Have you ever 'found it,' that move (or thing) that makes all the difference?

I find it all the time, but then lose it again as soon as I go to sleep.

"Feels ain't reals" refers to the fact that what you feel like you're doing may not mirror reality. I experienced that a lot when I was first learning.
Thats my point-what is reality? Someones definition of a "good" swing? Position X needs to look like this (Put your picture of position X here)?

Most folks can't be Rory or Brooke.

Ball flight is everything to me? That, to me, is real. The ball doesn't care how I look, when I swing

This is EXACTLY it. There isn’t any ‘one size fits all’ approach to golf. It’s all about finding what works for you. No matter how unconventional or totally standard it is. There are definitely concepts that apply universally but there are always 100 different ways to accomplish them.

Well, agree and disagree.

There are a million ways to square the face and some very ugly swings can end with a square face. However, many, many ways us amateurs might square the face are inefficient. You don't get maximum speed into the club, don't release properly, don't get ball compression, etc.

So it often comes down to a decision of "do I want to put the time, work, and money into improving the efficiency of my swing, or can I play good enough with what I've got." The answer likely depends on your individual goals.

Thats my point-what is reality? Someones definition of a "good" swing? Position X needs to look like this (Put your picture of position X here)?
We're talking about two entirely different things. You're talking about results. I'm talking about the feels you have swinging to achieve those results.

If you're happy with your ball-striking that's all that matters. My next door neighbor to one side doesn't have a textbook swing, but, he manages to hit the ball pretty well. (By his own admission: Better than he'd any right to.) The oldest son of my next door neighbor to the other side breaks nearly all the "rules," but, still has a 300 yard drive. I'm certainly not going to try telling him "You're doing it wrong." :ROFLMAO:

But, many golfers aren't happy with their performance. Many seek answers as to why they're not hitting the ball as long as they'd like, as high as they'd like, as consistently as they'd like. Sometimes the answer is "You're no doing what your feels tell you you're doing."

So it often comes down to a decision of "do I want to put the time, work, and money into improving the efficiency of my swing, or can I play good enough with what I've got." The answer likely depends on your individual goals.
Yup. I wasn't happy at all with my swing and my performance on the course was abysmal. So I set out to fix the former, expecting that would address the latter. (Yet to be seen.) I've spent what 99-44/100% of recreational golfers would regard as an insane amount of time working on my swing. But, that's me. Others may choose a different path.

Last edited:
We're talking about two entirely different things. You're talking about results. I'm talking about the feels you have swinging to achieve those results.
I think we are talking about the same thing. I believe we all think what we feel is real, because, imho, it is. I chose to only change something to change the result , based on ball flight, not to adhere t
Yup. I wasn't happy at all with my swing and my performance on the course was abysmal. So I set out to fix the former, expecting that would address the latter. (Yet to be seen.) I've spent what 99-44/100% of recreational golfers would regard as an insane amount of time working on my swing.

I think we are talking about the same thing. I believe we all think what we feel is real, because, imho, it is.
So when, for example, I felt I was keeping my lead arm straight, but, my wife, one neighbor, and the camera all clearly indicated I was not, my feel was right and they were all wrong?

I started golf in my mid 30s. I was shooting 120s-130s. Now Im 50 and I shoot in the low to mid 80s. The biggest change in my stroke count came when I stopped trying to knock the cover off the ball.
My whole life I played football, did Muay Thai, was in that Army infantry.. I was used to going hard at everything.
For years I hacked away at the golf ball full speed. One day this little old lady was next to me on the range. She was out hitting me on everyshot. I stopped and watched her. She put almost no power in to her swing, it was all finesse and technique.
I slowed my swing down by about 50% and was hitting further amd straighter that I ever had.
That day changed my game forever. As I watched the pros I realized they werent swinging hard, it just looked like they were because of their technique.
I have had about 1000 "ah ha" moments in golf, but that one was by far the biggest game changer for me.
Let the club do the work. You wouldnt swing a hammer like a mad man, treat a golf club the same way.

