Golf Etc iron fitting experience

Wake

Reaction score
Handicap
I went to Golf Etc in Lakeland, Fl today for an iron fitting. I had originally wanted to go to GolfTec in Orlando or Tampa, based on reviews I had read on this site. But everytime I had been at the local Golf Etc, I received great customer service, and I heard some good reviews from locals including my pro I've been getting lessons from. I always prefer to buy local for a variety of reasons, so off to Golf Etc I was.

My fitting began with the Mizuno Shaft optimizer. The computer spit out the True Temper GS95 as the top choice, and the Nippon 950GH as choice number two.

We then talked for a bit about my game, and what I was looking for in an iron and which clubs I have hit and what I thought of them. He asked me what irons I knew I wanted to hit, and then started building clubs for me. I hit the following clubs:
-TM R11
-TM Burner 2.0
-Callaway Razr X
-Callaway Razr X Tour
-Mizuno JPX 800
-Cleveland CG16
-Nike Vr Pro Cavity
-Titleist AP1
-Ping I15
-Cobra S3
-Adams Redline

I'm probably forgetting one or two more, there were so many.

I started hitting them, and talking my way through the clubs, telling him what I liked and didn't like about each club. Initial thoughts on each club

R11-Sweet, it was the first iron I hit, and I didn't know if it was only because of excitement for the whole process. But the irons just felt great.

2.0-Shocked at how mcuh I didn't care for these, I didn't hit them as well, and didn't care for the feel of them.

JPX800-Felt really good, was hitting some pretty good shots with them, these were defintily going to move onto the next phase.

Razr X-Didn't care for them. The feel was lacking compared to the JPX and R11. Wasn't hitting them poorly, but I wasn't getting the feedback I was from the others

RXTs-I was shocked I didn't like these more. I came in expecting to hit these great, and I just didn't. Was sad to mark these off the list because I really wanted to like them.

CG16-Another winner, the clubs felt great and I was hitting them even better. They didn't quite have the smooth feel or the feedback of the R11, but still felt great and they were definitly going to make it to the next round.

VRpro-I loved the look of these irons at address. They felt great, but didn't quite have the forgiveness of some of the other clubs. I still loved the feedback I got and decided to move them on.

AP1-This club didn't quite have the feel of some of the others. They were a bit heavier and weren't quite as smooth. However I got GREAT results. They flew straight and I got significantly more distance than any other club.

I15-Nope, just didn't like

S3-Felt ok, loss in distance compared to the rest, good accuracy however.

Redline-Honestly don't remember, didn't leave an impression I guess.

After considering the feel and looking at the results, I decided to hit the R11, CG16, VR Pro, JPX, and AP1 in the next round.

After hitting all of these clubs several times, the CG and R11 came out clear winners. I was getting great distance with both. The feel of the R11 was head and shoulders above the rest, and the CG's consistency set it apart, hit nice shot after nice shot.

I ended up taking both clubs home to take them to the range. Went to the range tonight and am going to the range again in the morning and back to the shop in the afternoon. The R11 is my top choice as of now, but we will see tomorrow.

Overall I spent two hours with the fitter today, and will spend at least one more with him tomorrow.

I've been very happy with the process so far, at no point was my fitter rushing me. He didn't seem to be pushing me towards one brand or another. He was very patient and helpful throughout the process. Taking time to explain the technology behind all of the fitting equipment and each club.

Anyone who has a Golf Etc in your, I would definitely reccomend them. I will update the thread after tomorrow.

Wow thats a long post. I just started typing and couldn't stop. Sorry guys.

Did you try out the Razr X Forged? They have way more feedback then the normal Razrs and the tours and they are very soft. (They will be about 1 club less then the R11/CGs because of club lofts)

I have hit the Razr X Forged in the past, and they are sweet sweet clubs. When I hit them in the sweet spot they were great. However, I simply don't have the game for them. I needed a little more forgiveness than they offered.

I have hit the Razr X Forged in the past, and they are sweet sweet clubs. When I hit them in the sweet spot they were great. However, I simply don't have the game for them. I needed a little more forgiveness than they offered.

I found them more forgiving then the X Tours (which were really disappointing when I swung them). Did you find the nike irons "hard" when you hit the ball?

