GP New Decade vs. VDR

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
Hey All,

As humid as it has been in the South this year, my poor GP Tour Velvets are getting slick by about the 6th hole.... I then end up going to 2 gloves to compensate...

I am going to regrip here shortly and was looking at both the new VDR and the Decade and wondering the forums opinions...

Here is my perception of these 2...

Cost - VDR
Humid weather - decade
Wear - Decade (I see where a lot of people get 2 yrs on these grips)
Feel - VDR (I hear the decades chew up gloves and hands

The humidity/heat is about ready start going down....so I am on the fence as to which grip...

Comments?? thanks

Bama

I game the new decades on my driver, woods, and hybrid. I enjoy the performance i am getting out of them. I will use two or three gloves a round to let them dry out between holes. I will be going with new decades on my irons when i get a new set to. That is my opinion on them.

i have had both and prefer VDR's so far. i like the look of the blk/wh decades the best of any grip, but for those getting 2 seasons with a lot of play must be doing something i didnt. i thought they wore waaaaay too fast for a grip that was so expensive. it went from grippy to slick and smooth way to quickly.

the VDR's i havent had but for a few months, so time will tell on their wear.

love the New Decades. I enjoy the feel and looks of them. Also they have a nice grip. Can get them off ebay for about 55 for a set of 13 if you look hard enough.

Bama, I have VDRs on all of my clubs now, came from Tour Velvets. I have the white VDRs on my woods and hybrids, and the red VDRs on everything else. For whatever reason, I find the red ones to be a slight bit tackier than the white ones. Overall, I think that the VDRs give me a little better grip than the Tour Velvets did, but the feel of the VDRs is much more similar to the Tour Velvets than the New Decade grips would be. The New Decade grips were just too rough for my liking.

When I was in Florida a few weeks ago, I only had one time where a club slipped in my hands, and the grips did well at all other times. I will add that I don't sweat much on my hands, so my grips don't get as damp as some other people, so that probably helps. If I was you, I'd regrip one of my wedges with each grip and test them out before going all the way with one set of grips, that would be a pretty cheap experiment for you.

love the New Decades. I enjoy the feel and looks of them. Also they have a nice grip. Can get them off ebay for about 55 for a set of 13 if you look hard enough.

Yeah..been watching the Bay for deals....

Bama, I have VDRs on all of my clubs now, came from Tour Velvets. I have the white VDRs on my woods and hybrids, and the red VDRs on everything else. For whatever reason, I find the red ones to be a slight bit tackier than the white ones. Overall, I think that the VDRs give me a little better grip than the Tour Velvets did, but the feel of the VDRs is much more similar to the Tour Velvets than the New Decade grips would be. The New Decade grips were just too rough for my liking.

When I was in Florida a few weeks ago, I only had one time where a club slipped in my hands, and the grips did well at all other times. I will add that I don't sweat much on my hands, so my grips don't get as damp as some other people, so that probably helps. If I was you, I'd regrip one of my wedges with each grip and test them out before going all the way with one set of grips, that would be a pretty cheap experiment for you.

Thanks for the writeup Ary....I do tend to sweat a lot in my hands, so that is why I am trying to figure out which way to go....I have a Decade on my GW...I think I need to put a VDR on my driver for the comparison...

thanks so far for all the comments....

Played em both - I think the decades offer the best performance in humidity- when they're a little slick.

Vdr seem too slick for my liking. I like the cord in the decade for that little extra grip.

I did notice that if I overgrip I'd tear gloves more often-

Gaming the tour 3GS now that offer superior tackiness but when slick are probably the worst hehe

I had to wipe the grips constantly in Florida.

Bama are you solid on GolfPride grips? If not I can reccomend a grip that performs great in the humidity here. WinnX17.

Bama are you solid on GolfPride grips? If not I can reccomend a grip that performs great in the humidity here. WinnX17.

This.
I personally think both of the options are average at best in the humidity.
I think the WinnX17 is a far better option.
Pure Grips Red is a great option for me as well.

New Decade is my grip of choice and for me they last a long time and do great in the heat/ humidity. I could get 2 seasons out of them easy.

This.
I personally think both of the options are average at best in the humidity.
I think the WinnX17 is a far better option.
Pure Grips Red is a great option for me as well.

JB I'm hearing quite the love lately for Pure Grips handling humidity, how difficult is it to get the grip on without the gun? I'd love to try one out.

JB I'm hearing quite the love lately for Pure Grips handling humidity, how difficult is it to get the grip on without the gun? I'd love to try one out.

Honestly, I dont know. I cant imagine any harder than any other grip really.

