GHIN - Do you have One?

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Each year I look at the GHIN system and question "Do I need this?" Do you have one? Why? With all the tracking information apps, leagues, etc why should I buy a GHIN unless I want to play in a buddies club event? My Golf Shot app calculates my handicap, league gives me a handicap, and grint gives me an estimated one, so what is the point unless you really want to play in a "sanctioned" event?

Thoughts? Opinions? Convince me, maybe I'll grab one at the Chicago Golf Show with the GDGA if they have a promotion.....

I have one. It comes with being a member at my club but even before I was a member I had one to play with buddies or if I was invited to an event somewhere that it was required. Frankly it doesn't really cost that much so why not.

I have one. It comes with being a member at my club but even before I was a member I had one to play with buddies or if I was invited to an event somewhere that it was required. Frankly it doesn't really cost that much so why not.
Seems like many to have it, get it through their club so why not.... I'm not a member anywhere so the $50 is an extra round of golf for me.

Yes. I like to keep track, I also track all my stats using Shot Scope. Its not expensive and if anyone ever needs to verify its right there.

It just seemed more formal to me than using 18 Birdies like I was and I wanted to get more serious and accurate in tracking it

I have one I think mostly because I enjoy spending money on golf stuff.

Yes. I like to keep track, I also track all my stats using Shot Scope. Its not expensive and if anyone ever needs to verify its right there.
But that's what I'm saying with all the apps and so forth. I can pull up league scores via app with handicap, I can pull up my GolfShot which calculates it after every round, etc. The main thing is it allows for me to be searched on GHIN? If anything I probably have too many shot tracking devices :ROFLMAO: ShotScope tracks all my shots, I enter scores on GolfShot and then usually enter all my 18 hole rounds into Grint...... mainly because it used to offer that for free previously.....

I get it's $50 but why spend if if it's really just giving others a way to verify and enter club sanctioned tournaments?

The only reason I'm really considering is because my buddy has 1 tournament at his club he would like me to play where I'd need an official GHIN.

I do, being a member at a club now it makes more sense as I will need it through the year

That's a problem for me also but for some reason I'm stuck on this $50......
I was able to get it $5 cheaper through the Grint…

Nope not this year I won’t. Just made a video about it last night actually.

Short of it is I don’t want to give the USGA my money. For a couple reasons.
1. Ball rollback decision.
2. 9 hole reporting rule change

Who knows how long I’ll hold out but for now my resolve is on solid ground (in non reporting season 🤣🤣)

But that's what I'm saying with all the apps and so forth. I can pull up league scores via app with handicap, I can pull up my GolfShot which calculates it after every round, etc. The main thing is it allows for me to be searched on GHIN? If anything I probably have too many shot tracking devices :ROFLMAO: ShotScope tracks all my shots, I enter scores on GolfShot and then usually enter all my 18 hole rounds into Grint...... mainly because it used to offer that for free previously.....

I get it's $50 but why spend if if it's really just giving others a way to verify and enter club sanctioned tournaments?

The only reason I'm really considering is because my buddy has 1 tournament at his club he would like me to play where I'd need an official GHIN.
Because its official and can be verified. I don't know that other apps are considered official unless linked to GHIN. I know Arccos used to give you a hdcp but I don't recall seeing Shot Scope have one listed anywhere.

GHIN also has GPS and you can enter all your rounds as you play if you choose. Guess it just depends on your needs

I like to keep track of my handicap, but I basically keep a GHIN in the off chance I play in a tournament or event that requires it. Otherwise I'd be fine with a standard Grint handicap.

Nope not this year I won’t. Just made a video about it last night actually.

Short of it is I don’t want to give the USGA my money. For a couple reasons.
1. Ball rollback decision.
2. 9 hole reporting rule change

Who knows how long I’ll hold out but for now my resolve is on solid ground (in non reporting season 🤣🤣)
What’s the concern with the 9 hole reporting rule change?

Because its official and can be verified. I don't know that other apps are considered official unless linked to GHIN. I know Arccos used to give you a hdcp but I don't recall seeing Shot Scope have one listed anywhere.

GHIN also has GPS and you can enter all your rounds as you play if you choose. Guess it just depends on your needs
I have never found a course asking for a handicap that would accept anything but an official GHIN.

Have one through the Club. And with the phone App it is very easy to post scores. Worth having.

I have one, but I play in 20 or so tournaments a year. If you don't play tournament golf then not sure you need one honestly.

What’s the concern with the 9 hole reporting rule change?
That handicaps are going to become more meaningless vanity caps because it’s a lot harder to hold a round together for 18 holes than to have a nice 9.

I don’t have any idea what kind of algorithm they are using to calculate an 18 hole score for me based off 9 holes so I don’t like the thought of it

I join GHIN every year because I do like some of what they do and you need one if you play tournaments. I haven't played many, but I want it in place, so I have all score data in place for tournaments. I think it is good to join a local chapter of USGA through a tournament group or men's club at a course. Many of those have access to tournaments that you would not have otherwise.

Also, you do get some perks that come with membership. However, I do have some strong suggestions on how the GHIN handicaps should be calculated and not the current way, but that is another discussion and debate. 😅

Last edited:

Correct, I haven't found that in Shot Scope but the Golf Shot app I've been using for years when gps was becoming a thing has over 400 rounds entered. I get the "official" aspect of it, but my thought is, why is the money worth it for just being "official and verifiable"? That being said..... I have thought about entering a few local events that are offered where I would need it but haven't gotten to that point yet.

I have never found a course asking for a handicap that would accept anything but an official GHIN.
Correct, but I'm not playing in anything "official".

I have one, really only have it in case I get into handicapped THP experience or the occasionally money match I’ll play with buddies

Yes. As a member of a club, it is essential if I want to play in events.

Seems like many to have it, get it through their club so why not.... I'm not a member anywhere so the $50 is an extra round of golf for me.

Over the course of a year that doesn't seem like that much. Do whatever you feel like but I always felt it was worth it.

Required for my golf league and Mens group

I have one. One of the groups I play a couple tourneys for give $10 each tourney off if you are a member of their club. You get 3-4 2/1 specials. It pays for itself with the group. I don’t particularly care about having it.

Back