JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought with some THPers going through lesson packages at GolfTEC that this would be a good thread to start. While I know others are going through them as well, and please chime in here of course, these THPers received lesson packages at the 2023 SkyTrak Experience.

@eddywhitaker @J4U @AuzzieMatt @The Dave

I am sure you are booking your first ones now (AuzzieMatt is already doing so) and can share your feedback in this thread.

Good idea. I did about 50 lessons 8+ years ago and just signed up for a swing eval again. The facility I used moved last year and just upgraded again last month. It now has all the latest GolfTec tech!

Looking forward to beginning this phase of the testing and getting back into the garage as well. Just waiting on healing/correction of a couple things.

Get after it guys! That lesson package from the SkyTrak Experience was so great. We are looking forward to hearing all about your experiences and improvements!!

Lets go fellas, get those lessons setup and report back, we NEED the deets!

I did GolfTec lessons like 10 years ago and I am sure a lot has changed. For what I needed at the time they were great. The coach I started with I stayed with as he left GolfTec and was teaching at a local golf course. I was all over the place with my swing and finally seeing the numbers and comparisons to what actual good golf swings look like was eye opening. It started me down a path to improvement. I was around a 20 when I started there and the GolfTec stuff got me to about a 12 or so. It was a good program and what I needed at that point of my journey.

i spent the off-season of 2021-22 working with a coach at GolfTec, absolutely helped shift my swing path. those consistent lessons were the catalyst of moving from a 13-14 hcp to an 8-9, huge help! i'm looking forward to hearing your experiences.

I used them a while ago, and the video feedback is a game changer. Literally. For me, everyone learns things differently, when I could see my head move, and the swing plane it was easier for me to fix it.

it bums me out that there is no golftec nearby, but looking forward to your guys experiences.

Thought with some THPers going through lesson packages at GolfTEC that this would be a good thread to start. While I know others are going through them as well, and please chime in here of course, these THPers received lesson packages at the 2023 SkyTrak Experience.

@eddywhitaker @J4U @AuzzieMatt @The Dave

I am sure you are booking your first ones now (AuzzieMatt is already doing so) and can share your feedback in this thread.
I've had several lessons over the years at GolfTec and there's definitely some pros and cons that I've felt

Pros

1) Very data driven - this is what I enjoy most. They used to have a harness you'd have to wear, but now with the OptiTrak tech that they built, there's nothing you have to wear. They can get all the angles and see all the turn ratios. This is very useful to me when i have questions about like "how do i start the downswing", "what do i look like in transition", and most recently - "where am I leaking power"

2) Great video tech - can easily see every frame and motion. It's high quality and high speed. I especially like it for practice sessions outside of lessons, as you can advance frame by frame to really see both down the line and face on what your swing looks like

3) Example led advice - they have a large video library of pros and can show you the differences between your swing and better swings step by step

4) Price - it's not as pricey per lesson as some instructors out there - so they really do compete (especially with the tech they have)

Cons

1) They baseline to pros - let's face it, I'm not nor will I ever be a pro. My swing won't ever look like there's (especially at my age!). It's a great aspirational target but my body isn't going to contort like theirs :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Sometimes I just need help with my swing and my limitations and I haven't yet found a GolfTec instructor that can help me with that outside of the pros swing

2) Commute - I wish they were in more locations. There's one about 20-25mi from me that I can go to, if I can wrap the schedule around the commute and rush hours here in Houston. One down the road (like the swing instructor I go to) is far more convienient

3) Inside numbers - you are hitting off of mats and inside. The good is in that it takes all variables out of the equation - the con is that it means you aren't taking that swing to the course and learning how to adjust to the conditions. I really think if you are going to use GolfTec, it really must be paired with on course practice and range practice

Bottom line for me - there's great insights about your swing you can get from GolfTec that's hard to get anywhere else, but that doesn't replace practice and work on the course and range

I'll mini update here and keep my GolfTec and me thread going with the full update, if that's OK.

I don't know if it's possible to "interview" the various coaches at your local facility to find the right one for you. I will say that I basically got assigned the head guy at mine and I'm lucky that we just click.

