Ever Catch a Cheat?

Dunn6253

Reaction score
Handicap
practice
Have you ever caught someone blatantly cheating during a round? Did you confront them on it? I haven't caught anyone doing it on purpose, just a buddy or two that forgot a stroke or two during the course of a round.

Yes. It was very uncomfortable.

Yes I have my buddy always adjust his ball on most his lie's and its annoying. And when I call him out on it he always tells me to calm down and its not the PGA Tour.

My group of college buddies includes one guy who won't count all his penalties. We all joke about it since we all play for fun. It used to bother me until I started beating him even when he wouldn't keep an accurate score!

Yes. A relative of mine tees the ball up from fairway/rough and moves ball out from trees/hazards without penalty stroke and then compares his scores to mine as though we played an even game. He works under the "we're not pro's" mindset, which is fine, except when he proceeds to brag about scores afterwards. :-/

I see a lot of guys "rolling" there ball in the fairway. I do not and will not do it unless it is approved in a scramble etc. I find a lot of seniors think this is a correct way of playing. I have called them on it but they do it anyway.

Constantly. I golf with many casual golfers. They will lie about scores after the hole and everything. It adds much stress to a round.

I play with good friends for no money just beers. I don't play for money, so no pressure to call anybody out. If I played in a league or a tournament, it would be a different story. I'd be compelled to be careful for myself AND my opponents.

Yes, but the people I have caught cheating were not really competitive with me so I just laughed it off. Never in a big tournament with competitive golfers in the heat of battle though.

We play a fairly loose game and frankly I don't care what anyone does or what they score. I am playing against myself and my last score/swing/hole ect... I count my strokes and take my penalties because the only person I am cheating is myself. Most of the courses we play on are pretty busy and we will generally just play all the stakes as red rather than white or else it just turns into a long day for everyone. If buddy wants to hit one into the bush, drop, hit on and 2 putt and tell me he got a 4... I again don't really care, he isn't on my score card and I'm not on his.

It does drive me up the wall when we are playing for money and that stuff goes on. There are 2 or 3 guys I just won't bet with anymore because its so unrealistic. I have always figured the "we aren't on the PGA tour" thing is right... but you have to realize that when the time comes and you have a really great round and shoot in the 70s, its going to be really cheapened when your game tracker is already full of rounds that low where you stole 5-10 strokes a round.

Have you ever caught someone blatantly cheating during a round? Did you confront them on it? I haven't caught anyone doing it on purpose, just a buddy or two that forgot a stroke or two during the course of a round.

I let people play however makes them happy. Had a guy beat me once by a stroke and he was super excited. I didn't mention his 3 mulligans, penalties in every trap for grounding club, hitting outside the tee box, rolling the ball, and switching balls on the green to his "putting" ball. I just shook his hand and said good win =)

Yes, I've shouted out "Hey nice foot wedge, where'd you pick that one up?" more than once. It's never been in a competitive round, though, just playing with friends, but like others I get annoyed when they do it and then act like their scores are legit.

We have one friend in particular who always has these amazing rounds playing with people we don't know... but when he plays with us, he's routinely carding high 90's/low 100's and using his foot wedge or improving his lie. Constantly. It's almost a running joke now.

I didn't catch him during the round - but once I was playing in a tournament at my home course....It was a big charity event where the Low Gross and Low Net each year were invited back the next year to play with a tour pro and the club pro in the final foursome. No one in our group played well. After the round, I was stopped in the hallway by one of the ladies running the scoring table and she says "Boy, Mr. Smith in your group's looking pretty good. He must have really had it going." Now, Mr. Smith probably shot about 120. I asked her what he posted and she said "79 with a 16 handicap, why?" It just blew me away. I asked to see his card. He gave himself a birdie on the first hole...a hole where he hit 2 balls OB. It just went downhill from there. He card was total fiction. I got hold of one of the other guys from our group and he confirmed that the score was closer to 120. The dude was DQ'd on the spot. Really unbelievable that someone could cheat like that and then still look themselves in the mirror.

We play a fairly loose game and frankly I don't care what anyone does or what they score. I am playing against myself and my last score/swing/hole ect... I count my strokes and take my penalties because the only person I am cheating is myself. Most of the courses we play on are pretty busy and we will generally just play all the stakes as red rather than white or else it just turns into a long day for everyone. If buddy wants to hit one into the bush, drop, hit on and 2 putt and tell me he got a 4... I again don't really care, he isn't on my score card and I'm not on his.

It does drive me up the wall when we are playing for money and that stuff goes on. There are 2 or 3 guys I just won't bet with anymore because its so unrealistic. I have always figured the "we aren't on the PGA tour" thing is right... but you have to realize that when the time comes and you have a really great round and shoot in the 70s, its going to be really cheapened when your game tracker is already full of rounds that low where you stole 5-10 strokes a round.

