Have you ever chipped from on the green?

I haven’t but watched a guy do it on 17 at Pebble Beach. The caddy & I just looked at the guy like...

I've messed around with it a bit on the practice green, but never had the need to use it in an actual round. I wouldn't use it except as a last resort (bunker in the middle of the green or some such nonsense). If a course incorporates that kind of design into their greens, they assume the risk of players doing it, IMO.

On the green? No. On the fringe: All the time.

I have, only once before. There was no way to get close without chipping it over the fringe and rough. Clipped it perfectly.

I would rather take an extra stroke with a putter rather than risk disrespecting the golf course personnel by accidentally taking a divot on a green.
I think it’s pretty crazy when a weekend warrior does it to score 88 instead of 89.

I have. Did it twice last year with great success. I consider myself to have a pretty strong wedge game and can usually do what I'm attempting (now I'm going to suck for the next couple weeks because I praised myself :LOL:).

Anyway, one time was on a green was shaped like your video. I was on one end and the straight line to the flag was right through rough/fringe. It was either chip and know I can get close, try to putt through the rough and fringe and have no idea what's going to happen or putt out to the side and possibly three putt. Chipped it to three feet for the easy par save.

The other time was on a silly long putt and my lag putting had been god awful that day so I pulled my wedge and again, got it within a couple feet and made the next putt for par.

If the situation calls for it, I'm not afraid to do it. Though I don't think I would ever attempt anything of the sort in December unless it would be for the belt lol

Did it successfully when I had a big elbow of fringe between me and the cup, no damage to the green.

No, I either putt or putt from on the green. Sometimes I will also putt it if I am really far away and there is some fringe between me and the cup.

I have not, and consider chipping one of my strongest facets. I don't play on greens that really make that a real requirement often, but honestly If I found myself with that shot it would really depend on the stakes. In a tournament or something I really cared about I'd probably play the shot required, if its a weekend friendly I'd probably just putt it. Gotta protect the greens for everyone else too.

yep, most recently a couple of years ago when playing Tour 18 hit the wrong side of the green like #6 at Riviera. I chipped over the bunker

I have done it and it is a little nerve! Not because for fear of "damaging" the green but because the lie is so tight. If there are going to design an L green, they should chipping will happen!

Nope. It's definitely crossed my mind but the fear of gouging a green has prevented me from actually attempting.

I think I tried it once and then never again. Typically courses have greens that I'd be too scared to try it, but the course I tried it at was anything but a nice course and the owners never kept it in good shape. I only chipped because of the ant hills I would've had to put around.

I've done it a couple of dozen times over the years. The aprons at my home course are not much longer than the greens so it's not really much of an adjustment.

Hard no. Agreed rule here because our playing season is so short, and repairs take so long to heal that playing anything but putter on the green doesn't happen. Same with hitting an errant shot. If your ball lands on an adjacent green, it's a free drop without penalty.

Hard no. Agreed rule here because our playing season is so short, and repairs take so long to heal that playing anything but putter on the green doesn't happen. Same with hitting an errant shot. If your ball lands on an adjacent green, it's a free drop without penalty.
By the rules of golf, that’s a mandated free drop. You don’t have the option to play your shot from an adjacent green.

Only twice. First was in a local tournament and I was very close to the edge of the green and had rough to go over for the hole. Figured so close to the apron that it wouldn't be an issue at worse case. Did no damage on that one.

This year in the "supervisor revenge" at our club they had spiraled a garden hose around the pin and with several spirals it was going to be impossible to get around it in one stroke. So sitting in the middle of the green I used a lob wedge and carried it to the middle circle of hose. Again was lucky that no damage was done to the green.

Makes you feel good actually........

I've messed around with it a bit on the practice green, but never had the need to use it in an actual round. I wouldn't use it except as a last resort (bunker in the middle of the green or some such nonsense). If a course incorporates that kind of design into their greens, they assume the risk of players doing it, IMO.

That’s my thought. If you design a green that presents a situation where chipping is the best scoring option, you’ve brought whatever damage may occur on yourself. I wouldn’t think twice about chipping if that was the appropriate play. I’d try to repair any damage I caused as much as possible, but if they want to be tricky with the green then they earned it.

yes. Played a round with my son. We both had playable hickory sticks. We also played old school golf. Basically, on the green, you were not allowed to lift and mark the ball. And you putted in turn with the "out" player going first.

Both of us had occasion to "stymie" the other blocking his path to the cup. Chipping over the opponent's ball became a solid tactic. It had to be done with a certain measure of caution as mashies and niblick have zero bounce. You can almost shave with the leading edge.

So I may be a bit confused and certainly open to education( thats why i am here), but isn't chipping generally done with something like a 7, 8 or possibly a low angle hybrid, while using a putting stroke?

I've chipped like that from the fringe but with using a wristless putting stroke, not sure how you would risk damaging the green any more that a longer swing putt. if i remember correctly Payne Payne Stewart ( I believe) sometimes carried an additional putter with a low angle just for chipping.

I have, fairly often. But never anything where I had to go down after the ball for any kind of height on the shot, or anything.

The usual is just when the putting line goes through too much fringe. Usually those darned kidney shaped greens.

So I'll just go toe-down and chip it through, careful not to damage the green.

Yes and I thought that it was dumb to have a green with a pin position that would necessitate it. Just seems like a massive risk to the course.

So, only once in my life I got to play Pine Valley.....Two holes on Pine Valley they have two greens...9th hole there I hit a push approach and found myself on the green. But the pin was on the other green.....They are like 30 yards apart with rough in between. I have to rip a lob shot. I chat with my caddie, and the member, free drop in fringe alongside of the green. No way I could have pulled that trigger......

Oh wow.... Pine Valley... that has to have been an amazing experience.... Can’t be many courses ahead of Pine Valley on anybody’s bucket list of places to play. Congratulations.

Today I was practicing my 9i chips. I thought about this thread, and tried a few on green chips. Even hit a few with AW. No damage, no problem. It's no different than chipping fron a thin lie.

Back