Georgia Golf Get Together

Georgia Golf Get Together

• KellyBo in Georgia

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Tiger Woods in Dubai

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We had a blast today SMG, no one was playing particularly well but the absolute highlight of the day was SW pitched one in for eagle from about 60 yards. It was beautiful. :clapp:
As always I had a great time with my two friends OG and SW, great folks for sure.

Ditto on the Eagle by SW! It was a beautiful day weather wise and and company was good :blob:. The golf was oh well lets try it again next time :beat-up:

Here is what I have set thus far for the Georgia Golf Outing:

Saturday March 24, 2012

Golf at River Pines Golf Course in Johns Creek, GA.

8:00 - 9:00 Meet/Greet/Check In
9:00 - 9:45 Range time
10:00 - 10:20 Tee times in foursomes (12 people)
3:00 - 4:00 Grab a bite at local eatery
4:30 - 6:00 Invade Golfsmith Xtreme or PGA SS

NOTE: The 10 am tee time should allow those driving in that morning enough time to get to course. I plan on having a closest to pin contest with a prize award. I am working another contest with a donated prize from golf store. Keep fingers crossed. I apologize but I left my notepad with greens fees at office but believe they were in the 50.00 range.

I am trying to work a deal with Echelon so all times would remain same even if course changes. It will be in exceptional shape because many people play it during Masters Week. I am waiting on return call. I was looking at Wolf Creek as a possibility at first but it didot work out logistically. We will have to play it at some point.

Sunday March 25, 2012

I have set tee times are The Creek at Hard Labor at 10:00 am. I set this up as a foursome so let me know who will be playing.

NOTE: This course is located in Rutledge GA approx 45 mins east of Atlanta along I-20 East.

I will provide addresses in the next day or so.

I will be posting more info as we get closer. If you have any questions or suggestions shoot me a PM.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new new ones.

TapAhoy!

Last edited:
You can count my roommate and I out. Those fees will kill us. I hope you all have great time though! Take plenty of pics!

Tappin' away from my DROIDX

Regretfully I too must withdraw, I just found out last night we will be having guests from out of state coming for this particular weekend and there is no way I can sneak away for the entire day. See you fine folks next time.

I should be good to go. I just need to confirm with the "boss," but I don't anticipate any issues.

$60 seems a little high for River Pines, even on a weekend morning. (I thought their "peak" rate was about $50.) Maybe that includes range balls as well...

They gave me a price of 59.00 but I will check again on any reductions. You never know.

TapAhoy!

They gave me a price of 59.00 but I will check again on any reductions. You never know.

TapAhoy!

haha tell them to give us a group deal as we might come back and bring more folks next time! Maybe they can give us an afternoon rate or something.

Sorry folks. The price is 49.00. Must have got that from another course. Good catch ATLGolfer. Change made in OP.

TapAhoy!

Thanks SMG! River Pines looks like a great course.

Looks like a fun place for us go! :blob:

Note: You can take me off the Sunday round.

Last edited:
Had an opportunity to tee it with THP member and fellow Georgian Rusty today. I had a blast. We played Echelon Golf Club and it was everything I had heard and then some. It is one of the longest and most difficult courses in Georgia. From the tips the rating is 155. Well I wasn't teeing it from there. Rusty did me a favor and agreed to play with me from the whites. First couple of holes we both were even. Then he stopped toying with me and put the game in full motion as my wheels fell off. He is a fantastic driver with that Cleveland Classic. Listening to him talk about it after our round made me want one.

I had trouble most of the day. I would double or triple a hole and then follow it with par. I will say I became a fan of the Callaway Hex Black as I hit some great shots with it until it chose to find the water. Even birdied one hole with it.

Rusty and I commented that the front didn't have all the side hill lies as mentioned in this months Golf Digest mag. Echelon was one of the featured courses in GD. What did we say that for because the back nine was full of them. This course is breathtaking on the back nine with huge elevation changes. I remember one hole was about 270 up hill.

I can't wait to play this course again and for everyone to get a chance tp tee it with Rusty at the Georgia Outing. I would urge everyone to put this course on your must play list. You will challenged and rewarded.

Downside is the course does not have club house. It was built as a private course in a subdivision but got caught in the real estate bust so the subdivision never full developed. The only other issue was the driving range was a good bit from clubhouse trailer but you are using a cart so no big deal. The staff was friendly and very helpful.

I only took one pic with phone of a hole on back nine.

a6f86b0d-601f-de24.jpg

Looking forward to seeing everyone at River Pines on the 24th.

TapAhoy!

Enjoyed the round SeeMoreGuy! I thought about taking my camera, but I'm kinda glad I didn't since that 3 some was on our tail all round and I wouldn't want to hold them up with photo ops....

Anyway, it was a great round even though that back nine showed its teeth. Shortly after SeeMoreGuy took this picture, I totally lost the ability to hit a golfball. You just can make out the start of the Par 5 coming back up the hill to the right of those trees. A 417 yard par 5. That's not a typo at all. And I dare you to get there in 2. (I think I got on in 5).

I really think the lack of a clubhouse makes this a poor choice for an outing. There is nowhere for us to sit around and chat after playing. And the nearest bar is pretty far away, too. Really nice course, though.

Here is what I have set thus far for the Georgia Golf Outing:

Saturday March 24, 2012

Golf at River Pines Golf Course in Johns Creek, GA.

