Has Pebble lost is cache?

For me it’s more lack of talent than the course itself
Lack of talent is a bit harsh. It’s not a strong field but they’re pretty damn talented golfers. Unless mr Power just hacked his way to 64,64.

The tourney? Maybe.
The Course definitely NOT. It's still in my top 3 bucket list for courses.

I chalk it up to more entertainment options and other distractions. I rarely watch golf anymore after always watching Sat/Sun coverage. I still watch majors but I can’t commit to a few hours of this weeks who cares who wins tourney when my remote finger is trigger happy and has options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather play Spyglass and will next time I'm out there. I heard of a deal. For $375, you belong to Duke's Club at Del Monte CC for a year, and play it, Links at Spanish Bay and Spyglass at reduced rates - play all three and you've made your money back for one person but you have a guest rate at the lower rates so if you have more than one, you save more - then play Spyglass for $240 and Links for $170. Go back again during your year. If you can. I'm waiting 'till Covid is toned down.

I'd like to play PB but instead play Poppy for $95. So I guess for me, PB has lost its cache'. Belong to NCGA and play Poppy, Bayonet and Black Horse at reduced rates.

But like almost everyone else, I want to play PB once. Within a year or two would be good.

Last edited:
Bit more to do at Pebble and the surrounding area than Bandon though.
I would rather go to Pebble too. I was trying to say no one that has been to Pebble thinks it's overrated. It's literally the prettiest place I've ever been.

I can see where you are coming from, however once you have been to Pebble it's hard not to be focused on T.V. from there. When you are there the sound is as big of sensory experience as the visuals. You don't get that much on T.V. The weaker crowds and the clowning by celebrities also hinders the broadcast.

Pebble is incredible. Most money I've ever paid to play golf (also played Spyglass Hill, Spanish Bay, and Pasatiempo on that trip), but never thought about money for a second. Truly great experience.

Last edited:
I would rather go to Pebble too. I was trying to say no one that has been to Pebble thinks it's overrated. It's literally the prettiest place I've ever been.
completely agree. Being there in person hits you differently than simply watching it on tv and saying its beautiful. Driving along 17 mile drive was mesmerizing. the fog, the ocean, the courses, the homes.....beautiful

Late to respond to this one, but I found the course to just look and play amazing for the weekend. But the pace and honestly the overall talent in the tournament is lackluster at best. I think they might have more success if they limited the pro am portion of the tournament to 3 days to try and get rid of the 6 hour rounds, but not sure how that would go over.

Had Cantlay stayed in it against Spieth I think we would look a little differently, but he faded down the stretch and Hoge, someone very few of us could pick out of a line up played dynamite and won the tournament with -4 on the back 9.

I still enjoy watching golf at Pebble and probably always will. Pebble is definitely a bucket list course for me. The views on TV are amazing, so I can only imagine how great they must be in person.

I feel this way about the whole tour. I have been watching these events for years and it now it's like Groundhog Day. Same announcers. Same shots of the area. When they come to my hometown for the Wells Fargo they show a city scene of a park that nobody ever goes to. They show it every year. Just needs a refresh. Majors still feel fresh.

I didn't watch it... I'm not interested in seeing that circus. I'm also not one that has Pebble Beach on a bucket list. I appreciate the beauty of the course and its scenery but I know I'll never get to play there🤷‍♂️

To stay there or close, and play, you can go to Scotland or Ireland and play multiple courses more storied.

I feel this way about the whole tour. I have been watching these events for years and it now it's like Groundhog Day. Same announcers. Same shots of the area. When they come to my hometown for the Wells Fargo they show a city scene of a park that nobody ever goes to. They show it every year. Just needs a refresh. Majors still feel fresh.
I'm right there... there needs to be new blood injected into the broadcasts. I'm tired of seeing and hearing the same announcers year in and year out... the same ones that commentated on Arnie when he was still competing and can remember when the Senior Tour started...:ROFLMAO:

It's still a must watch for me especially when the US Open is there. It was fun to watch when all the big names were playing but now, they all run for the MONEY in Saudi Arabia.

Back