationships that JB/GG have developed with the OEMs and anything that furthers the THP brand benefits us all.

And I sincerely think we will see a ton of entrants! I know I'm going to add myself into the mix. Haven't experienced Media Day in the past, but regardless of where you stand on the changes, this is going to be a beyond phenomenal event. Either way, whether participating or volunteering, you'll see myself down there soaking it all in.

Gonna hold you to that promise 10 Months out :D all we can ask is for support from everyone and let the cards fall where they might.

Gonna hold you to that promise 10 Months out :D all we can ask is for support from everyone and let the cards fall where they might.
QFT without it, it just doesn't work

I think this will put more emphasis on the player's game versus the equipment. All players will be in the same boat as getting new equipment at the same time. Some may have concerns of not being on top of their game with new sticks but I think that it will make the MC a little more exciting. I just hope my cap will be low enough to get in and have the opportunity to play brand new sticks in tournament fashion.

Equipment Changes - 2014 Morgan Cup

Finally caught up and all I have to say is......

....This is perfect!! Seeing how I always play my best the first few rounds with new sticks, I'm excited. Luckily it lasts for a couple days and then I can go back home and settle into mediocrity again.

I, for one, like the change. This certainly makes the fitting process key, which is what we all preach on here so very often. Getting fit correctly and for the right clubs will definitely be a determining factor of how the clubs perform for you over the MC weekend.

And like many others have said, and you can clearly see in the footage from this year, this seems to be so much more than singles and alternate shot, Callaway and Cobra (no offense, as it's nowhere near as grand without the sponsors). Without experiencing it first hand, you can still pick up on the camaraderie and band of brothers mentality it exudes. In the end, I have no doubt that's what everyone takes away and what keeps returning participants coming back again.

Last edited:
I will embrace it for what it is: a life changing event and opportunity. Life changing because the friends that are made through the experience. The first tee nerves will always be there....it's the ultimate amateur golf event and the equipment is not half of what makes it what it is.

Well said! I completely agree!

I just(an hour ago) saw this thread. 19 pages of yik yak over a simple change. I read it all. There were some good posts, from newbies & veterans alike, about what they are willing to do to get in. I echo the sentiments of I'll play with bent putters from Volcano Mountain & Warrior freebies, if that is the deal. I wanna continue to build the relatonships I have with some of you. To meet many of you. To make my local(nonTHP) friends that much more jealous of all that we experience at a THP event.

I want on the team! Morgan Cup or bust!

I for one, really like this change. I've been known to make my way around a course far less traveled by others, and can still get it home within reason...usually. With still being in the infancy stage of this game, I look forward to learning and overcoming opportunities all the time. While watching the videos from last year, equipment was a big part of it; however, I was in tune with the people, teams, and energy that flowed. Not only amongst the individual teams, but between them...equipment doesn't do that.

I'm all for knowing what you should be swinging spec wise and then experiencing the gift with everyone at the same time. More importantly, experiencing the support and growth throughout the process leading up to the event...and then getting it hands on from every wonderful THP'r that is there. Having this gift presented and informed in person by the OEM's is icing on the cake.

Ive never been to a MC and probably never make one, but if I did you could just give me some old cane clubs and I would be stoked to just be there playing with fellow THPers. I know the equipment is a big part of it, but if im mistaken I never seen any one on the videos worrying about there equipment but more about the great time and camaraderie that they were all having. Im sure any changes that are made are for the good of the MC.

Just read thru this entire thread and as a causal observer of the MC over the last 2 years here are my thoughts.

1). The experience will still be amazing for the participants, nothing changes here.

2) I think this puts less emphasis on the competition side of things and more on the equipment. This is not a bad thing, but no tour pro or even someone playing in their club championship would put 14 new clubs in their bag the day before. Having knowledge of your clubs I think is more important to shooting a low score than the latest and greatest.

3) Will the participants know who their sponsor is beforehand? If they do, What would prevent someone buying irons, driver or putter beforehand. Not every company is going to be releasing equipment 5 days before the event. Does this benefit the people with deep pockets?

I hope I don't come across as being negative. Just thought I'd share my thoughts. I see pluses and minuses to the change.

Proud supporter of the 2014 Morgan Cup!!

I did like that people got their equipment before hand, BUT this new development gives a whole new level of excitement to the event! To get a set of new stuff on a single day, and everybody else does that too! Love it!

