Function Meets Art - My Nead Custom Putter

Cool post Mr. Nead! I've often wondered about the face balanced matter and have asked quite a few people about it. Never has anyone put it in a way so easily understandable and as easy to replicate.

*now where's my phone book*

I somehow managed to post this via my HTC Incredible, the worst named product ever.

Gene, that's great info. I just checked three of my putters and all are quite different. On is very near face balance, while one is about 5 o'clock and the other 4 o'clock.

Now I deed to check my stroke, but I also want to make myself a cone and check the CG of my other putters, lol.

Great information, Thanks!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Keep i mind the shaft needs to be removed to find the balance point of your putter. An easy way to do it with the shaft on is if your right handed take the putter at the grip in your left hand, with the palm of your hand on the back side of the grip, hold the putter up in the air so the head is at about your belly button and the top line of the putter is parallel to the ground take a pen (plastic) with your right hand and tap it on the face in the sweet spot, then keep tapping and move the pen left and right it will rotate the putter in your hand when you move away from the sweet spot. you will get an idea if your putter is balanced if it seems like you can go further one way then the other before in turns in your hand.

Last edited:
Keep i mind the shaft needs to be removed to find the balance point of your putter

Oh, dang, that's not going to happen. But, at least I know one will be right.

I edited the my last post with instructions for testing with a shaft, it will give you an idea but is not going to be exact

I edited the my last post with instructions for testing with a shaft, it will give you an idea but is not going to be exact

That works Gene. It takes a little effort to make sure your not gripping too tight and that you tap in a straight motion, but I could clearly find the sweet spot. I tried the same three putters and only one seemed to be right on the money, (well one actually has no marked spot). My older Slotline was off by over an 1/8 inch while it was the face balanced one.

Great stuff, I love hearing stuff like this and am sure many others do as well.

On the weight for speed of the greens, I have a few professional's that I help and they seem to have different opinions but a few of them have putters in 10 gram increments and will go to the practice green and use whatever weight putter is takes for them to make the same stroke every time. If the greens are a little slower that day they use they heavier putter. Some go with more or less loft on the putter and others just use the same putter. A lot of those guys do change lofts for the type of grass that is being used, for example pebble beach Poa Annua grass which will grow in length throughout the course of a day so if they are playing in the afternoon the greens will be a little slower so they may choose a putter with a little more loft.

That works Gene. It takes a little effort to make sure your not gripping too tight and that you tap in a straight motion, but I could clearly find the sweet spot. I tried the same three putters and only one seemed to be right on the money, (well one actually has no marked spot). My older Slotline was off by over an 1/8 inch while it was the face balanced one.

Great stuff, I love hearing stuff like this and am sure many others do as well.

I hope it helps

Gene

On the weight for speed of the greens, I have a few professional's that I help and they seem to have different opinions but a few of them have putters in 10 gram increments and will go to the practice green and use whatever weight putter is takes for them to make the same stroke every time. If the greens are a little slower that day they use they heavier putter. Some go with more or less loft on the putter and others just use the same putter. A lot of those guys do change lofts for the type of grass that is being used, for example pebble beach Poa Annua grass which will grow in length throughout the course of a day so if they are playing in the afternoon the greens will be a little slower so they may choose a putter with a little more loft.

Interesting stuff. It makes sense, why not if you are a pro. I'm not that crazy about having two identical putters in 10g incriments, lol. Some of these guys who play at a much higher level will get something from that as well as those that play Pebble and the courses around it.

Congrats due,

That looks like it is going to be a real beauty.

Man I am not sure I want to ever get the craving for a beautiful putter collection. My problem is that I am completely taken by the feel of a good golf shot, be it an iron or a putter or a wood, it just does not matter. That is what floats my boat about golf to begin with. To get that feeling and to know the subtle differences from one club to the next is something that I think is very special in this game and that is what I am really addicted to when it comes to golf. I just don't think I could resist putting with these things and some of them are just too beautiful and too valuable to do that with, I think??????

Congrats due,

That looks like it is going to be a real beauty.

Man I am not sure I want to ever get the craving for a beautiful putter collection. My problem is that I am completely taken by the feel of a good golf shot, be it an iron or a putter or a wood, it just does not matter. That is what floats my boat about golf to begin with. To get that feeling and to know the subtle differences from one club to the next is something that I think is very special in this game and that is what I am really addicted to when it comes to golf. I just don't think I could resist putting with these things and some of them are just too beautiful and too valuable to do that with, I think??????

Thank you jnug. Keep in mind that Gene is what I would consider a master craftsman in his field builds these putters very reasonably. When you consider that the majority of shots you make each round is with your putter it just makes sense to have the best one for you. I play with an older model driver prefering to spend my money towards a quality putter that just feels right.

The THP outing is a great place to have the chance to try a ton of different products and decide for yourself, thats where I first learned of Gene and his products. Your absolutely right that nothing beats the feel of THE club that just does it for you. Good luck in finding yours.

Thank you jnug. Keep in mind that Gene is what I would consider a master craftsman in his field builds these putters very reasonably. When you consider that the majority of shots you make each round is with your putter it just makes sense to have the best one for you. I play with an older model driver prefering to spend my money towards a quality putter that just feels right.