8:00 - 9:00 Meet/Greet/Check In -- Check
9:00 - 9:45 Range time -- Check
10:00 - 10:20 Tee times in foursomes (12 people) -- Check
3:00 - 4:00 Grab a bite at local eatery -- Check
4:30 - 6:00 Invade Golfsmith Xtreme or PGA SS -- Check

NOTE:
The 10 am tee time should allow those driving in that morning enough time to get to course. -- Check

I plan on having a closest to pin contest with a prize award. -- Check

I am working another contest with a donated prize from golf store. Keep fingers crossed. -- Check

I apologize but I left my notepad with greens fees at office but believe they were in the 50.00 range. -- Check

I am trying to work a deal with Echelon so all times would remain same even if course changes. -- Check

It will be in exceptional shape because many people play it during Masters Week. I am waiting on return call. -- Check

I was looking at Wolf Creek as a possibility at first but it didot work out logistically. We will have to play it at some point. -- Check

Sunday March 25, 2012

I have set tee times are The Creek at Hard Labor at 10:00 am. -- Check

I set this up as a foursome so let me know who will be playing. -- Check I WILL BE PLAYING !!

NOTE: This course is located in Rutledge GA approx 45 mins east of Atlanta along I-20 East. -- Check

I will provide addresses in the next day or so. -- Check

I will be posting more info as we get closer. If you have any questions or suggestions shoot me a PM. -- Check

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new new ones. -- Check ME TOOOOOOO !!!

TapAhoy!

-- Check

After playing Echelon yesterday I concur with Rusty. The Outing will remain scheduled at River Pines.

TapAhoy!

Echelon does look like a course that I'd like to play sometime, SMG. Funny, I always thought it was private. No reason. Just a bad assumption.

You assumption was correct vman. It was built as private course but the subdivision never developed due to reason estate bust. Very few 4 million dollar him were finished. The club remained private as long as it could but needed to generate revenue hence it has changed its policy. Rest assure when the homes are built the prices go up and it will be private again. However I expect that to take a few years.

Let me know when you want play and I will try to join.

TapAhoy!

You assumption was correct vman. It was built as private course but the subdivision never developed due to reason estate bust. Very few 4 million dollar him were finished. The club remained private as long as it could but needed to generate revenue hence it has changed its policy. Rest assure when the homes are built the prices go up and it will be private again. However I expect that to take a few years.

Let me know when you want play and I will try to join.

TapAhoy!

Yes, I would absolutely go back to play again, too.

I am totally unclear on Echelon's public play policy. Their website says they offer limited public tee times through Golfnow.com, and that's how we got on (and the times are not all that "limited", either). I think you can also call out there and try to get a time. I will say the staff was very friendly and welcoming, so we didn't feel like outsiders. I read last year they were offering fairly inexpensive memberships with no initiation fee, but there is no way my wife would join a club without a clubhouse.

All,

$50 is way out of my price range given the Outing is coming up and taxes are due, etc. If one of the rounds is in the $35 range, I'll play.

And if you go tear it up at PGA SS ir Golfsmith I'll come meet you for dinner & fun

Have fun

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echelon does look like a course that I'd like to play sometime, SMG. Funny, I always thought it was private. No reason. Just a bad assumption.

There are a lot of courses in Atlanta that currently fit that description. The Manor is a course/development in Alpharetta with a Tom Watson designed course that is now open to the public (and the rates are not that bad). Originally, this was supposed to be an uber-elite course and development with multi-million dollar houses. Of course, the economy happened.

Most of the in-town courses have been able to survive the economy, but a lot of the OTP courses (especially the ones that started in the mid-to-late 2000s) have stated becoming semi-private. I absolutely agree, though, that things will change in a few years when the economy is back on line.

At any rate, I need to start getting hooked in with the ATL golfers on this site. It would be a nice excuse to get out of the office.

There are a lot of courses in Atlanta that currently fit that description. The Manor is a course/development in Alpharetta with a Tom Watson designed course that is now open to the public (and the rates are not that bad). Originally, this was supposed to be an uber-elite course and development with multi-million dollar houses. Of course, the economy happened.

Most of the in-town courses have been able to survive the economy, but a lot of the OTP courses (especially the ones that started in the mid-to-late 2000s) have stated becoming semi-private. I absolutely agree, though, that things will change in a few years when the economy is back on line.

At any rate, I need to start getting hooked in with the ATL golfers on this site. It would be a nice excuse to get out of the office.

The Golf Digest article said that daily fee players are not allowed in the clubhouse at The Manor. I guess I can understand that, but it doesn't seem like a good way to seek out new members. Anyway, I would like to try that course sometime, too.

The Golf Digest article said that daily fee players are not allowed in the clubhouse at The Manor. I guess I can understand that, but it doesn't seem like a good way to seek out new members. Anyway, I would like to try that course sometime, too.

While I don't care that much about going into a clubhouse, that is a pretty crappy policy. If you're going to be semi-private and let chumps like me pay to play, just accept it and let chumps like me enter the clubhouse while I'm there.

Of course, with that said the course looks fantastic and I will certainly try to play there before they change their policy.

While I don't care that much about going into a clubhouse, that is a pretty crappy policy. If you're going to be semi-private and let chumps like me pay to play, just accept it and let chumps like me enter the clubhouse while I'm there.

Of course, with that said the course looks fantastic and I will certainly try to play there before they change their policy.

Most of the clubhouse I don't care about....but at least let us sit down in the grill and have a snack or something after the round. The Article said the best you can hope for is the bar that doubles as their halfway house.

Most of the clubhouse I don't care about....but at least let us sit down in the grill and have a snack or something after the round. The Article said the best you can hope for is the bar that doubles as their halfway house.

Hell, I'd be comforatble in the bar anyway!

not allowed in the clubhouse .... are we supposed to pee on the trees :arrogant: or is that banned too :confused2:

not allowed in the clubhouse .... are we supposed to pee on the trees :arrogant: or is that banned too :confused2:

Is this not normal :bulgy-eyes:?

Back