Golfing Pet Peeves

All of the above + the guy who hoover's over the ball for 5 min. just hit the ball danny..

Golfers trying to hit ultra-lobs in routine situations.
Non-matching shoe/belt/hat combinations.

We better stay away from each other on the course then. I enjoy hitting my lob wedge if it looks like a fun shot, and I only own one pair of shoes, three shirts, two pairs of pants, one pair of shorts and one belt. But at least I usually don't wear a hat.

Golfers who take themselves too seriously, and expect results way beyond their skill level - then "go ballistic" after they hit a "bad" shot.

Last edited:
The "serial dropper" guy. Hits a bad shot, immediately drops another and hits that one, repeat. I'm all for a mulligan every now and then, but it can get to be a little much after a while.

Here are my top 5 golf course pet peeves:

5. Broken tees and tees not picked up on the tee box.

4. Not replacing divots.

3. Playing from wrong tee box for one's ability.

2. Slow play.

1. People with cell phones that are not on vibrate.

Not being able to find the tee after I hit the ball, broken or not.

Golfers who take themselves too seriously, and expect results way beyond their skill level - then "go ballistic" after they hit a "bad" shot.

I hate that. I am horrible at this game but I know that and can enjoy a round of going all over the course. I'm not good so no sense in getting mad about being bad. I figure I paid for the whole course I'm going to see most of it.

Players who take forever to line up a shot then shank or top it anyway. Spending forever lining up a putt then missing it, that miss could have happened sooner. Sunflower seed shells on the green, cigar or cigarette butts on or near the green. Players who yell and scream after making a putt, you didn't just win the US Open so keep it down please. Pins placed in ridiculous locations on the green. Please, no 90 degree breaks on 3 footers, if you are in that close you should have a fairly level putt.

Members of a local course I play who think they can start from any hole.

Being hit into when I'm in clear sight. And the fact that no one at the courses I go to seems to ever walk. When I played in England last fall virtually the entire course was walking, and it was an absolute breath of fresh air, plus the conditions were better and there wasn't any cart noise (engines, back up sirens, etc.) I can understand not walking a ridiculously hilly course or if the layout has huge spaces between holes, I take a cart as well in those situations to speed things up, or medical needs, but those courses/situations are few and far between. People who don't walk are missing out on a lot in my opinion.

Being hit into when I'm in clear sight. And the fact that no one at the courses I go to seems to ever walk. When I played in England last fall virtually the entire course was walking, and it was an absolute breath of fresh air, plus the conditions were better and there wasn't any cart noise (engines, back up sirens, etc.) I can understand not walking a ridiculously hilly course or if the layout has huge spaces between holes, I take a cart as well in those situations to speed things up, or medical needs, but those courses/situations are few and far between. People who don't walk are missing out on a lot in my opinion.

I'd like to add courses that don't allow or are ridiculously limited on walking availability. A pet peeve is hearing "carts speed up the game". ********! If anything, it can pick up the pace. On the occasion I've been a single walker and tagged along with 2 riders, I waited more than they did.

And I just found out BS gets bleeped out! Not a pet peeve. Just something I just found out.

I'd like to add courses that don't allow or are ridiculously limited on walking availability. A pet peeve is hearing "carts speed up the game". ********! If anything, it can pick up the pace. On the occasion I've been a single walker and tagged along with 2 riders, I waited more than they did.

Are you saying then, that had the two riders you were paired up with had been walking, then they would have played faster just because they were walking? That is where the BS is!

Riding in carts is not what makes people slow. It is not playing ready golf that makes people slow.

I do think so. I can't stand when people sit in the cart while their buddy hits only to ride 20 yds to their ball, then pull a club, pre-shot routine, hit, back in the cart and onto their partners ball again. Walk a little will ya?!

Not only is it great excercise, I feel more in tune and in sync walking. Not many public courses where you have the option here. And way too many courses built where its not even an option, with winding through homes and what not.

The "serial dropper" guy. Hits a bad shot, immediately drops another and hits that one, repeat. I'm all for a mulligan every now and then, but it can get to be a little much after a while.

I agree with you. When I am completely by myself and no one is behind me or ahead of me, I will drop 3 or 4 and hit them. It is great practice. But when people are waiting, you have to have some common sense. You hit a bad shot, accept it. All part of the game.

I do think so. I can't stand when people sit in the cart while their buddy hits only to ride 20 yds to their ball, then pull a club, pre-shot routine, hit, back in the cart and onto their partners ball again. Walk a little will ya?!

Not only is it great excercise, I feel more in tune and in sync walking. Not many public courses where you have the option here. And way too many courses built where its not even an option, with winding through homes and what not.
But what if they do that when they are walking?

You're lumping one bad behavior of a few into an assumption that all riders do the same thing. The group I play with will drop people off at their ball and go to another ball, then either meet up after the first giy hits and/or the guy with the cart will go pick up the other guy.

If people are going to be stupid when they are riding, they are probably going to be stupid when they are walking.

When you ride, do you lose a bunch of IQ points and automatically start doing what you say riders do all the time? Or do you drop people off and go to your ball while they go to theirs?

