Forgiveness vs. Workability

So if I want to get better I should buy clubs that are harder to hit? :bulgy-eyes:
Getting feedback from your clubs that lets you correlate body movement to a particular strike (vs. the same body movement seemingly being a good strike on a GI club) then using that feedback to change your swing can help you improve.

I'd be willing to bet there'd be folks on here willing to help if you needed it as well.

Good point! After the King, this idea may be getting the true ponder treatment. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Getting feedback from your clubs that lets you correlate body movement to a particular strike (vs. the same body movement seemingly being a good strike on a GI club) then using that feedback to change your swing can help you improve.

Assuming that one did not get equal feedback or enough feedback for the body to adjust/notice with a larger iron.

My eyes give me all the feedback I need, but still - it's a fallacy to say a GI club doesn't offer feedback into the hands and ears.

To some extent this is true. But, I think vast improvements in golf clubs over the years do not make this as much of an issue.

I remember 15+ years ago hitting incredibly forgiving irons and not being able to tell whether I mishit them or not. To an extent, this masks whether you are doing something incorrectly with your swing.

There are irons now, however, that allow for forgiveness while letting you know of you've made a proper strike. There's just not the same missing element of "feel" from GI irons.

Looks is a valid concern, in my opinion, because everyone's tastes are subjective, and people should enjoy the irons that they use. But, today there are some very, very nice looking GI irons.

Assuming that one did not get equal feedback or enough feedback for the body to adjust/notice with a larger iron.
Yep, very true.

Also in the mix is that the player must have the ability to correlate feedback to something meaningful in their golf swing, have enough time to practice and be athletic enough ability to make the changes. Some of us lack in those areas so the value of any "extra" feedback we might get from one club over another can be limited.

I have those blades in my garage, but you can easily find find a used blade iron to practice with at Play It Again Sports or thrift shops

Sorry I thought you were speaking in a general sense for the masses.

For me, I can still tell with GI irons if I hit a shot flush on the sweet spot or not. I just get the bonus of not losing as much distance and such when I do miss.

Sorry I thought you were speaking in a general sense for the masses.

For me, I can still tell with GI irons if I hit a shot flush on the sweet spot or not. I just get the bonus of not losing as much distance and such when I do miss.

And this is why I want to change. I've opened my eyes to more GI headshapes over the last year, and discovered that, yes, indeed I know exactly where I missed it upon contact, but then I look up and the shot is much better than I expected. Which is a nice feeling.

If you don't like offset and maybe a teensy bit smaller head with a good deal of forgiveness, look at the AP1's. There are others out there to be found as well.

If you don't like offset and maybe a teensy bit smaller head with a good deal of forgiveness, look at the AP1's. There are others out there to be found as well.

They're definitely on the list, need to go back and read your review too. For those following along at home, another good option is the Wilson Ci11's/C100's.

Didn't love the 11's, but yea they are an option. Want to go old school sexy? Ci7's :)

Good call very nice set they are plenty forgiving and still look good

Back