Harrison Shotmaker - THP Preview

I just wanted to give my initial impressions of the shotmaker after using it for the first time today. I put it in a Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 Stiff that I play in my 910D2.
A little bit about me, I draw the ball with my driver 85% of the time, thats just my stock shot shape with it, my miss is a hook and I can also hook it if I want to on purpose. I installed the shotmaker last night and like I mentioned before it was very fast and painless. It only took me about 5 minutes and thats including drilling out the hole in the grip. I also took it out a couple times just to see how easy it was and that was easier than installing it, just remove the griplock cap you have in the hole and insert the telescoping tool and loosen the screw all the way and turn the club upside down until the screw slides out, reinsert the tool down the shaft into the shotmaker and turn it clockwise 3 times and pull the shotmaker out of the shaft, its that easy.

I hit the range before I played this morning and I hit about 25-30 balls with my driver, they were all pretty much dead straight or a nice tight draw, I did not have any hooks. The last 7 or 8 balls I was really trying to hook them and to my surprise I didnt hook one of them, they were bigger draws than normal but still very playable and either would of been on the left side of the fairway or in the first cut of rough. IMO that had to be the shotmaker at work, I dont know how it works to tell you the truth since I was closing the face and swing way from the inside to hook it, I dont understand how the shotmaker could counteract face angle and swing path but it seemed to. The tee shots I had today that missed the fairway were just from aiming to far right playing for my draw and 1 I pulled left, the pull was a nice baby draw I just pulled it. On the range and on the course I did not notice any differnce in my ball flight, it was the normal mid/high to high trajectory it always is, I also could not tell the added 4 grams of the shotmaker. The shaft also feels the same, not stiffer, not softer, just the same.

Here is a couple videos of the shotmaker/D2 in action.

To be honest I wasnt sure if the shotmaker would work even after reading some of the great results some of the other members are seeing. I had high hopes for it hoping it would and so far after the first test I like what im seeing. I really dont care how or why it does what it does as long as I am seeing better results with the shotmaker installed. Here is a picture of my scorecard from this morning and I will go through it with you.
scorecard917.jpg

Hole 1- Perfect drive right down the middle
Hole 2- About 2inches into the first cut on the right side of the fairway, again right where I was aiming it just didnt draw back as much
Hole 3- Same as hole 2
Hole 4- Par 3
Hole 5- Hit the Heavy Wood off the tee
Hole 6- Another perfect drive that was right in the middle, started out right center and drew back to center
Hole 7- Right where I was aiming down the right side, straight shot that landed right center fairway and rolled about 6 inches into the first cut
Hole 8- Par 3
Hole 9- This is the drive I pulled left, swing issue on this one. It still had a nice tight draw on it and it landed just off the first cut of rough on the left side of the fairway and kicked left of the hill

Some great results if you ask me, I just need to start aiming more down the middle instead of down the right side since its not drawing/hooking as much. Does this need more testing, of course it does, I just wanted to give my initial impressions. I really feel like I can go after one and not worry about missing left and thats a big mental deal for me. I am really looking forward to putting in more time with the Shotmaker.

me 3, like I said I dont care how or why it works as long as I am seeing good results from it and I did today. Only time will tell though, I was hitting everything well today so I cant wait to have one of those bad days to really see what happens with a horrible swing

just curious, what's confused you about what he wrote?

I read this to mean that if without the shotmaker these swings were to produce X rpm of sidespin, then with the shotmaker it is some percentage less than X. This reduced sidespin is then causing the ball to hook or draw lwss.

just curious, what's confused you about what he wrote?

I read this to mean that if without the shotmaker these swings were to produce X rpm of sidespin, then with the shotmaker it is some percentage less than X. This reduced sidespin is then causing the ball to hook or draw lwss.

Because the shot maker is inhibiting the golf club from being swung properly, or reacting properly to what the swing is telling it to do.

The swing determines the ballflight, the club doesn't know what is expected, neither does the ball. So why does it turn hooks into gentler draws? No matter how inside he comes from he can't hit a hook? Is it the same with a slice?

I've studied the swing for a long time an know what determines what. Sliding something down the shaft of a golf club doesn't change the angles of which determine launch, spin and sidespin.

I too understand swing dynamics. First, I would bet what he is describing as a draw is in fact a hook, at least from what a professional would say.

but more importantly, from a swing dynamic stanpoint, lok at it another way. With the shotmaker installed the proper amount of sidespin is being inteoduced relative to the patha nd face angle. Without it the shaft deflection or deformation is inteoducing an incinsistent variable that is placing more spin than it should
The shaft with the shotmaker installed is allowing the proper amount of spin

Because the shot maker is inhibiting the golf club from being swung properly, or reacting properly to what the swing is telling it to do.

The swing determines the ballflight, the club doesn't know what is expected, neither does the ball. So why does it turn hooks into gentler draws? No matter how inside he comes from he can't hit a hook? Is it the same with a slice?

I've studied the swing for a long time an know what determines what. Sliding something down the shaft of a golf club doesn't change the angles of which determine launch, spin and sidespin.

that is exactly what has me confused as well, no matter how much I shut the face down and came from the inside it would not be a major hook for me, big draw yes but not a big hook.

So if there is inconsistencies and variables, this should be solved with someone playing a shaft that is way too stiff for them, no?

And how does the ball, club, or shotmaker determine what the "proper" amount of spin is? It doesn't have a brain, it doesn't know.

The "proper" amount of spin is always "introduced" to the ball because that's what the golfer is telling the club to do. This device doesn't feel what the golfer is doing wrong then fix it on the way down.