JLit26, I think you and I would get along quite well on the course! I agree, I HATE that so many courses are built where you are actually precluded from walking. Which is why I adore the idea of relatively modern courses like Bandon/Pacific Dunes, Chambers Bay, Whistling Straits, etc. that do not allow golf carts except in extreme circumstances. The experience of playing on a course with none of those unsightly things driving across the fairway and tearing up the grass is a truly wonderful one.

As far as what Smallville said though, its definitely true that in most cases, people not taking a cart will not make them faster, per se. But I do think that walking encourages you to play more ready golf, and I think it actually does speed things up when cart partners are on opposite sides of the fairway and refuse to drop one guy at his ball with his club while the other drivers to his ball.

But what if they do that when they are walking?

You're lumping one bad behavior of a few into an assumption that all riders do the same thing. The group I play with will drop people off at their ball and go to another ball, then either meet up after the first giy hits and/or the guy with the cart will go pick up the other guy.

If people are going to be stupid when they are riding, they are probably going to be stupid when they are walking.

When you ride, do you lose a bunch of IQ points and automatically start doing what you say riders do all the time? Or do you drop people off and go to your ball while they go to theirs?

I didn't mean to insinuate that all riders took that approach but there are far too many that do. Were those offenders walking, I have no doubt they would not walk to the left rough to watch their buddy hit, then across to the right rough to hit their own.

Don't get me wrong, I understand some can't physically walk that much, and I totally understand that part. Unfortunately, the majority of the offenders do not fall into that category.

Luckily, the groups I play with all understand ready golf and pace of play, cart or not.

As far as what Smallville said though, its definitely true that in most cases, people not taking a cart will not make them faster, per se. But I do think that walking encourages you to play more ready golf, and I think it actually does speed things up when cart partners are on opposite sides of the fairway and refuse to drop one guy at his ball with his club while the other drivers to his ball.

When my buddy and I first started golfing we would end up some 100 yards apart. We both had nasty slices, he is a righty and I a lefty. I would just walk to my ball as he took the cart to his, then I would meet him somewhere in the middle.

Biggest pet peeve is by far sun flower seeds on the greens, I don't want to clean up someone else's mouth garbage while I am trying to make a 10 footer.

In no particular order:

1. marshalls/rangers who do nothing. I was once being hit into by the group behind enough times that I called to complain. The ranger rolls up and clearly acts like he doesn't want to do anything. He keeps talking like there's nothing he can do because he hasn't seen anything going on... and in the middle of one of his nonsense sentences, a ball whips by him about 5 feet away from that same group! PROOF! My group and I all go nuts and start yelling at him to look at the ball and to do something about it. He just rolls away and doesn't do crap.

2. unnecessary slow play. No one needs 20 practice swings, 30 waggles, 16 club twirls, and whatever else they saw on the golf channel just to chunk the ball 30 yards. We were all 30+ HCs at some point yet there are plenty of us who knew better than to hold up the line with a lot of unnecessary BS. Oh yea, those are people who will hit multiple balls too. Even worse, they will play from the tips!

3. terrible attitudes, especially from bad players. Example: I played a lot with this girl last season. She's maybe just past beginner, scoring triples or +4s on most holes. No problem there. Problem is that she thinks she's really good. She always kept insisting that she had a really good swing and she would get really mad when she chunks yet another shot. She'd pout then complain and get super negative then bury her nose in her phone and not watch me or others in the group hit (another minor pet peeve, it's good manners to watch your group's shots). I never told her, but she (and the rest of us) would've been a lot happier had she accepted her actual skill level and carried a better attitude to the game. It is supposed to be recreation after all.

4. muni-hot shots. You know, the big cigar, the slow play, the big loud talk, the poor attitude, the giant gut, the embarrassing flirts with the cart girls.

5. people who don't yell fore. I frankly don't care if it's actually not close. I'd rather look silly and duck from a warning than have my heart jump out of my chest when a ball zips by me, taking 10 years of my life along with it.

6. course abuse - leaving garbage, divots, ball marks, all that.

I'm not a picky guy about noises or much but I really don't like when someone stands right beside the cup when I am putting.

I'm not a picky guy about noises or much but I really don't like when someone stands right beside the cup when I am putting.

Does that include when they are tending the flag? Because I am not sure that I have ever played with anyone who stood next to the cup otherwise, unless I was tapping it in. I'd be asking them to move back some if it were to happen.

Does that include when they are tending the flag? Because I am not sure that I have ever played with anyone who stood next to the cup otherwise, unless I was tapping it in. I'd be asking them to move back some if it were to happen.

Tending the flag is a different story. I don't have a problem with that at all. But it really seems like I just play with guys who feel the need to stand 5 feet next to the cup with the flag ready to put it back in the cup as soon as I putt. I just politely ask them to take some steps back. And it's not like I am a slow player, just definitely throws me off.

-Slow play

-Slow play

-Slow play

-Slow play

-Slow play

Slow Play
Partners getting fraught...either because of waiting or a poor shot
People not repairing divots
People not repairing pitch marks
People being officious

Back