Going back to what works

Wonton

Sphincter says what?
Reaction score
Handicap
# Ish
I've been struggling with my 3 wood for a few years now. That's the one slot that I change the most often.
Then I thought back when I could actually hit 3w off the deck and one club comes to my mind... Ping i20 with PX 6.0.
I know my swing is now different than that period of time but I'm considering gaming this club again just to go back to what worked for me.

To you guys: Would you ever go back to a club that worked phenomenally in the past? What made you get rid of it?

I've been struggling with my 3 wood for a few years now. That's the one slot that I change the most often.
Then I thought back when I could actually hit 3w off the deck and one club comes to my mind... Ping i20 with PX 6.0.
I know my swing is now different than that period of time but I'm considering gaming this club again just to go back to what worked for me.

To you guys: Would you ever go back to a club that worked phenomenally in the past? What made you get rid of it?

I went back to the VSeries Heavenwood after trying to make the GBB version work.

yep, switched back to my old trusty putter. I was putting pretty well last year, and then tried two new ones this year, and couldn't get back to where I was.

Cleves back in the bag.

I've done this in a couple of ways.

One way is more, club type/class than a specific club. I've gone back to players irons now because after 8 or 9 changes away now its clear that I stroke the ball better with them because of confidence and focus.

The other is just a specific club, for me, the V-Series Heavenwood, it always finds a way back because no matter what, its consistent as all get out and I'm comfortable with it.

I've done this in a couple of ways.

One way is more, club type/class than a specific club. I've gone back to players irons now because after 8 or 9 changes away now its clear that I stroke the ball better with them because of confidence and focus.

The other is just a specific club, for me, the V-Series Heavenwood, it always finds a way back because no matter what, its consistent as all get out and I'm comfortable with it.

Club type is probably what it is. Maybe it's the smaller head shape 3w is something what works for me. Now thinking... since owning the i20, 15+ 3woods I've had since are all "game improvement" clubs.

If it works, who cares what kind of club it is.

My 3 wood is something that I shouldn't even consider replacing. For whatever reason that club is really steady for me, and I've never hit one that works better for me. But guess what I keep looking at in the marketplace and on the bay? If I ever did replace it, but it ended up not outlasting the honeymoon faze, I'd like to think I would go back to my current 3 wood with no hesitation.

What made me sell the i20 is simple. I wanted something new and shiny as we all do.
Luckily, I can buy one back for under $50.

i guess time will tell whether this was the smart move, but i moved away from a driver i had 1,000% confidence in as i searched for a little more distance particularly on mishits. ended up turning my driver from the strength of my game to a dumpster fire of inconsistency. put the ole faithful back in and drove the ball better than i have all year. so sticking with the trusty transformer for now.

i guess time will tell whether this was the smart move, but i moved away from a driver i had 1,000% confidence in as i searched for a little more distance particularly on mishits. ended up turning my driver from the strength of my game to a dumpster fire of inconsistency. put the ole faithful back in and drove the ball better than i have all year. so sticking with the trusty transformer for now.

What’d you try and end up putting back in? I think confidence and being able to put the ball in the fairway are the best things for a driver.

I was in a similar boat with my putter. I️ loved the Odyssey 6M and rolled it ok, but I’m just a better putter (maybe a mental thing) with my Scotty. Putting that back in the bag has transformed my putting and I’m sky high over any putt with it.

Close second is my driver. I️ loved the Epic, but was way more inconsistent than I️ would have liked. I️ put a driver in the bag that has me giving up total distance, but nothing in terms of carry. Most importantly dispersion is tighter and scores are lower.

I was having trouble finding a consistent 3 wood that helps me also. Very recently tracked down a Callaway XHot Pro 3 wood based on my positive experience with the 5 wood over the past 4 years. Have only played with it once since I got the same shaft in it as the 5 wood so time will tell. Have the confidence factor going for me though.

I was in a similar boat with my putter. I️ loved the Odyssey 6M and rolled it ok, but I’m just a better putter (maybe a mental thing) with my Scotty. Putting that back in the bag has transformed my putting and I’m sky high over any putt with it.

