• Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Cruskater

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA Sucks
The thread on top 5 courses had me thinking. Most of my courses were either oceanside courses, American style links, or Sandhills type courses. Do you favor a specific type or have a ranking? I appreciate all types but growing up in the Northeast, parkland courses are just meh to me but I love a good seaside or sandy base course. Looking to get to Cabot and Bandon someday and hoping to squeeze in at Sand Valley soon (wish places had teacher discounts haha!)

Vote on your top 2 and let us know why. Are your top 5 or favorite courses all a certain type?

Less trees the better.

I've never heard them describes as "heathland" buts that seems to fit. Inland links.

Less trees the better.

I've never heard them describes as "heathland" buts that seems to fit. Inland links.
If there is a tree, I find it! I once landed my ball in a hole/knot in the only tree on the hole at Paiute Wolf out in Vegas. I generally like palm trees for their skinny width haha!

Went with seaside and sand hill.

Technically haven’t done euro linksy yet, but I’m sure I’ll love it. More options and creativity the better 😍

Mountain courses are a blast. It's usually target golf all day with holes that make you think.

I've never actually played a links-style course. It's on the to-do list, although I'm not ponying up for Bandon Dunes any time soon.

I voted American Links. I really enjoy the freedom that the tee ball provides, and the level of focus that is needed from there. While I’m not a big wind guy, I’ve always found it fascinating how much wind can play a role on courses like this.

If there is a tree, I find it! I once landed my ball in a hole/knot in the only tree on the hole at Paiute Wolf out in Vegas. I generally like palm trees for their skinny width haha!
It's not for the hazards necessarily. In my experience, fewer trees make for easier maintenance and generally nicer courses for the cost.

It's not for the hazards necessarily. In my experience, fewer trees make for easier maintenance and generally nicer courses for the cost.
And better turf quality. Our home course cut some trees around the greens last year and the quality of the turf (and the speed) increased

Seaside courses/American links. We are lucky up here to have a bunch of them. They are fun.

I love desert golf over all other golf.

Parkland.
Makes it more difficult to recover from errant shots. You have to go real high or very low, or bend the hack out of it..
Demands good control off the tee because you can be in the fairway and still not have a clear shot to the green because you are in the wrong side of the fairwayand there are overhanging trees to go under, over or around. Discouraging swinging from the heels bombing and keeping golf a strategic target sport.

I love them all but after playing the Morgan cup at Hammock Beach I will always pick seaside courses.

I don’t think I’ve played a true Euro style links course, but I think that would be close second to mountain golf for me.

Toss up between Seaside/American Links and Parkland.
I like courses that tell where to go and frame the shot a bit.
3rd would be true links.

Toss up between Seaside/American Links and Parkland.
I like courses that tell where to go and frame the shot a bit.
3rd would be true links.
I love this because I'm actually the complete opposite. Shows how diverse perspectives are on courses and design. I like various options such as daring me to cut the corner on a waste area or a pond, taking a safer route to a narrower part of the fairway, or the safest route of hitting an iron to a fat part of the fairway. I like envisioning different options and ball flights as I walk up to my ball. I hate having my hand forced. There's a 9 holer near me with a 90 degree dogleg at about 175 and 200 in. Fairway is too narrow and trees too mature to hit over. Only option is an iron off the tee followed by something else (from the back tees it is about 190). I've never made par or played with anyone who did haha.

Palmetto free

I went parkland. There’s just something about being in the trees that resonates with me.

I haven’t played many of the options though, so my experience is limited.

I love links and links-style courses. I'll marvel at the beauty of any great course. But the look of a nice link/links-style course will really get the juices flowing.

I voted other. I love 1920s to 1960 built country clubs, usually found in small towns. Usually 6,200 to 6,700 from the tips with large trees and terraced, undulating greens. No gimmicks, bulldozed mounds, elephants squirting water, just straight forward golf. A small 19th hole full of lies and tall tales with cold beer, strong drink, friends and a decent TV is a big plus.

Senatobia MS has a wonderful one. The old Navy Base course in Millington, TN. Not a small town but Memphis Country Club, a Donald Ross course.

Golf as it was , links style , what nature built and with minimal human contrivance.

Not the outcomes of architects , designs that don’t augment what already exists

Any course that's plays firm and fast, drains well, has interesting greens and isn't choked by water hazards and OB everywhere.

The exact "style" or whether it has views of the ocean matters much less.

American Links
I've yet to make it over to try European, but it's high on my want to play list

Back