I've had several lessons over the years at GolfTec and there's definitely some pros and cons that I've felt

Pros

1) Very data driven - this is what I enjoy most. They used to have a harness you'd have to wear, but now with the OptiTrak tech that they built, there's nothing you have to wear. They can get all the angles and see all the turn ratios. This is very useful to me when i have questions about like "how do i start the downswing", "what do i look like in transition", and most recently - "where am I leaking power"

2) Great video tech - can easily see every frame and motion. It's high quality and high speed. I especially like it for practice sessions outside of lessons, as you can advance frame by frame to really see both down the line and face on what your swing looks like

3) Example led advice - they have a large video library of pros and can show you the differences between your swing and better swings step by step

4) Price - it's not as pricey per lesson as some instructors out there - so they really do compete (especially with the tech they have)

Cons

1) They baseline to pros - let's face it, I'm not nor will I ever be a pro. My swing won't ever look like there's (especially at my age!). It's a great aspirational target but my body isn't going to contort like theirs :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Sometimes I just need help with my swing and my limitations and I haven't yet found a GolfTec instructor that can help me with that outside of the pros swing

2) Commute - I wish they were in more locations. There's one about 20-25mi from me that I can go to, if I can wrap the schedule around the commute and rush hours here in Houston. One down the road (like the swing instructor I go to) is far more convienient

3) Inside numbers - you are hitting off of mats and inside. The good is in that it takes all variables out of the equation - the con is that it means you aren't taking that swing to the course and learning how to adjust to the conditions. I really think if you are going to use GolfTec, it really must be paired with on course practice and range practice

Bottom line for me - there's great insights about your swing you can get from GolfTec that's hard to get anywhere else, but that doesn't replace practice and work on the course and range
Some great feedback.

Wish there was one close to me.

My first lesson will be next week! was gonna be this week but my sister had emergency gallbladder removal surgery and I may or may not have COVID, so felt like it was best to move to next week.

My first lesson will be next week! was gonna be this week but my sister had emergency gallbladder removal surgery and I may or may not have COVID, so felt like it was best to move to next week.
Nice (well not the illnesses).
Looking forward to your thoughts.

That's great on the lesson start! Not so much the other and hope health returns quickly for both of you!

I think I am going to bite the bullet and jump in.

I had an awesome experience with Golftec. When I first started in 2019 I knew I had to go get lessons if I wanted to enjoy golf. Shooting 120-150 every round would have caused me to quit very quickly even with loving being outside and on the golf course. I just would have gotten frustrated competitively. I went for a couple of lessons and got a lot out of it and then Convid hit and it was shut down. I kept with my drills and continued to improve and then when they opened back up I went back. Had 1-2 lessons for about 12 months. Then cut it back to 1 a month.

I was lucky that I found a coach that was legit and a great golfer that was able to break down what I was doing and customize my improvement to my swing. He helped me break down my swing and tighten it up and keep it natural.

My coach went out on his own and I didn't get the same benefit from continuing with them at the location near my house. But definitely would recommend it.

I loved the video feedback because I am a visual learner. Having my before swing and then the perfect(ish) one from that days lesson for what we are working on each lesson and then drills and working on a schedule with my coach really helped me.

Seriously considering GolfTEC as well. My swing is absolute garbage right now

Pros

Cons

When I went for a free evaluation, I told my wife if the evaluator brings up a Tiger Wood's swing video to compare to mine, I was out the door.
He brought up Zach Johnson, so I was ok with that.
I did a winter of GolfTec and overall I was happy with my experience.

Man I lucked out at GolfTec this time around. Not only do I have Golftec but my instructor there is a St. Louis legend! Terry Grosch is one of those names you just know in the St. Louis golf community. He retired but still wanted to teach, which is why he’s at GolfTec.

Anyway, I had my first lesson with him this morning and he Immediately found the cause of all my issues unlike the other instructors I’ve cycled through lately who have put band aide over bandaide. Then I immediately played in a scramble and played the best golf I’ve played in years.

After working with him for 35 min, I immediately re-signed up for a 15 pack of lessons. It is unbelievable having this caliber of instructor who also embraces the tech and is also not going to fit me into some swing I cannot physically do!

Here is the press release on his introduction into the HOF!

Golf tec had a free swing evaluation for our Tuesday league. They worked a bit on my take away as I was turning the club over early.

Golf tec had a free swing evaluation for our Tuesday league. They worked a bit on my take away as I was turning the club over early.
Gonna be killing it out there!

I envy you folks who have benefited from lessons. It’s great to look through the posts and see the passion to improve as well as the positive results. Keep up the good work!

We have a golf tech here. I have never been in one.

Back