Fitting Question - Shafts

NeverWiff

Reaction score
Handicap
13.4 GHIN
so.... i'm going to be heading for an iron fitting (and trying a few different brands). I am curious as to what others have experienced regarding shaft choices...

Once a fitter finds the optimal shaft for say, "Iron A"... will that likely be the shaft that will (or should) perform the best for "Irons B, C, or D" assuming that they area the same "class of irons" but different brands? (For example, all may be game improvement irons but from different manufacturers)

I know there are no absolutes but "generally speaking"....
I am sort of expecting a lot of "it all depends" but not having had a deep dive into shafts so, i'm curious.
Cheers!

In general, every fitting has started with establishing a baseline. They’ll look at your swing data with your clubs and get a rough idea on the shaft. They’ll pick a shaft, then start swapping heads. You’ll go through different product lines and brands to narrow down a couple of choices.

From there, they will start swapping out shafts within what seems like will be the best head until they find a winner. They’ll also toggle shafts with a couple of iron heads to see if there might be an alternative.

In general though every fitting I’ve had has been club head then shaft. With that said, they have not always plugged in the same shafts. It can change based on club head performance and availability

I was between 2 heads when I did my fitting a few weeks ago. One head was slightly heavier than the other. There was definitely a difference how they felt and performed with each difference shaft we tried. Not a big difference but enough where the fitter and I felt really good about one combination.

It definitely can be different shafts in different heads. They probably won't be dramatically different though.

Not sure if this is a universally accepted method but my fitter found a shaft that worked well with a few heads first. Then he confirmed that by subbing in and comparing a few similar shafts just to be sure. Once the shaft question was answered we went through a bunch or iron head designs before ultimately ending up where we did. The shaft stayed the same even though the heads ranged from GI, Players Distance, to MB designs.

Club Champion is big on the find the shaft first, using a head that they think will be in the ballpark for you, then that shaft goes into the different heads until you find what they say is the best combo. I'm sure that works a lot of the time, but I personally don't think that it should be such a fixed process. I know that I have personally taken a shaft that I was fit into and put it in a different head with not so good results, but have also had the opposite, where a shaft I was fit into worked great in another head. 🤷‍♂️

I had a 90 minute fitting with Club Champion the other week. About an hour and 10 was spent on finding a shaft and about 20 minutes finding a head. It felt like a completely wasted 90 minutes (and $175) to me as I came away non the wiser understanding what I needed.

My CC fitting session was shaft AND head focused...in other words, after establishing a base with my own 7 iron, he grabbed a couple of different heads and shafts, got me narrowed down to a specific shaft and 2 heads, then focused on which head. Tried some other heads after we had picked one just to see if there would be a change and nope. Ended up with TS100s Titleist irons with LA Golf shafts and I couldn't be happier. Definitely curious to see what the Mitsubishi event has in stored!

When I fit I thought it was valuable to find a decent shaft for the player first (maybe not the optimal but something in a good ball park). Then we could try different heads using that shaft to see what head shape we liked. Once we narrowed down the head shape I would like to finish with what I thought the optimal shafts would be based on the data and the "test" shaft we found.

More often than not it was the "test" shaft, but every so often something similar would be more optimal

My CC fitting session was shaft AND head focused...in other words, after establishing a base with my own 7 iron, he grabbed a couple of different heads and shafts, got me narrowed down to a specific shaft and 2 heads, then focused on which head. Tried some other heads after we had picked one just to see if there would be a change and nope. Ended up with TS100s Titleist irons with LA Golf shafts and I couldn't be happier. Definitely curious to see what the Mitsubishi event has in stored!
My CC fitting was similar to @G8rJimbo, We found the head first then did the shafts. I do think that a shaft can feel very3 different in 2 heads.
After cycling thru 4-5 heads he ended up on what I had Cobra heads then started on shafts and I was also fit into the LA golf shafts. I will say they did feel very nice but I couldn't justify the expense which would have been more than the set was new.

I feel like this is the Chicken or the Egg question, Is there a right answer?

My CC fitting was similar to @G8rJimbo, We found the head first then did the shafts. I do think that a shaft can feel very3 different in 2 heads.
After cycling thru 4-5 heads he ended up on what I had Cobra heads then started on shafts and I was also fit into the LA golf shafts. I will say they did feel very nice but I couldn't justify the expense which would have been more than the set was new.

I feel like this is the Chicken or the Egg question, Is there a right answer?
I agree on finding the head first. How do you find a shaft with no head anyway😂😂. I’ll ask what they had in mind amd a few things about their game. Then I’ll pick 2 heads in my mind and give him one to hit and go from there.

I’ve fit into the same shaft 3 times now with 3 different heads. We always try a few others with similar profiles but always come back to the AMT White S300. After we decide we’re going to go forward with that shaft, we start going through heads. In my last fitting I hit 4 different heads before nailing it down.

It's an interesting question, For me - it's all about how I 'feel' the swing. Balance is the most important - if it's head heavy then it doesn't seem to work for me and I thought it was to do with shaft weight and that flex was crucial - but after a number of 'fittings' and testing - for my swing - the balance is really important for me to be able to feel where the club head is the swing. I've gone from 95g graphite to 115 steel in the irons with different heads. The 95g graphite didn't work in the new heads and vice versa. So I would go with the fitter but you might find you need to go back and forth between your favourite heads with alternate shafts to find the best combo.

Just my 2c worth. YMMV.

A

I’ve fit into the same shaft 3 times now with 3 different heads. We always try a few others with similar profiles but always come back to the AMT White S300. After we decide we’re going to go forward with that shaft, we start going through heads. In my last fitting I hit 4 different heads before nailing it down.
I look at my driver, I love my Paderson Velocity and could easily have a couple heads in mind that I’d be good with amd pick out the best one.

Back