Close second is my driver. I️ loved the Epic, but was way more inconsistent than I️ would have liked. I️ put a driver in the bag that has me giving up total distance, but nothing in terms of carry. Most importantly dispersion is tighter and scores are lower.

i hope you never take that scotty out of the bag. it's gorgeous, and you roll it well.

What’d you try and end up putting back in? I think confidence and being able to put the ball in the fairway are the best things for a driver.

like mikeg, it was the epic. i recorded some of my longest drives ever with the epic, but at the end of the day i just didn't swing it well enough consistently enough. nasty misses, and never had confidence in it. for the last couple years i had the bridgestone j815 in the bag (looks like a transformer if you've never seen it). something about it just flat out works for me. the first round i put it back into play it was a freaking blast to see high, straight bombs again. and i have confidence to swing hard, something i lost completely with the epic.

Yes. I'm pleased to say that I'm able to hit my Cobra baffler 4 hybrid reliably again. It still draws heavy on occasion, but I was unable to use it for about 8 months earlier in the year. Then all the sudden I could hit it again. I don't have the explanation. I get between 220-250 with it off the tee, and usually around 200-220 off the deck depending on the conditions. I like using it off the tee when my driver has gone woncky on me. It's an old club, and I got it cheap out of the bargain barrel of the Golf shop. But it's in good condition and the shaft suits me perfectly.

I have an old Cleveland DST 3 wood.
It's 13° with an x stiff RIP shaft.
Every couple of years when things are going bad, it's goes in the bag.
Usually I get lined out from hitting it and get my confidence back.

Because we are Internet Golfers :act-up:

Welp... after reading what you guys have said, I decided to buy the i20 back. Got it for really cheap. Same specs as what I had before.
My opinion on this is... it shouldn't hurt me right? My 3wood game is already at a terrible spot so it could only go up from here. Man, I need lessons.

it shouldn't hurt me right?

I think the only thing you lose in this is the money. I don't see a whole lot that can go wrong from going back to a club that has worked for you in the past. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and you're out the time/money you invested in it, which doesn't seem like much if you said you got it for really cheap.

To answer the original question, I had an RBZ 3 Wood and 5 Wood with stock shafts that I hit really well but sold a while back. I found an RBZ Tour 3 Wood with a Kai'li in it and I hit it even better than before. Some clubs just work for some people, for whatever reason.

I think the only thing you lose in this is the money. I don't see a whole lot that can go wrong from going back to a club that has worked for you in the past. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and you're out the time/money you invested in it, which doesn't seem like much if you said you got it for really cheap.

To answer the original question, I had an RBZ 3 Wood and 5 Wood with stock shafts that I hit really well but sold a while back. I found an RBZ Tour 3 Wood with a Kai'li in it and I hit it even better than before. Some clubs just work for some people, for whatever reason.

The good news is, I don’t hit my 3wood as much as other clubs. Maybe 2-3 time a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone back to putters before but anything else I've always bought something new until I find one that works. I should really quit that!

Highly unlikely. I've been turning over my set using a full custom fitting. I've become a big believer as I've seen the difference it makes. In fact, just this summer I turned over my irons from a manufacturer's custom fit set to a full custom fit set because the difference was so pronounced.

P.S. Some might wonder the difference between a manufacturer's custom fitting and what I called a full custom fit. The former was constrained by the head and shafts offered by a particular manufacturer. The latter had over 10,000+ different head and shaft combinations across a large number of brands and both I and the fitter were brand agnostic.

I've gone back to putters before but anything else I've always bought something new until I find one that works. I should really quit that!

I’d say you and hicksta should start a support group, but I’m afraid the golf economy would riot.

I've gone back to older clubs when things didn't work out as intended. For me, apparently I do t get rid of many clubs. They just seem to move into a storage area for a later date!

I bought a 'new to me' putter last year.
Until then I was using an Odyssey Rossi putter that I bought used in '96.
I don't change putters that much.

I've tried a number of "newer" drivers, but I always go back to two old favorites that I alternate:
1. 2007 Burner, or
2. TM r7 CGB Max

The good news is, I don’t hit my 3wood as much as other clubs. Maybe 2-3 time a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing's for sure. You've got some nice choices for golf where you're from. I love those courses down by the water. Probably especially nice right now.

Back