Gonna throw my 4 wood into a river!!!

jitzy

Reaction score
Handicap
9.5 GHIN
So let me prefise this with saying when I first got my 4 wood I had nothing but love for it but the last few rounds it's killing me. Mostly in the fairway on a thin lie is when most problems are happening. It's not even like Im just topping it either I'm chunking it too. Well that's pretty much it I just needed to vent.

If you throw it in a river, the current may take it away. But if you find a pond, you at least have a chance to go back and get it.

Sorry, just thought I'd throw a poor attempt at humor in here.

~Rock

If you've hit it good in the past you can still hit it now. Get that thing to the range and hit 3/4 shots till ya' dial her back in . The fish get plenty of my balls they don't need a 4 wood .

So let me prefise this with saying when I first got my 4 wood I had nothing but love for it but the last few rounds it's killing me. Mostly in the fairway on a thin lie is when most problems are happening. It's not even like Im just topping it either I'm chunking it too. Well that's pretty much it I just needed to vent.

back away from the ledge...take a deep breath and relax. no need to jump off the deep end yet :D

sounds like a ball placement issue. i fight this all the time. i tend to also get quick with my swing that doesn't make it any better. as i work on getting better with my 3w from the deck i have been setting up with feet together then take a small step with front foot and a bigger step with back foot. i try to put just a small descending blow on contact.

does a carpenter blame the hammer for hitting his thumb?
does a butcher blame the knife for cutting his thumb?

a golfer will always blame his club for hitting a bad shot. how else could club makers continue to make money?

say good by the 4 wood

If you throw it in a river, the current may take it away. But if you find a pond, you at least have a chance to go back and get it.

~Rock

This is some very sound advice, you never know when you might want to get that club back.

Try the good ol' 10 finger baseball grip, helped me a ton hitting my 3 wood off the deck.

Last edited:

~Rock

I have a persimmon 3 wood in a pond at my home course from about 1980. I'd love to have it back today, but it was never found, even by the ball divers.

You always want to keep more than one of every club, just to let them know they can be replaced........

I'm not really gonna throw it away and belive me I totally know it's user error, it just drives me nuts since I hit this thing so good and the last few rounds I'm doing nothing but making a mess of things with it. Sadly im sure it's mostly mental too and just need to leave the cover on it for a round or two.

I'm not really gonna throw it away and belive me I totally know it's user error, it just drives me nuts since I hit this thing so good and the last few rounds I'm doing nothing but making a mess of things with it. Sadly im sure it's mostly mental too and just need to leave the cover on it for a round or two.

I have a love-hate relationship with my 4 wood and it is all between my ears. I left it in the bag last week and just went to my 3H instead, I was so much more happier! There are times I can just crush the darn thing but sadly not recently.

I wouldn't take it too personally if I were you. Fairway woods off the deck aren't very easy to hit.

I wouldn't take it too personally if I were you. Fairway woods off the deck aren't very easy to hit.
But that's the sad thing with this, I WAS hitting it off the deck amazingly.

I would suggest you don't throw it in a river. However, I know I guy that 's really good at flipping stuff like tables. He may be able to help you out.

Ahhh, well maybe that's the golf gods balancing things out then :alien: but could just be a timing issue. I'd say just do the 3/4 swing idea at the range until the contact gets back and then you'll be back to smacking it pure in no time.

Does it have good resale or trade in value?

something something blind squirrel something something

Give it a time out for a couple rounds. Sometimes a bad shot sticks in your head, wait till it goes away and try again.

Does it have good resale or trade in value?

Im not ready to give up just yet since I truly know it's not the clubs fault, just needed to vent a little it made me feel better. LOLOLOL

Give it a time out for a couple rounds. Sometimes a bad shot sticks in your head, wait till it goes away and try again.
This is what I do with clubs that go bad. They were talking about this exact thing with Brandt Snedeker during the golf broadcast yesterday. He apparently puts his clubs in time-out (putter)...says you got to let them know that they can be replaced.

I use to hit my 4 wood great but something has happen that I am really struggling with it. I know it will come back just like yours will. We just have to hang in there, it will get better.

Just like making a misbehaving child sit in the corner, so should this 4 wood. Take off the headcover, stand it on its grip, and place the toe (nose) in the corner. Give it about 2 weeks, then take it to the practice range. See if it acts better.

Don't get rid of it. You'll regret it later.

Jack

And by river, you mean my yard so ican use it lol.

Joe,

If you do it, I found the golf cart you can use to recover it.
Screenshot2015-02-17062521_zps75403c98.png

I wonder how many wedges Tiger is throwing in the river at the moment

Sounds like your 4W needs a "time out." I find when my FW's go bad, especially after a few rounds of being hit well, its because of my desire to "get more" out of them. My fouled-up reasoning is that "if I'm hitting the ball so well swinging within myself, just think how far the ball would go if I swung harder." Misguided logic of a mid-handicapper!

Back