Handicap - Does It Tell Your Golf Story

The USGA is adamant about posting match play results, and your handicap chairman should be too. Handicaps work best when everyone posts every score that is legal under USGA rules.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Duly noted and thanks for replying to my post a few pages back.

I've had 2 days to think about this one and here I go. I do think a HC tells me something about a golfer. I think variables like home courses do play a roll, but in the end...even if you wear a path on your home course, you still have to post really good scores to get that low HC. That lower HC tells me that you usually keep the ball in play, fairly solid with a putter, short game is in good shape, etc.

The variables are, (take my friend Cookie for instance) plays fairly flat course in Texas not far above sea level, put him over in say the mountains in Arizona at 5,000+ feet, and I think it would take a few or more rounds for him to play to his handicap potential.

That's just my take.

The USGA is adamant about posting match play results, and your handicap chairman should be too. Handicaps work best when everyone posts every score that is legal under USGA rules.

Well, I learned something from this thread and will gladly post those going forward using the "scoring assumption or most likely approach". I am one that has the desire to have a lower handicap, not higher - so I do absolutely post everything.

For clarification though, just because someone says they played in match play does not mean that it was in an official tournament with a handicap chairman, etc. I often play rounds with friends and family utilizing match play format.

Well, I learned something from this thread and will gladly post those going forward using the "scoring assumption or most likely approach". I am one that has the desire to have a lower handicap, not higher - so I do absolutely post everything.

For clarification though, just because someone says they played in match play does not mean that it was in an official tournament with a handicap chairman, etc. I often play rounds with friends and family utilizing match play format.

I hear you on the handicap - I love seeing mine go down because it tells me my game is likely improving! I also hope I didn't come across as accusing you of cheating. If so I apologize greatly.

The handicap chairman is the guy who chairs the handicap committee at your club. Every club that participates in the USGA handicap system is required to have one. It isn't a tournament thing. The committees that do their jobs well (IMO) are those that create a culture that encourages accurate reporting.

Now, I need to get off this soap box as I've participated heavily in hijacking this thread!

I hear you on the handicap - I love seeing mine go down because it tells me my game is likely improving! I also hope I didn't come across as accusing you of cheating. If so I apologize greatly.

The handicap chairman is the guy who chairs the handicap committee at your club. Every club that participates in the USGA handicap system is required to have one. It isn't a tournament thing. The committees that do their jobs well (IMO) are those that create a culture that encourages accurate reporting.

Now, I need to get off this soap box as I've participated heavily in hijacking this thread!

Nope, we are good man and I appreciate the feedback!

I end up posting my scores directly on ghin.com (non tourney rounds) as I have seen firsthand the club fail to account for ESC and just posting a total score.

I was just able to go back and post a match play round using what I learned in this thread, more scores the better!

Back