I just remembered calling one guy out at a tournament we played in. On the long drive hole one of the guys rolled out off of the fairway and was a few yards short of the long drive. His partner kicked the ball on to the fairway before he even saw it and told him he was the long drive and to write his name down. His logic was that it was okay because he wasn't cheating for himself.

In my club, we have a guy who always finds his ball hit into the crap. Always.

One day after his third miracle find, I decided to test our club theory that he always kept a spare same number, same marking ball in his pocket. The next time he hit into the woods, I found and pocketed his ball. Sure enough, he found "his ball" a bit further out but with a near perfect lie.

After the round, I placed his ball in the middle of the table where a dozen of us were having drinks. He said, "Hey that's my ball". I said yes. I found it in the trees off 17 where you hit it today. I picked it up after you announced you found your #4 in a different spot. Imagine that.

He sputtered for a second then said, "That one must have been one I lost over there Wednesday." Since no one in the group had actually played with him Wednesday, no one could refute.

Just for fun I checked with the starter to see if he had played Wednesday. They had no record of him having signed in....

You make the call.

Not any time that is mattered, I know that when playing with some of my buddies it is expected to see some stretching of the rules but it doesn't bother me. Those guys rarely beat me and it almost gives me more motivation to play better so that I make sure to play all the rules and still beat them.

My father in law always plays bogey golf, shoots even 90. Called him out on it when he was trying to rag on me in front of my wife. Needless to say wife wasn't happy cause I didn't let daddy get the last word in.

When I was qualify to get my PGA Class A card I played with a guy that pencil whipped his score card and got his playing partner in on it. In 36 holes he had 13 adjusted scores. I reported him after our 27th hole and again when we finished.

He was DQ'd lost his job at a private club in south Florida.

When I was qualify to get my PGA Class A card I played with a guy that pencil whipped his score card and got his playing partner in on it. In 36 holes he had 13 adjusted scores. I reported him after our 27th hole and again when we finished.

He was DQ'd lost his job at a private club in south Florida.

Do you think he could have shot his score without the magic eraser on any other given day? It seems like a real slippery slope. Once you start cheating regularly and showing off those low scores, how do you stop and not lose face? I am always surprised when I hear about real low handicappers pulling that stuff... but then again not really that surprised when I play with guys who talk a real low handicap and see how they got it.

Do you think he could have shot his score without the magic eraser on any other given day? It seems like a real slippery slope. Once you start cheating regularly and showing off those low scores, how do you stop and not lose face? I am always surprised when I hear about real low handicappers pulling that stuff... but then again not really that surprised when I play with guys who talk a real low handicap and see how they got it.

Not on his best day, he was all over the place. He had no business in the qualifier

I saw a teammate do it in high school...while I was one fairway over playing the next hole. I saw them searching and searching. And I watched as he dropped a ball out of his pocket into the rough when he couldn't find his. He totally thought no one was watching....I called him on it after the round. He kept denying it. Even my dad saw it. Pissed me off. He already wasn't one of my favorite people...After this I never trusted another score I saw from him. Our coach at the time did absolutely nothing about it....He was kind of a douche as well. Ridiculous I tell you.

Yep. In a tournament a couple of weeks ago. We talked about it quite a bit in the DFW thread.

NiteowlFIL was playing with a guy who took his ball out of a fairway bunker & played it off the grass. NiteowlFIL told me about it after the round, so I brought it up to the guy in front of the course staff. He flat out denied doing it at first & then got all PO'd & admitted he did it. What a tool.

I have caught a cheater before. I normally don't watch people, as if they cheat they are only hurting themselves. However this one round I was playing against my brother-in-laws and we had some pretty big stakes on the line. Needless to say on one hole instead of and 8 one of the brothers said he had a bogey. I confronted him and his response, "I didn't think we were counting penalty shots?"

Only once in a very casual match with my buddy and his co workers. He didn't want me to say anything. I wish I could have.

More often then I care to admit. Im a by the book count every penalty and stroke kinda player and I always ask before the round if they want me to keep their score or not, what to count etc. I dont think I could get better or be satisfied with a better score if I am constantly cheating even if I am by myself. Most guys I have played with tend to shoot a so and so and sure enough after the round they have a similar number tallied. Unbeknownst to them I like to count everyones strokes if at all possible just to see how big the difference is when done. Usually 4-5 strokes but I have counted 10+ strokes several times for someone. I actually appreciate when someone calls me out on a penalty that I didnt realize, etc. I want to be a better golfer all around and playing by the rules every time is the easiest way for me to achieve that.

Back