Grip Change - How Long Before It Sets In?

I’ve gone to an interlocking grip with a neutral position. I original was overlapping and a little strong. First couple of range buckets were terrible….

I’m finally figuring out how to close the club face again.

On top of that I’m making a ball position change and set-up routine change.

Things are starting to come back together.

Interesting question and this is where I think an Align grip hinders and not helps... If I can feel the difference then it takes a long time for my body to adapt. If I can't feel the change then it's much quicker... My issue tends to be, especially with an align grip, if I strengthen or weaken my grip then my subconscious takes over and corrects the impact position....

A
This is something I mention to customers when they ask me about Align grips. I always mention the pros and cons.

I’ve been trying to strengthen my grip, and it’s been difficult. I’m not changing how I put my hands on the club, just where. But it creeps back to a more neutral position. Damned game !!!

Found this interesting

Interesting and informative. Bryson didn't miss many classes about knowing the difference between wheat and chaff.

Thats where I am right now, only going from a severely weak grip to a a more neutral Hogan's Five Lessons grip.

It doesn't feel completely weird, just awkward grip wise. The concern is more how my swing is completely wonky since the change.

Getting there though!
Hogan's grip is a palm/finger grip which wasn't very secure for me. The clubface has a tendency to open during the swing. The finger grip has the grip lying across the roots of the fingers which is way more secure than the palm/finger method.

Talking grip technique.
Haven’t tried to change it , it’s orthodox
and just try to repeat it

Vee of rh hand points to shoulder and the left hand thumb down the front spine of the grip , fingers just wrap around naturally

Funnily , it’s the same grip for putting so
There is no change

… otherwise another variable creates issues …

Never do it ;)

Went from regular overlap to double overlap today due to a blister on my right ring finger. Took maybe 5 balls or so to feel comfortable.

I tried everything and have stuck with interlock as my standard
The clubs I feel interlock is not optimal Are Hybrid and long irons. So use intermesh but grip it interlock first before I switch during my set up

I'm trying to go with a grip change right now. I did a one-off GolfTec lesson, and he laid out the move to a strong grip makes all my lines and angles fall into a much better place. It's only the beginning, but, it's so tough seeing all my normally crap shots be even crappier. I know I need to do the range work to get it feeling right, but, it's daunting to think it may last for months like this, I won't lie.

When I changed to intermesh from overlap I had a wedge next to my TV viewing spot and I held that wedge with my new grip locked in. I did that all winter before the next spring’s golf started. When I started swinging the club with it, it felt natural.

For me it took about 2 months before I had to stop thinking about it every time I grabbed a club.

I do this unique club twirl with my right middle finger and left thumb during my setup which helps me with my grip

Back