Last edited:
I too understand swing dynamics. First, I would bet what he is describing as a draw is in fact a hook, at least from what a professional would say.

but more importantly, from a swing dynamic stanpoint, lok at it another way. With the shotmaker installed the proper amount of sidespin is being inteoduced relative to the patha nd face angle. Without it the shaft deflection or deformation is inteoducing an incinsistent variable that is placing more spin than it should
The shaft with the shotmaker installed is allowing the proper amount of spin

to the bolded, A draw is a controlled shot from right to left, a hook is uncontrolled and will miss the fairway and be way off from where I was aiming. What I was hitting is a draw.
to the second bolded that sounds like a good explanation, maybe shaft deformation plays a bigger part than we think

for a given clubface and path relationship, X amount of spin should be produced. However, that number may vary due to shaft deflection or deformation from shot to shot. This deflection or deformation can vary based on speed, torque, lag, centerdness of contact, etc. The shotmaker will reduce this variable and produce an amount of spin closer tot he true figure based on the club face and path relationship.

there is no brain involved, just minimi%ng variables.

my understanding of a draw is a shot that starts right if target and ends up at target or maybe a little left. A hook keeps going left too much. It can still end up in fairway depending on how far right was your target

I will say it again I dont care if I dont understand how or why as long as it works lol. Allot more testing is needed though, 1 good round and range session isnt even close to enough testing

my understanding of a draw is a shot that starts right if target and ends up at target or maybe a little left. A hook keeps going left too much. It can still end up in fairway depending on how far right was your target

IMO a hook does not land in the fairway but thats for another thread lol.

for a given clubface and path relationship, X amount of spin should be produced. However, that number may vary due to shaft deflection or deformation from shot to shot. This deflection or deformation can vary based on speed, torque, lag, centerdness of contact, etc. The shotmaker will reduce this variable and produce an amount of spin closer tot he true figure based on the club face and path relationship.

there is no brain involved, just minimi%ng variables.

So the shotmaker just takes the shaft that someone was fitted for, and makes it too stiff for them to be able to engage that part of the shaft? So it still flexes the same in the same spots, just doesn't engage the shaft to it's true potential?

I'm skeptical because all these issues are caused by the golf swing, this piece doesn't change the golf swing, nor does it know which flaws to attempt to cover up.

So the shotmaker just takes the shaft that someone was fitted for, and makes it too stiff for them to be able to engage that part of the shaft? So it still flexes the same in the same spots, just doesn't engage the shaft to it's true potential?

I'm skeptical because all these issues are caused by the golf swing, this piece doesn't change the golf swing, nor does it know which flaws to attempt to cover up.

Im confused about where your getting the makes it to stiff for them, who said that? My shaft is not any stiffer with the shotmaker installed

the shotmaker does not change the stiffness of the tip of the shaft, it sits 6 or so inches above the tip also, shaft deflection and deformation is a byproduct of all shafts regardless of stiffness, fitted or not, etc. Removing this variable from a shaft has proven to be elusive to manufacture in. The shotmaker is solving this to a large degree. I'm sure we've all hit a ball that drew or hooked more than we expected. The clubface angle and path that produced this might have been achieved in part because of the inconsistent variable introduced by the deflection and deformation. The previous swing might have been 99% similar but for some reason the shaft did not react exactly the same, so the resulting ballflights difered. The shotmaker is trying to allow the swing itself to dictate the ball flight, thereby increasing ones accuracy or consistency.

the shotmaker does not change the stiffness of the tip of the shaft, it sits 6 or so inches above the tip also, shaft deflection and deformation is a byproduct of all shafts regardless of stiffness, fitted or not, etc. Removing this variable from a shaft has proven to be elusive to manufacture in. The shotmaker is solving this to a large degree. I'm sure we've all hit a ball that drew or hooked more than we expected. The clubface angle and path that produced this might have been achieved in part because of the inconsistent variable introduced by the deflection and deformation. The previous swing might have been 99% similar but for some reason the shaft did not react exactly the same, so the resulting ballflights difered. The shotmaker is trying to allow the swing itself to dictate the ball flight, thereby increasing ones accuracy or consistency.

IMO that sounds totally legit haha, ^^^^ makes sense to me, whether or not its the truth or correct is a different story

I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

well played lol. I am playing again in the morning so we will see if I see the same results I did today.

good luck and have fune with it, I hope the positive results continue. When I get home later I will pm you some more info on this that you shoyld find interesting.

I want to get one but my driver shaft is 350 tip and incompatible, and that is a bummer.

good luck and have fune with it, I hope the positive results continue. When I get home later I will pm you some more info on this that you shoyld find interesting.

I want to get one but my driver shaft is 350 tip and incompatible, and that is a bummer.

looking forward to the PM, ya that sucks it wont fit your shaft

So if there is inconsistencies and variables, this should be solved with someone playing a shaft that is way too stiff for them, no?

And how does the ball, club, or shotmaker determine what the "proper" amount of spin is? It doesn't have a brain, it doesn't know.

The "proper" amount of spin is always "introduced" to the ball because that's what the golfer is telling the club to do. This device doesn't feel what the golfer is doing wrong then fix it on the way down.

^^^^
This.
I have spoken to a couple of the tour van guys now, but am saving their thoughts until I have spoken to a couple of more. I can tell you that one pretty famous club maker said almost word for word what Thainer is saying above though.

^^^^
This.
I have spoken to a couple of the tour van guys now, but am saving their thoughts until I have spoken to a couple of more. I can tell you that one pretty famous club maker said almost word for word what Thainer is saying above though.

How does it work then? We have heard how it is suppose to work but does anybody really know why it does?

I still don't understand why somebody that hasn't even used the product is reciting marketing material as fact and it's just getting eaten up. A hook is a hook. A draw is a draw. "Vibrations" do not change that.

Back