/

While I really like the feel of Winn grips, I have had really bad luck with durability..(as have a lot of people)
Is the X17 different....??

/

While I really like the feel of Winn grips, I have had really bad luck with durability..(as have a lot of people)
Is the X17 different....??

I've not had a single issue, now granted they aren't going to last multiple seasons but most regrip clubs anyway at the beginning of the season. I've got one on a dymo 3 wood that's been on there for 2 yrs, still feels great.

They do have a hybrid grip as well, which I really like as well if you want something with a different/firmer feel yet still a little tacky.

I do wash my grips about once a month to 6 weeks, mild soap and a dish brush.

--
tapatalk

Ive loved the NDs for some time now and don't see myself changing anytime soon. Some say they have issues with them being tough on the hands but I haven't experienced any of that yet. Proper grip pressure maybe?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I have Winn XI7 on my Driver, Woods, and Hybrid but GP VDRs in red on irons+wedges. The VDR is superior in my opinion. I'm picking up my TM B SP 2.0 tomorrow and it'll have a VDR in white.

I've got the GP New Decade midsize on all of my clubs except driver (I wanted to try the new Lamkin grip). This is my third year with them and they're still in great shape. Every month or so I soap them up with dish detergent, rinse and towel dry and they're good as new (or almost good as new). I'm planning to get at least one more year out of them.

I play once/week, sometimes twice - probably not as much as a lot of people on here, so maybe that is why they are still in good shape.

The decades which I have on nearly ever club have obliterated my hands... I am switching to VDRs if I keep my current irons. I have changed back to the Titleist stock grip, black widow tour velvets on my woods and hybrids and Crosslines on my wedges (they never had NDs on them)

The decades which I have on nearly ever club have obliterated my hands... I am switching to VDRs if I keep my current irons. I have changed back to the Titleist stock grip, black widow tour velvets on my woods and hybrids and Crosslines on my wedges (they never had NDs on them)
This. New decades are very hard on your hands. I love the VDRS.

Love my vdrs, best grip I have used

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

I have VDR's on all my irons/wedges and I'm not planning on switching. Here's my thread on the VDR's. I find that the NDMC's get very slick when I get moisture on them (FL humidity and real sweaty hands). NDMC's also chewed up my hands pretty good. I've had my VDR's for a while now (Feb to be exact) and they look as good as new. Definitely will get one full year out of them maybe another 6 months if I wanted to push it. I religiously change grips around February (sooner if they're wearing quick like my Winn Lites) every year since we play 12 mos.

I have Winn Lites on my woods/hybrids (I just like the way they feel with those), but like you said I'm going through them pretty quick. I'm getting about 8 mos out of them.

I use the NDMC's and I like them just fine. However, I wouldn't mind trying other grips too. Has anyone ever noticed a size difference from one OEM to the next? In other words, is a midsize GP the same size as a midsize Winn etc.?

I replaced my irons' grips with the VDR's a couple of months ago (replacing the Tour Velvets) and I really like them. They have better padding and traction is good enough for the really hot and humid weather here. I'll definitely be putting them only woods and wedges too when their current grips wear out.

I have VDR's on all my irons/wedges and I'm not planning on switching. Here's my thread on the VDR's. I find that the NDMC's get very slick when I get moisture on them (FL humidity and real sweaty hands). NDMC's also chewed up my hands pretty good. I've had my VDR's for a while now (Feb to be exact) and they look as good as new. Definitely will get one full year out of them maybe another 6 months if I wanted to push it. I religiously change grips around February (sooner if they're wearing quick like my Winn Lites) every year since we play 12 mos.

I have Winn Lites on my woods/hybrids (I just like the way they feel with those), but like you said I'm going through them pretty quick. I'm getting about 8 mos out of them.

Thanks Spank....I went back and read through your thread...(did not find it on the initial search due to the 3 word limit)..Looks like you got a super favorable response in that thread.
I know I hear that these are good in the humidity, but I currently play the normal tour velvets and have some issues with them in the extreme humidity we have been having.
Since these look to be slightly more cushiony replacements to the TV, I am a little worried.
Then I see all the comments on the NDMC's and get worried there as well...
Toss in the fact that I am going midsize to slow down my hand turn at impact and I narrow down my choices (color) even more....
I picked up a Midsize NDMC at Dick's last night but have not installed it... They didnt have any midsize VDR's.. (can get them from Golf Supply on Tuesday)
JB tossed out the X17 as a choice as well, but I have not been a fan of Winn grips....
Decisions, Decisions....

P.S. also, the GP site, when entering humidity as a 4 or 5 factor, points you away from the VDR and to the NDMC....

Back