I won't say because I know the golf gods will strike me down instantly! I just go in with a clear head and no swing thoughts now.

It's on the tee that I have my "aha" moment. I just have to relax the shoulders, and take a smooth swing, don't sway off the ball, and "finish" the swing. Ball WILL be in the fairway, and where I would like it...

Its called revelation. The "ahhh...haaa" moments. The "oh...I git this now" moments. The "I see...said the blind man" moments. The "why didnt I think this before" moments.
They are never ending. They mean everything and they mean nothing.

Yep. Every time I go to the range..........I then subsequently lose it on the golf course and the cycle starts over again.

Grip then form in setup

grip does not equal whereVs point. How the hands work properly is grip imo. Makes swing easy or impossible

So when, for example, I felt I was keeping my lead arm straight, but, my wife, one neighbor, and the camera all clearly indicated I was not, my feel was right and they were all wrong?
I understand.

if I feel my lead arm is straight...and...my ball flight is a result I can live with...who cares if its straight, against anothers idea of a perfect swing. Its the feel I want to get the ball where I want it.

If I consistantly hit that ball down the middle, every thing I feel, is real.

If you are changing your lead arm to fix a ball flight issue, perfect.

If you are changing your lead arm, just to get it straighter..........

There are many, but the most important one is for the hands to be ahead of the clubhead through impact.

if I feel my lead arm is straight...and...my ball flight is a result I can live with...who cares if its straight, against anothers idea of a perfect swing. Its the feel I want to get the ball where I want it.
You're right. If your swing is producing satisfactory results there's no reason in the world to mess with it, whether it resembles somebody else's view of a "perfect" or "correct" swing or not.

If I consistantly hit that ball down the middle, every thing I feel, is real.
Your feels aren't necessarily reals, but, it doesn't matter as long as you're satisfied with the results and are able to repeat it more or less consistently

Thing is: These pages are filled with golfers that aren't satisfied with their results and can't repeat their swings consistently. I am (was?) one of them. For me the answer was rigorous swing training. Naturally, that training involves executing swing motions my instructors regard as optimal. I use mirrors and we use videos to ensure I'm doing what they want me to be doing. Eventually I learn the feel.

That is: For some value of "learn." I don't have very good feel for body position. Thus I fully expect that, if I'm to retain the swing I'm leaning, I may have to re-train at the start of every season.

Luckily, I actually enjoy doing it :)

That is: For some value of "learn." I don't have very good feel for body position. Thus I fully expect that, if I'm to retain the swing I'm leaning, I may have to re-train at the start of every season.

Luckily, I actually enjoy doing it :)
A good point. We all learn differently.

I think I have (or may have), at least for this month.

For me, I used to spend soooo much time trying to hit the back of the ball, last year I started looking at the front of it and that helped -- a lot. on my drives I line up the driver head with the ball out on the toe - say 1/2 way between edge and center of the club. And still look at front of the ball.

I started doing this similar thing with my irons - heck all the clubs other than putter (and chips) - and for me over the last 3-5 rounds ball striking has been very consistent - a miss here and there, but not many and much improved confidence in the shot/planned shot. Finding a bit more distance - maybe from better struck balls.

So, that's what seems to be working for me - and now in order for me to completely f**k up my swing, what have you found as a move (or something) that's working for you?
I feel like this helps me most of the time too, looking in front of the ball. I usually pick a piece of grass about a 1/4" in front of the ball and stare at that. I rarely take divots but that seems to help me do so while helping with my low point in front of the ball. It feels better than looking right at the ball...
I'm going to try the driver setup you use as well and see if it helps in that department. I definitely need it...

I find it all the time, but then lose it again as soon as I go to sleep.
Lol, thats my life story with golf. I'll be at the range. Make an adjustment. Then "Wow! That works really good!" Next time I go out its like "What the heck happened? It was great the other day."

Back