Golf Memberships - 2022 edition (price hikes)

#troy

Jax, FL
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
THP- My club increased our membership dues 40% next year.
While still affordable compared to private clubs, I find this quite excessive.
We have 125 members, +40 on a waiting list.

How is your club handling next year's membership offerings?
Any big changes?

40% ?!?!?!?! That's outrageous.

We get very small bumps every couple years. Our membership is also at capacity presently. It went up 20 dollars per month last year, and I was not pleased. If it goes up again, I'll be very, very unhappy.

We're waiting to see. Our club is going through an ownership change right now and we have no idea yet what the new owners are going to do with memberships. We're actually not even sure yet who the new owner(s) are going to be. Pretty unsettling feeling.

I am a member at a public course. The course saw a lot of players this season and rates stayed the same as last year. Will be interesting to see what happens going into next year.

40% :oops: This kind of nonsense is part of the reason why I don't belong to a club

40% ouch! If our course goes up much, I am out as there are other courses I can join, just have to travel a bit further is the only problem.

40% :oops: This kind of nonsense is part of the reason why I don't belong to a club
I doubt any private club would increase dues 40%

40%?!!? That's crazy.
When was the last time the fees were raised? If they were stagnant for several years, I can see the increase.

Are you intent on continuing or are you giving your spot to someone on the waiting list?

My local course doesn't do memberships. I don't think.

Wonder if that increase is due to the large waiting list and the ability to have a money grab.

A 40% increase is insane. My membership at the University course is $165/month for unlimited golf and cart fees. Ole Miss hasn't released the 2022 fee schedule yet.

The local country club monthly has stayed the same but initiation has jumped 50% in 2 years.

FULL GOLF

Privileges: Access to all amenities
Initiation Fee: $7,500.00
Dues: $365.00 per month
Food Minimum: $50.00 per month

The recent discussion on this topic on Off Course was interesting. Around here, there's a very affordable three-course partial membership type thing that now has a really extensive waiting list. Pretty sure they're gonna *severely* hike up the price soon (It's a two-year thing, so it hasn't yet been adjusted for much of the recent boom).

40%?!!? That's crazy.
When was the last time the fees were raised? If they were stagnant for several years, I can see the increase.

Are you intent on continuing or are you giving your spot to someone on the waiting list?

My local course doesn't do memberships. I don't think.

This was my second year, and they remained the same both years.

While I made some great friends, I submitted my resignation today.

40 percent seems too much like extortion. Seems a smarter strategy would've been to raise it smaller, 15 percent tops, and open membership to 10 or 15 off the wait list. 125 is a small number of members imo.

thats craziness. I hope no one re-ups.. Talk about treating people poorly.

My course is the same price this year as it was last year. They do their pricing with tiers by month. So if I buy this month it'll be a bit less than if I buy next month then if I buy the month after etc etc That goes until April then it's a flat fee for the rest of the year. Kind of backwards but it promotes people to pay early and just be part of the club for the next year.

Wonder if that increase is due to the large waiting list and the ability to have a money grab.
for certain. They make more money on general public tee times than members. We however eat/drink after rounds, my bar tab will thank me

40%?!?!

1634840346258.gif

40% ?!?!?!?! That's outrageous.

We get very small bumps every couple years. Our membership is also at capacity presently. It went up 20 dollars per month last year, and I was not pleased. If it goes up again, I'll be very, very unhappy.
Yeah I joined my Club in May of 2016 at a junior rate of $325 + tax. They have raised it some every year except for this year and I'm at $385 + tax. A few of the members think they are going to do at least a 10% rate hike in January. I think it will make a bunch of people mad because the course is in pretty bad shape as is the service and amenities. It's been declining over the last 5 years but especially since Covid.

I almost started a thread on this as well. We are at capacity at our club with 325 members. I got in on a "promotional deal" at $375 a month for a family plan (golf, cart, range, etc.) with no initiation fee. After that ended, it went up to ~$525. I paid a $500 "initiation fee" and it kicked the dues back down to $375. If my club was going to raise dues by 40%, I would want a detailed plan/timeline on what/where/how the extra funds will be used. I'm not opposed to paying more if it means nicer conditions, but I would need to see some commitment from the club.

But back on subject, I looked at getting a second membership at a local men's club. They currently have a waitlist, but the initiation fee went up by a significant amount over the last year. My thought was once the regulations of COVID relax a bit and people are back to work, the waiting lists will disappear, clubs will NEED members again, and prices will settle back in. I feel like everything is artificially inflated at the moment. I want to join the other club but it's an expensive proposition to play only once/twice a weekend because it's 40 min from my house.

My local course (disclaimer: not a member) is not going up for 2022, however they are doing away with all of their "partial" memberships where you get X amount of rounds plus cart for a set fee. You have to purchase a full membership.

Their junior membership is only $350 for unlimited weekday golf & driving range use, which I may sign up son up for next summer.

40% is excessive but it’s always dictated by local supply and demand.

Our membership is capped at 350 members and we have about 10-15 memberships turn over every year with a small waiting list. The dues have remained the same the last 3 years and the downstroke to join(equal to about 20 months worth of dues) has gone up about 25% since since I joined 4 years ago. They have a few junior memberships up to age 38 with little to no initiation fee and smaller monthly dues.

40% increase? They could take that club and shove it.

This is one of the reasons I would not belong to a club. Just not my thing.

I haven’t heard any from my club for 2022, but we did go up $30 this year.
It’s still what I think is the best deal in the state, but if it goes up again will have to reevaluate

40% increase? They could take that club and shove it.

This is one of the reasons I would not belong to a club. Just not my thing.
We're watching our club carefully to see what the new owners do. There's another club across town with similar (but improving) course conditions, two 18s (our club only has one), and monthly membership dues are roughly the same as ours currently are. Both are semi-private clubs, the only downside to the other club is that it's much more crowded and has a slower pace of play. If our club jacks dues way up or charges some ridiculous "initiation fee", a lot of members will be bailing to the club across town - and they'll be more than welcoming. They're prospering and making a lot of improvements to their courses and amenities, while our club has been struggling and going downhill due to previous poor management.

I am a member at a public course. The course saw a lot of players this season and rates stayed the same as last year. Will be interesting to see what happens going into next year.
I have a similar setup. Our course was packed in 2020 and raised rates substantially in 2021 and it has been much less packed. I am very interested to see where we go this year.

Back