Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else ever heard of this Youtube channel called, "Golf Sidekick". The guy posts videos about playing smart golf, the mental side of the game and course management. Ive watched a few of his videos, I like his style and I like how he teaches getting the ball in the fairway, getting the ball in the green and playing the high percentage shot, instead of going for the hero shot. I like how he teaches that golf can and should be stress free and really isnt that difficult if you play smart.

There is another thread on him that was posted recently, but not sure where it is. He is fun and entertaining to watch and makes some great points too and especially about playing relaxed. His sister has golf videos too.

Yep. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago. Fun videos and some creative content to show the difference between player levels. Like I’ve heard many times the short game is key.

Yep. I posted a thread a couple weeks ago. Fun videos and some creative content to show the difference between player levels. Like I’ve heard many times the short game is key.
Sorry, I didnt notice that. I really like his theory about how when you are in the rough, just hit get it back into the fairway, instead of trying to hit the hero shot. I tried this yesterday and was hitting 6-iron or 8-iron, even when I thought I could probably get a 5-wood onto it and I think it is a better way to play it. Something that advances the ball 150 yards and gets you back into the fairway is better than duffing it.
I also really like his theory that you should chip with a lower lofted club around the green and get the ball rolling, rather than pulling out a high-lofted wedge and trying to fly it there.
His bunker shot video is good too and how he teaches to slap the sand with the back of the club. Im not the world's greatest bunker player but I tried that a bit yesterday and it does seem to work.

There is another thread on him that was posted recently, but not sure where it is. He is fun and entertaining to watch and makes some great points too and especially about playing relaxed. His sister has golf videos too.
Thanks, sorry I missed that. You are right that his videos are fun, albeit a bit cheesy at times. I laugh every time he says, "bause" and, "what a playa". :ROFLMAO: I like what he does though. If you really think about it, golf is a silly game and we all take it too seriously at times, especially people who do golf instruction.

Sorry, I didnt notice that. I really like his theory about how when you are in the rough, just hit get it back into the fairway, instead of trying to hit the hero shot. I tried this yesterday and was hitting 6-iron or 8-iron, even when I thought I could probably get a 5-wood onto it and I think it is a better way to play it. Something that advances the ball 150 yards and gets you back into the fairway is better than duffing it.
I also really like his theory that you should chip with a lower lofted club around the green and get the ball rolling, rather than pulling out a high-lofted wedge and trying to fly it there.
His bunker shot video is good too and how he teaches to slap the sand with the back of the club. Im not the world's greatest bunker player but I tried that a bit yesterday and it does seem to work.
With so many threads and so much activity its pretty easy to miss stuff. Sometimes I cant find what Im looking for. ;)

Nice reminder on the lessons... play what you're able... play smart. No hero shots. But those are what make golf fun!(y)

With so many threads and so much activity its pretty easy to miss stuff. Sometimes I cant find what Im looking for. ;)
Yeah, I see theres like 3 threads on this topic now. My bad on that one.
I'll admit that I mostly skim THP every day, otherwise I'd spend like 3 hours on forums every morning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I follow his FB group also, he was leading the voting on YouTube for favorite golf channel as of yesterday or the day before.

I like his approach and he has a lot of good thoughts on course management and stress-free golf without taking deep dives into swing mechanics. He's a good golfer, but plays with some mid/high handicappers and shows how/where they can improve. Fun videos to watch, good content and entertaining enough to hold my attention.

I really enjoy his videos, as well. I think Matt does an excellent job of not only showing the way to play relaxed golf, but I actually started watching his videos to see his strategy on course management. I think he does an amazing job of pointing out his perspective on managing the course, laying up, etc. I've also been finding some real benefit in his "Way of the Playa: 6-6-6" strategy to break 80. I've been really trying to focus on the "6 GIR, 6 Up and Down, 6 'Birthday' Holes".

Thanks, sorry I missed that. You are right that his videos are fun, albeit a bit cheesy at times. I laugh every time he says, "bause" and, "what a playa". :ROFLMAO: I like what he does though. If you really think about it, golf is a silly game and we all take it too seriously at times, especially people who do golf instruction.

I thoroughly enjoy his videos, and my game significant improved after taking some of his advice - like no hero shots and just enjoy.

Sometimes things are too serious, and he’s a nice reminder to me.

I do like the guy, just seems to have an attitude to the game that I enjoy and take a lot from. Mostly just about basic course management which should be obvious but I seemingly forget it constantly.

I do like the guy, just seems to have an attitude to the game that I enjoy and take a lot from. Mostly just about basic course management which should be obvious but I seemingly forget it constantly.
He has a decent swing too. I think he has been playing since he was young. He cracks me up with the "hero" shot stuff. He makes chipping look easy and he can smack a 2 iron. Some of his videos show his bad shots too, which is nice to see. He has hit many in the drink just like the rest of us.

I know sometimes I take the hero shot but not as often as I used to. I judge each situation separately. Not long ago I hit a sweet hero shot right between a bunch of trees, but we all know that is super high risk and usually costly.

I really enjoy his videos, as well. I think Matt does an excellent job of not only showing the way to play relaxed golf, but I actually started watching his videos to see his strategy on course management. I think he does an amazing job of pointing out his perspective on managing the course, laying up, etc. I've also been finding some real benefit in his "Way of the Playa: 6-6-6" strategy to break 80. I've been really trying to focus on the "6 GIR, 6 Up and Down, 6 'Birthday' Holes".
I like that concept of 6-6-6.