The THP outing is a great place to have the chance to try a ton of different products and decide for yourself, thats where I first learned of Gene and his products. Your absolutely right that nothing beats the feel of THE club that just does it for you. Good luck in finding yours.

Very well put Duey. Very nice.

Excellent info for everyone too Gene, that's just too cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is time for me to try a next serious putter anyway. I have been gaming a three button Newport. SC has its proponents and its detractors. I really do not pay any attention to that. I like it because of the way it takes my putting stroke. The ball rolls really nice off the face of that putter for me.

Since the putter is so friendly to my putting stroke it has turned out to be a tremendous lag putter. I hardly ever run the ball too far past and hardly ever leave it way short. So I give myself a darned good chance of holing long putts without often incurring a penalty in the form of a tough putt coming back.
As good a lag putter as it is for me, since the three button Newport does not include any sight lines at all, it makes things a little difficult on putts of five or six feet or so. I don’t have a “pop it” Johnny Miller, putting stroke. I have more of a full putting stroke and when I want to tighten that up, for something more than three feet but less than ten feet, I sometimes find myself having difficulty making a smooth stroke and still making contact mid-face because the shorter mid length stroke is just difficult to get mid-face without a single sight line. Plus I am under the added pressure of knowing that the putter does not take off center putts well. I could just send the putter in to SC and have sight lines cut into it but I wanted to putt with it as it was designed and built by SC and I wanted to leave it all original as a collectable piece as well. The ball sounds and feels terrific coming off the face of that putter, at least to me it does.

I like Gene's concept of what an insert putter should be as well and I think one of the Nead putters will be a great next serious putter for me and a great alternative to the three button Newport. Going into the winter will be a good time to have both putters to work.

You are right due, the Nead putters are reasonable especially when you consider the craftsmanship, the functionality and the beauty of the finished piece. There are certainly many custom or even specialty putter suppliers out there. I really like the cleanliness of his lines and the fact that his putters look like they are made for putting. Many of the “super” putters have so much going on visually that they lose that feeling of functionality for me. His putters are beautiful to me in the sense that a polished granite stone intended for a building façade is beautiful to me. His putters ooze craftsmanship instead of glamour and I find that really appealing in golf clubs generally and putters in particular. Gosh I hope he does not consider that a left handed compliment because I really mean it to be an unqualified sign of appreciation for what he is doing. Of all the custom or specialty putters I have looked at, none of them have struck such a resonant chord with me so quickly and so effortlessly.

Wow jnug, great post. You really broke things down well and sounds like your well on the way to figuring out what will fit you best. More so than me at this point.

I know I've asked Gene to do multiple things with this putter to fit me, but have no idea if all those things together will work out or just get in the way, lol. Like an off set flowneck on a face balanced putter, but well see.

If nothing else it will narrow things down that much closer and should look nice, haha.

Wow, there is some great information in this thread. Thanks to Mr Nead for sharing your knowledge!

WOW lots of great information on this thread. Thanks to duey and Gene and everyone else for the insight. I can't wait to see more pictures of your newest super toy there due.

Wow, there is some great information in this thread. Thanks to Mr Nead for sharing your knowledge!

WOW lots of great information on this thread. Thanks to duey and Gene and everyone else for the insight. I can't wait to see more pictures of your newest super toy there due.

Thanks guy's, this is a learn as I go kinda thing. I'm guessing Gene's forgotten more about putter making than I will ever learn, add to that his metalology and you have the perfect putter, IMHO. I'll try to get a few more pictures up today, but I don't have a whole lot more to share yet, although these are the best of the bunch for showing what the final results will look like.

The putter is currently off to get the black ox done and Gene say's he uses one of the very best in the industry. I may post a few pictures of other putters built by The Nead Custom shop.

I am kicking myself right now. In looking at his site and several putters I remembered that I had wanted his company logo on this putter, I forgot to tell Gene, lol. Dang, that would have been cool, but too late I'm sure.

"It's not a want, it's a NEAD!"

I am kicking myself right now. In looking at his site and several putters I remembered that I had wanted his company logo on this putter, I forgot to tell Gene, lol. Dang, that would have been cool, but too late I'm sure.

"It's not a want, it's a NEAD!"

Ask if he can do it on the sole for ya, would look good stamped there anyways IMHO.

Ask if he can do it on the sole for ya, would look good stamped there anyways IMHO.

I can check, but has already sent to the other company. I don't want this to get too busy, but on the sole would look great with the signature he already added.

I can check, but has already sent to the other company. I don't want this to get too busy, but on the sole would look great with the signature he already added.

Ah, thats right! I already forgot about the sig, nevermind then. Its going to look gorgeous as is!

Mean Gene is such a tease with the pictures he's sent me, lol. Get a load of these babies. My old chunk of metal is turning into a beautiful swan, thanks to the talented hands at Nead Custom Putters. Thanks Gene, how can I sleep for the next week, lol.

Here he's bending the neck to get my offset flow neck.
Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Here's a picture I've already shown, but give a good look at the flow neck.

Picture025-1.jpg

Saweeet job Gene! His signature is on the sole, bottom picture.

Picture029.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Any more pictures for me today Gene? Come on buddy, lol.

wow that is beautiful!

That is going to be a beautifull looking stick there Due!! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Back