Finally caught up and all I have to say is......

....This is perfect!! Seeing how I always play my best the first few rounds with new sticks, I'm excited. Luckily it lasts for a couple days and then I can go back home and settle into mediocrity again.

I, for one, like the change. This certainly makes the fitting process key, which is what we all preach on here so very often. Getting fit correctly and for the right clubs will definitely be a determining factor of how the clubs perform for you over the MC weekend.

And like many others have said, and you can clearly see in the footage from this year, this seems to be so much more than singles and alternate shot, Callaway and Cobra (no offense, as it's nowhere near as grand without the sponsors). Without experiencing it first hand, you can still pick up on the camaraderie and band of brothers mentality it exudes. In the end, I have no doubt that's what everyone takes away and what keeps returning participants coming back again.

Well said.

The experience is what I will remember forever. The friends, the great times. That's what it's all about.

Just read thru this entire thread and as a causal observer of the MC over the last 2 years here are my thoughts.

1). The experience will still be amazing for the participants, nothing changes here.

2) I think this puts less emphasis on the competition side of things and more on the equipment. This is not a bad thing, but no tour pro or even someone playing in their club championship would put 14 new clubs in their bag the day before. Having knowledge of your clubs I think is more important to shooting a low score than the latest and greatest.

3) Will the participants know who their sponsor is beforehand? If they do, What would prevent someone buying irons, driver or putter beforehand. Not every company is going to be releasing equipment 5 days before the event. Does this benefit the people with deep pockets?

I hope I don't come across as being negative. Just thought I'd share my thoughts. I see pluses and minuses to the change.

Proud supporter of the 2014 Morgan Cup!!

Barring something unexpected, all participants will know their sponsor beforehand and place order requests at the appropriate time when the sponsor gives the go ahead and options.

While we don't know when participants will place orders or what selection they will have, I don't think it would stop anyone from buying equipment in advance and getting used to it. I couldn't / wouldn't personally do that but would take the time to attend demo days or fitting events and perhaps roll a putter that was similar or same as I would be playing in the event.

Year after year, tee to green is important but making putts is ultimately what ends up winning points so if I was to buy one piece of equipment to adapt to it would be the putter.

#rambleover :)

Just getting caught up with this. My first reaction was that this was a bad idea. That the best golf wouldn't be played. Then I thought about it and this is what I think. While the players might not play their best golf, the best golfers will probably prevail. Let me explain my thinking. Golf is all about adapting. We practice by hitting balls off of perfectly flat, clean lies. But how many times during a round are we presented with a perfectly clean,flat lie? How many times have we had to adapt to changing speed of the greens? The best golfers are able to adapt their swings/games to the current conditions. This will just add one more thing to adjust for. The better golfers will adjust more quickly and thus will prevail.

I also think JB is foreshadowing another change. If the sponsors are going to be able to provide the latest equipment (I think his example was Callaway and the XHot driver that was released 5 days before the MC) then maybe the players will not be picking their equipment. Maybe the players get fitted and send their sponsor the specs. The sponsor puts the player in the best equipment for those specs. Imagine what that Sponsor Day would be like! The player would have no idea what is in his staff bag. Now that would be like Christmas in July!

Very interesting thoughts FireItUp, that would really crazy and special indeed.

Very interesting thoughts FireItUp, that would really crazy and special indeed.

Thanks Cookie. I think it would help the players too. Sometimes when purchasing equipment we let our egos/emotions move us to equipment that might not be best for us. This would let the sponsor get each player into the best equipment for them and then use sponsor day to explain why.

Thanks Cookie. I think it would help the players too. Sometimes when purchasing equipment we let our egos/emotions move us to equipment that might not be best for us. This would let the sponsor get each player into the best equipment for them and then use sponsor day to explain why.

This 1000x

I like your thoughts on this buddy.

Interesting thoughts there and would make for a very interesting process indeed!

Fireitup,
Those are very interesting thoughts indeed, but we firmly believe that those participants in the Morgan Cup, should definitely have a say in the equipment they will be competing with.

Fireitup,
Those are very interesting thoughts indeed, but we firmly believe that those participants in the Morgan Cup, should definitely have a say in the equipment they will be competing with.

No one will disagree there, but having sponsor input would've helped a ton of guys down there his year.

TTing

Back