6 up and downs - I would be psyched with that number.

It should be obvious but we still dont do it. I think its because we all watch what PGA Tour pros do, where they pull off the hero shot but we dont have the skill that the pros do. I know that Im always guilty of the fairway wood out of the rough, which I usually duff, when I could just hit a 6-iron and advance the ball 150 yards into the fairway. Im also really guilty of always pulling out the driver on par 4s and 5s, when I could just hit a 2-iron or 3-wood on a short par 4 and give myself a 7-iron into the green. Probably the biggest thing Ive come to realize from his videos in the notion of starting at the hole and working your way back when your shot selection. Im guilty of always just trying to hit the ball as far as I can, instead of playing a layup to 100 yards and hitting a full wedge. I leave myself with too many partial shots that can be difficult to control.
He has a decent swing too. I think he has been playing since he was young. He cracks me up with the "hero" shot stuff. He makes chipping look easy and he can smack a 2 iron. Some of his videos show his bad shots too, which is nice to see. He has hit many in the drink just like the rest of us.

I know sometimes I take the hero shot but not as often as I used to. I judge each situation separately. Not long ago I hit a sweet hero shot right between a bunch of trees, but we all know that is super high risk and usually costly.
He has game, no doubt but he also shows us that even someone who is a single digit cap needs to play smart shots. I love that he plays a 2-iron. It just goes to show you that hybrids arent better for everyone.

Course management theory is pretty easy to understand, putting it into practice hole after hole is very difficult. Since my attempt to adopt the way of the playa I’ve gone from just hitting the ball down the fairway to select my shot and club based on lie, target, avoiding risk, and setting up for my next shot. My management game is far from being dialed in but at least now after poor shot selection I realize what I should have done.

...He makes chipping look easy and he can smack a 2 iron. Some of his videos show his bad shots too, which is nice to see. He has hit many in the drink just like the rest of us...
The thing I've noticed most from watching his videos is that he can putt like a baus. His lag putts are all to tap-in distance at worst and he rarely misses the short ones.

The thing I've noticed most from watching his videos is that he can putt like a baus. His lag putts are all to tap-in distance at worst and he rarely misses the short ones.
This is exactly what made me want to practice putting more. I recognize it’s a spot that I can improve.

This is exactly what made me want to practice putting more. I recognize it’s a spot that I can improve.
He has said it before and I've heard a few other analysts/teachers say it also - putting is the only part of the game where we have much of a chance of being anywhere remotely near as good as the pros.

He has said it before and I've heard a few other analysts/teachers say it also - putting is the only part of the game where we have much of a chance of being anywhere remotely near as good as the pros.
And I completely agree with that. I saw my handicap go down a little at the end of last season after only a few weeks dedicated practice.

I so agree. My putting game has improved and continues to improve, yet one has to be able to chip close as well to help reduce those ridiculously long risky putts.

Yesterday, I still had too many 3 putts, not as many as normal, but still too many. The thing is when I 3 putt is not always the long difficult putts, but a putt that is what I would say little to medium difficulty because I have shot too short and simply miss a 4-5 footer - usually a green mis-read. I have to get elevated to BAUS putting level :cool:

This one resonated with me, really enjoyed it.

I like how he breaks it down

short par 3s attack them
long par 3s miss them broad side

short par 4s same, get on in 2 if possible or very close
long par 4s play for GIR 3

par 5s sort of the same.

Anything 350 or less I am hitting my 5 wood, I smack way to many fairways not to and hit way to many trees with my driver.
Par 5's even if it's 500 (which is usually the longest for me) I'll hit my 5 wood ~210, then fire a 7 iron 160 or 11 wood 175 and try to get into the 130 - 115 is very doable and if it's shorter I may hit a 9 iron or 8 iron on my second shot and set up for my approach.

One thing to add, my two lowest scores recently. Both around 6100

82 at TPC Valley
84 at South Hampton

I may have pulled my driver 2 times each round, for wide open fairways, I mean massive. Other than that is was 5 wood and irons.

Last edited:

This one resonated with me, really enjoyed it.

I like how he breaks it down

short par 3s attack them
long par 3s miss them broad side

short par 4s same, get on in 2 if possible or very close
long par 4s play for GIR 3

par 5s sort of the same.

Anything 350 or less I am hitting my 5 wood, I smack way to many fairways not to and hit way to many trees with my driver.
Par 5's even if it's 500 (which is usually the longest for me) I'll hit my 5 wood ~210, then fire a 7 iron 160 or 11 wood 175 and try to get into the 130 - 115 is very doable and if it's shorter I may hit a 9 iron or 8 iron on my second shot and set up for my approach.

One thing to add, my two lowest scores recently. Both around 6100

82 at TPC Valley
84 at South Hampton

I may have pulled my driver 2 times each round, for wide open fairways, I mean massive. Other than that is was 5 wood and irons.

I basically quit using my driver except for a rare occasion. I don't really have the time to practice enough with it anyway.

My 3 wood is normally a 230-240 with some longer on great hitting days and I can play most courses with 3 or 5 wood off the tee, or even 5 iron, so no need to waste time with the driver especially since my woods are fairway finders. No need to hit out of the rough if you don't need to. My scores level off so much better and I generally always have a ball in play - works for me and makes the game more enjoyable. Course strategy is huge.

Back