Full swings with wedges... do you?

pattyboy21

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It took me a LONG time to figure this out. I used to take full swings with both my 56 and 60 when I had them (now I play a 53 and 58). The ball would fly very high, and even though many of the shots were online, I'd have to wait until the ball landed to see how short or long I would be. I probably swung full-out with my wedges for the first 30 years of the 43 I've played.

Now I work hard to flight the ball lower on most wedge shots, and control the amount of spin I impart. I still have varying degrees of success because it's hard and because I don't practice; but when the ball is in the air now, I know by feel whether I've hit a good shot or not. I also hit more greens and score much better by swinging less-than-full and controlling my wedges. It's a different swing with the wedges too (more connection, quieter hands, and controlling the flight and distance with body rotation), but learning how to hit wedges and practicing a lot will pay dividends.

Hogan - full wedge shots.PNG

Set GW and PW - yes I'll hit those with full swings. My 54* and 58* - never.

I hardly ever hit a full out wedge shot. Maybe an occasional PW.

I feel attacked by this thread. I don't know how I feel about this. I know your probably right but I want to be stubborn.

Interestingly -- probably because I'm bad -- my wedges are my most consistent full-swing clubs. Could also be the help of the CBX2's, but I prefer to full swing my 58* 100 yards then try to take 20 yards off my gap wedge.

I rarely hit a full wedge shot. With the exception of the actual PW (y)

I took nine full swing wedge shots at lunch today with a foam golf ball using my 58*. Eight were good, one was thin.
I've been practicing partial shots with month using regular golf balls and thought I'd try some full swings.

Last year the most reliable shot to stay on the green was a 54* SW full swing. I had good success from either the fairway or a bunker.

Last edited:
60 never. 56 usually not

I do often with my 50/56, rarely with the 60.....but it does happen. I have no clue on this flighting magic you speak of. 🤣🤣🤣

Nope not anymore

*Rory McIlroy has left the chat*

Never with the LW, occasionally if the number is spot on with a SW, frequently with GW and PW.

i almost always hit full shots, but obviously will hit less than full of distance dictates that. The swing is not as big as a driver swing but like to get PW to 130 or so, GW 115, and SW to 100-110

Yes. I’m inconsistent in distance and direction with partial swings. I’d rather have a full wedge in. Feel is no different than any other club and I get to keep my same swing. I’m not a feel player so partial wedges are tougher for me even using the clock.

Good question. I was going to answer yes. But thinking about it most of the time it's not a full swing.

Set PW and set GW - yes, all the time.
52* - on occasion.
56* and 60* - not if I can help it; bad things are going to happen.

I can hit my 54 100 yards and will when I need to get the ball up in the air. 58 can see a full swing out of sand, but it's not a distance club and usually is only used green side when I need to get the ball up in the air. PW and AW/GW are 10-11 irons.

Hmmm….I was always happy that I had a reliable 100-105 shot and now I’m sad.

100% agree. If I have a 100 yard shot, I'll normally hit a choke down GW. When I was a younger man, I'd try and hit a SW full swing and miss most greens.

I do with everything regularly except my 60*. Wedges are the strongest part of my game so I'll keep doing that lol

Pitching wedge and sometimes gap wedge. Those are kind of like a 10 and 11 iron though. Not the 56° or 60°

Yep, I probably do.

I don’t full swing with my sedges. Every time I do it goes bad and the results are horrible.

1/2 swing and 1/4 swing wedges are how I use them.

I hit my set PW, GW and SW on short par 3s as I have a nice local par 3 course.

Though its more of an 80% shoulder height swing. At least the feel any way.

I full swing my wedges. PW and GW absolutely. I'm trying to learn to not rely on a full 58 but I hit it better to that number than I currently do with partial swings on a different club.

Back