I was dissapointed in the RXT's. I hit them at dicks one day and was pounding them. But that was just giving distance and not giving sidespin numbers. I just wasn't hitting them straight. The Nike's definitely weren't as "soft" as The R11's or Mizuno's, but I wouldn't describe them as harsh. I didn't mind the feel of them, they gave good feedback. I would love to play the Razr X Forged, but my ball striking just hasn't gotten to that point yet.

I was dissapointed in the RXT's. I hit them at dicks one day and was pounding them. But that was just giving distance and not giving sidespin numbers. I just wasn't hitting them straight. The Nike's definitely weren't as "soft" as The R11's or Mizuno's, but I wouldn't describe them as harsh. I didn't mind the feel of them, they gave good feedback. I would love to play the Razr X Forged, but my ball striking just hasn't gotten to that point yet.

When I bought my irons I was looking at putting in some aldila NV-85s into them and the guy handed me a VR (I think it was the blade not the CB) to hit with that shaft on it...I have NEVER hit an iron with a graphite shaft that made my hands hurt when I hit it square on the face I didnt even want to think about what it would have been like in steel.

Keep in mind the R11s and CGs are very strong clubs in terms of loft. 19 degree 3 irons and 32/31 degree 7 irons. So you should see more distance out of them compared to a few other models. With this being the case I would look closely at the spin numbers as well as maybe considering not using a 3-4 iron.

Good luck though I hope you are happy with whatever you get I know that getting fitted was the best thing I ever did.

Golf tec comes through again,thats fantastic. Good luck with your final choice

Golf tec comes through again,thats fantastic. Good luck with your final choice

I Didnt' get fitted at Golf Tec, went to Golf Etc. I know that can be confusing sometimes.

When I bought my irons I was looking at putting in some aldila NV-85s into them and the guy handed me a VR (I think it was the blade not the CB) to hit with that shaft on it...I have NEVER hit an iron with a graphite shaft that made my hands hurt when I hit it square on the face I didnt even want to think about what it would have been like in steel.

Keep in mind the R11s and CGs are very strong clubs in terms of loft. 19 degree 3 irons and 32/31 degree 7 irons. So you should see more distance out of them compared to a few other models. With this being the case I would look closely at the spin numbers as well as maybe considering not using a 3-4 iron.

Good luck though I hope you are happy with whatever you get I know that getting fitted was the best thing I ever did.

We discussed the lofting on these clubs. He said he would reccomend going with a 4-AW/GW setup instead of 3-PW like I originally was thinking due to the lofting of the clubs. I am thinking I might go with a 4-PW setup since I am playing a 52 degree wedge that I like. I might would then replace my 3 iron with a 49 Degree Niblick to bridge that gap a little bit.

Nice write up and glad to see you liked it.

I refused a fitting when I purchased my JPX 800s because I knew I had much work to do with my swing. I absolutely love these irons so I wouldn't go through the whole process but I'm ready to have them properly fit.

Are you gonna do their ball fitting too?

With the jacked up lofts in today's clubs you are basically getting 3-9 iron and then augmenting that with a 49* club that is really a PW. Sorry for the negative response as I am really happy seeing people getting fitted to clubs that they can play and not clubs that OEM's send out for the masses and people buy them and hope they fit okay. Well there is another negative statement. Good luck in your fitting process I am sure you will love what ever ends up in the bag.

Tgtt, I'm going through the final fitting on the clubs I choose today. I'll let you know how that part goes. I think I'm going to wait till I get my full set of irons before doing the ball fitting. Doesn't make sense to get fitted when I can't hit my long irons or Pitching wedge.

Gus, that is exactly what my fitter said. Said the justification behind the lofts are that with current technology the ball gets much higher. So the trajectory on a 6 (today's 7) is comparable to the old 7. I still say its so they can claim to be the longest irons, but I don't care too much what the bottom of the club says. If I buy a 4-AW and get a 3-PW, that's fine too.

Gus, that is exactly what my fitter said. Said the justification behind the lofts are that with current technology the ball gets much higher. So the trajectory on a 6 (today's 7) is comparable to the old 7. I still say its so they can claim to be the longest irons, but I don't care too much what the bottom of the club says. If I buy a 4-AW and get a 3-PW, that's fine too.

