Golf Shaft Length

Thanks for the tip PJ. I'll keep that in mind on windy day's. Bet that stinger takes some practice!

JB,
Thanks for a great write-up and great test. Very interesting!

I read something a while back, and I might have even posted it on here before. Anyway, a guy as a lark made two drivers. One driver was very long off the tee, but not very accurate for all those people he had try it out. The other driver was a lot more accurate, but much shorter in distance off the tee than the other driver. After everyone was done with his/her session with both drivers he asked them which driver they preferred. Almost all of them said the more accurate driver. At the end of his seminar he asked if anyone would like to purchase one of his drivers. Quite a few did, and paid their money. Which driver did most of his audience purchase? The longer distance, less accurate driver. On his order sheet he asked a question why they chose this driver. 75% responded because of the "bomb & gouge" method being used by the tour players.:banghead:

Golf Shaft Length

If you cut your driver down to say 44 inches. Ok now you have changed your mind as golfers sometimes do. Would it affect the play of your driver by using an insert to add the length back? Most golf shops can add an insert to bring it back to 45.

How much distance loss can you expect, cutting a shaft about .5"? From the test, is it safe to assume about half the yardage loss going from 45.25 to 44?

It would depend on the person. That is why we urge everybody to get fitted properly.

How much distance loss can you expect, cutting a shaft about .5"? From the test, is it safe to assume about half the yardage loss going from 45.25 to 44?

It won't be exactly the same but if you choke down an inch or two it shortens the effective length of the club.

Thanks for the tip PJ. I'll keep that in mind on windy day's. Bet that stinger takes some practice!

Glad I could help, I use that shot all the time down here in the wind. It will not go as far but it goes straight. Good luck.

:cool:

If you cut your driver down to say 44 inches. Ok now you have changed your mind as golfers sometimes do. Would it affect the play of your driver by using an insert to add the length back? Most golf shops can add an insert to bring it back to 45.

Depends on how thoroughly it was shortened. If you really want to get everything just right when shortening a driver an inch you have to pull the head, add weight to either the head or the tip of the shaft, trip-trim the shaft so that the flex remains the same with the added headweight, then put it all back together and butt-trim to finished length (if the tipping didn't shorten it enough.) If the person shortening it went all out like that, lengthening is a bit of trouble - you can get the weight out and add an extension, but now the shaft will be a good bit stiffer -- no good.

But if the shortener went the easy route and just lopped an inch off the butt then putting an extension back in will be just like it was originally. If they added weight the head may have to be pulled to get it back out, but that's no biggie to the clubmaker.

So I guess the short answer is "maybe." :blob:

Back