Flight Simulation (PC)

JRod

Reaction score
Handicap
4.2 USGA
I've always been intrigued by this and due to older age ( hand eye coordination what) I'm no longer enjoying fighting and reaction games.

I've recently purchased a real power desktop and would love to take advantage of it.

Any of you guys in to this? I know we have a few pilots here. I'm looking for realism and great graphics.

Share your opinions on both software and hardware !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can ask my buddy later tonight, he's huge into flight sims. Always had a sick setup growing up with joysticks and the works. There's some pretty cool sims these days.

I can ask my buddy later tonight, he's huge into flight sims. Always had a sick setup growing up with joysticks and the works. There's some pretty cool sims these days.

Through my research I've found Microsoft flight simulator x seems to be the "best" but that's the internet talking.

I would greatly appreciate it bro !

Through my research I've found Microsoft flight simulator x seems to be the "best" but that's the internet talking.

I would greatly appreciate it bro !

I think he plays one that's a little older but I'm not 100%. Will know more later. I remember a long time ago even on his old sim i was trying to get the damn jet going and off the ground and was struggling hard lol he loves it

You can't go wrong with Flight Sim X. Lots of add-ons both scenery and aircraft if you are willing to spend the money. PMDG is a company that makes airliners that are as close to the real thing as you will get.

Tap Talking my way thru the World of golf!

You can't go wrong with Flight Sim X. Lots of add-ons both scenery and aircraft if you are willing to spend the money. PMDG is a company that makes airliners that are as close to the real thing as you will get.

Any opinions on hardware such as sticks and even pedals?

CH Products use to make a yoke and rudder pedals setup that was pretty decent. I've been out of it for awhile so not sure if they're is anything newer.

Look at AVSIM.com. they were the go to aviation simulation website back in the day

Look at AVSIM.com. they were the go to aviation simulation website back in the day

Awesome thanks for the help!

Welcome. If you have any questions. Ask away.

You mean people on the internet exaggerate things?

Flight Simulation (PC)

If you find that 737 sim I can provide you with tons of material and expertise. I can teach you how to take off, turn the autopilot on at 500 feet, push buttons for 5 hours while listening to the flight attendants complain about the passengers, eat a crappy airport sandwich and then deal with 15 minutes of mayhem as air traffic control tries to fit you in for a landing. After that we can go for an overpriced dinner, sleep in a uncomfortable bed while there is a room party beside you, get a 4am wake up call to do the trip home.

If you find that 737 sim I can provide you with tons of material and expertise. I can teach you how to take off, turn the autopilot on at 500 feet, push buttons for 5 hours while listening to the flight attendants complain about the passengers, eat a crappy airport sandwich and then deal with 15 minutes of mayhem as air traffic control tries to fit you in for a landing. After that we can go for an overpriced dinner, sleep in a uncomfortable bed while there is a room party beside you, get a 4am wake up call to do the trip home.

This made me laugh so freaking hard!

To the OP, I was a mod on a remote controlled aircraft site long ago. There were a multitude of genius level minds there who were also into sims etc. I'm talking about guys who would build cockpits in their garages etc. do some google searches for sim videos. Be prepared to run down a few rabbit holes, but it will be rewarding!

JM

Hey wait. You're living my life!

Not sure how much they cost, but the F-16 sim I got to fly in Aviano Italy was pretty cool. :alien:

I haven't tried it myself, but my son tells me that x-plane 10 is very realistic. It does require a lot of graphics processing power however. He says that flight sim x is a great choice also, especially with a larger community of avid users. I used to play with flight sim 98 and combat flight sim quite a bit, but it's been a while. A good joystick with good trim and throttle functions is a must for me, especially with the combat sims.

Jrod, FSX is still the program that the most add ons can be found for. The others have varied levels of stuff out there. X plane has better flight dynamics but I don't think nearly the number of quality planes. Keep in mind FSX was released over 10 years ago and Microsoft sold that portion of the business. It's technically been reincarnated as Prepar3d from Lockheed Martin. That's why when you go out you'll see a lot of stuff works for FSX and prepar3d. I second the PMDG recommendation. Planes are pricey 60/70 bucks but they are as close to accurate as you can get without sitting in the real plane. They work with Boeing to make sure the stuff is accurate. As for peripherals I used both CH and Saitek. I liked my Saitek yoke and pedals better. So much easier than using a keyboard.

I've got a few links I can send you if interested. PM me.

Jrod, FSX is still the program that the most add ons can be found for. The others have varied levels of stuff out there. X plane has better flight dynamics but I don't think nearly the number of quality planes. Keep in mind FSX was released over 10 years ago and Microsoft sold that portion of the business. It's technically been reincarnated as Prepar3d from Lockheed Martin. That's why when you go out you'll see a lot of stuff works for FSX and prepar3d. I second the PMDG recommendation. Planes are pricey 60/70 bucks but they are as close to accurate as you can get without sitting in the real plane. They work with Boeing to make sure the stuff is accurate. As for peripherals I used both CH and Saitek. I liked my Saitek yoke and pedals better. So much easier than using a keyboard.

I've got a few links I can send you if interested. PM me.

Wow that's great info I will be getting in touch with you later! Thank you!

Not sure how much they cost, but the F-16 sim I got to fly in Aviano Italy was pretty cool. :alien:
When did you do that? I did some work on some buildings out that way at my old firm.

When did you do that? I did some work on some buildings out that way at my old firm.
Way back, summer 2000, I guess. It was after Allied Force (Kosovo and all that) and we were having a big post-operation (read: work 12s for 100 days or so) party. They let some of us fly the sim.

Way back, summer 2000, I guess. It was after Allied Force (Kosovo and all that) and we were having a big post-operation (read: work 12s for 100 days or so) party. They let some of us fly the sim.
That's really neat. Our work there was much more recent than that.

I've certainly heard of flight sim X and you can't go wrong there. As an alternative, my brother, who enjoys flight sims, also suggested X Plane 10. I've never heard about it, but that's what he recommended. Apparently it comes on 8 dvds, which seems rather large.

~Rock

I've certainly heard of flight sim X and you can't go wrong there. As an alternative, my brother, who enjoys flight sims, also suggested X Plane 10. I've never heard about it, but that's what he recommended. Apparently it comes on 8 dvds, which seems rather large.

~Rock
X Plane has beter flight dynamics but the graphics weren't quite there as I remember. The add-ons available for flight sim x can really turn it into a total immersion of the aviation world.

X Plane has beter flight dynamics but the graphics weren't quite there as I remember. The add-ons available for flight sim x can really turn it into a total immersion of the aviation world.

Yea, I just watched a youtube vid for X plane, graphics appeared 10 years old. But he did say it excelled at 'realism.'

~Rock

Back