I was fitted for the CG16s earlier this year after going through a ton of different manufacturers. I had this discussion with my fitter and he had basically the same thing to say. After gaming them for a couple of months, I can attest that I actually get a higher flight out of my current 7-iron than I did from a traditionally lofted 7. I'm also seeing better results on approach shots as well as I'm getting the ball up higher. Can't wait to hear how the second fitting goes. The R11s weren't out when I was fitted. Whichever you choose, enjoy them!

Tgtt, I'm going through the final fitting on the clubs I choose today. I'll let you know how that part goes. I think I'm going to wait till I get my full set of irons before doing the ball fitting. Doesn't make sense to get fitted when I can't hit my long irons or Pitching wedge.

That is exactly right with more perfect placement of the COG in iron clubs today you are getting the ball up faster and higher and stronger lofts are needed to avoid ballooning shots.

That is exactly right with more perfect placement of the COG in iron clubs today you are getting the ball up faster and higher and stronger lofts are needed to avoid ballooning shots.

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Higher COG and you can still have the same weaker lofts. But by make the lofts stronger you can lower the center of gravity so you effectively hit the ball longer with out ballooning the ball. This is how you sell clubs today, marketing that the ball goes further with the same number on the back of a set of irons 15 years ago. Call it what you want it is all about the marketing when selling clubs. The first thing someone sees is they are hitting the 7 iron 10 yards longer than their current 7 iron and have to get this great set of sticks. This is one of the reason hybrids are so popular today. Hardly anyone can hit a 3 iron today because it is really a 2 iron or even a 1 iron if you want to go back 50 some years.

Long story short I ended up ordering a set of R11s with the true temper XP s300, hard stepped. I'll put up the details when I get to a computer.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Higher COG and you can still have the same weaker lofts. But by make the lofts stronger you can lower the center of gravity so you effectively hit the ball longer with out ballooning the ball. This is how you sell clubs today, marketing that the ball goes further with the same number on the back of a set of irons 15 years ago. Call it what you want it is all about the marketing when selling clubs. The first thing someone sees is they are hitting the 7 iron 10 yards longer than their current 7 iron and have to get this great set of sticks. This is one of the reason hybrids are so popular today. Hardly anyone can hit a 3 iron today because it is really a 2 iron or even a 1 iron if you want to go back 50 some years.

Having a lower COG mimics for a weaker player what a better player does with a better swing so that came first, strengthening lofts so better players could also benefit from the lower cog and other characteristics of improvement clubs came after. I don' see what is wrong with hitting the ball farther and straighter myself. No different than switching from hickory to steel shafts or to big head drivers, it just makes the game better in my opinion.

I have a Golf Etc right near me. I had heard that they do fittings, but wasn't aware that they were that good. Hopefully the one near me is as good of an experience as yours was.

Good luck with your new sticks!

After my range session last night, I was leaning heavily towards the Taylormade's. I took them back to the range today to see if the CG's could change my mind. The R11 just made my decision that much easier. The CG16 is a great iron, and I really liked it. If I had gone in a few weeks earlier before the R11 came out, its very likely I would have ended up with them. But the R11 is just a sweet feeling iron. A sweet spot hit is just so perfect.

So when I went back in today, I went right into getting the R11 fit for me. I hit a bunch of shots before, to make sure I was good and warmed up before getting it fit for me. First thing we did was get back on the Shaft Optimizer. I think swinging a stiff shaft gave me the ability to swing a little harder and not get out of control. I was previously playing a uniflex shaft. When I went through the 2nd time my numbers were:
SS-92mph
Tempo-4
Toe Down-3
Kick Angle-6
Release Factor 8

The options I was given were
Dynalite Gold XP s-300 (hard stepped)-117g
Project X6.0 125g
KBS X-flex (soft stepped) 130g.

I hit all three of the flex's, and while I liked the feel of the Project x's alot, I was much more accurate with the Dynalite. With my shaft choice figured out, we moved onto getting the specs right.

We started out with length. We started with a 1/2 inch long. This length felt much better than the standard. Went back to the standard again, and I immediately know it wasn't right. The longer shaft just puts me in a more comfortable position at address, and allows me to swing freer. We tried th 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch. But overall the 1/2 felt the best. So we moved onto lie.

Obviously started out standard lie. I was hitting it way out on the toe. So we tried 2* upright. I was still hitting out on the toe, but not by near as much. We talked bout going up 4*, but he felt that my swing would level out a little bit as I improve, making 2* the right lie. We went with 3* upright, feeling that was a good compromise.

We talked about set composition. I told him I really like my 52* wedge, and really don't like the idea of taking it out of my bag. His reccomendation was to bend the AW(50*) to 49*, Bend the 52* to 53* and replace my 60* with a 58* bent to 57*. This would be give 4* gap through all my wedges, and allow me to keep my wedge I like so much. I'm going to hit the clubs for a bit before bending anything and make sure that is what I feel is the best choice.

So my irons I ordered are
Taylormade R11
4-AW
TT Dynalite Gold XP s-300 (hard-stepped)
+1/2" 3* upright.

Overall Impression of the Golf Etc fitting:
I walked away EXTREMELY Impressed. Overally he spent over 3 hours with me on the fitting. I never felt rushed and he stopped at every oppurtunity to explain what was going on to me. It was done with the Flightscope system. The fitting took advantage of all of the latest technology, but it still had a very personal feel to it. I was a big reluctant to go to Golf Etc, simply because it didn't have any reviews online compared to Golf Tec or the like. But I could not be more impressed. The stated fee was $80.00 for the fitting, but since I ordered the irons from them, there was no fee. So I got over 3 hours of service for free. I don't know if you would get that much attention at Golf Tec or any of the big stores. Not nocking Golf Tec or any others, but I just walked away very impressed.

He said we will do a full ball fitting when I get my irons in, however he reccomended a few balls for me just from what he had seen.

If you have a Golf Etc near you, I would certainly consider them when getting fitted. I don't know if all stores/fitters are as good as mine, but its worth considering.

I have a Golf Etc right near me. I had heard that they do fittings, but wasn't aware that they were that good. Hopefully the one near me is as good of an experience as yours was.

Good luck with your new sticks!
Have had some experience with our local Golf Etc franchise---it seems ok but with any franchise it is only as strong as the principal partners--and if my swing ever comes to the point of some sort of repeatability wouldn't hesitate to use their services

Great thread. I'm sold (when I finally have/make time).

Ball recommendations? Do you have you any experience with what he recommended?

Off the top of my head the Balls he pointed out were the Prov1x, 330RX, 20XIX, Penta, Nike One Vapor Speed, and Z-star. I've played the 330RX, 20XIX and Penta, and like all three of those. The 20XIX is probably my favorite ball, but they are just expensive with no deals to be had. I have been playing mid priced balls lately since I am still losing quite a few on my drives. The only ball under 30 I have really been impressed with is the Gamer V2. It feels the closest to a premium ball out of all of the under 30 crowd. Which is nice because it is under 20 even. The one I'm tempted to give a whirl is the Nike One Vapor Speed, they aren't too bad price wise. I'll be interested what he has to say when I do the full ball fitting. I did notice the software had a specific setting for ball fittings.

Off the top of my head the Balls he pointed out were the Prov1x, 330RX, 20XIX, Penta, Nike One Vapor Speed, and Z-star. I've played the 330RX, 20XIX and Penta, and like all three of those. The 20XIX is probably my favorite ball, but they are just expensive with no deals to be had. I have been playing mid priced balls lately since I am still losing quite a few on my drives. The only ball under 30 I have really been impressed with is the Gamer V2. It feels the closest to a premium ball out of all of the under 30 crowd. Which is nice because it is under 20 even. The one I'm tempted to give a whirl is the Nike One Vapor Speed, they aren't too bad price wise. I'll be interested what he has to say when I do the full ball fitting. I did notice the software had a specific setting for ball fittings.

There are youtube examples of the FlightScope ball fitting and it is pretty impressive as it lets you group the balls differently.

Again, keep us posted.

Congrats on the new sticks!

tap tap tap...

Back