Have you heard of a Pacemaster?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have never heard them called this before, we call them rangers around here though we never actually see any of them on course. Is this a new thing?

If so...cool job title haha

As a Pacemaster you are responsible for patrolling the golf course property and directing players in the proper manner of play and the observance of course rules and regulations.

The Pacemaster's typical job functions include:
  • Enforcing established rules of course among golfers such as replacing divots, wearing of proper clothing and practicing at designated sites
  • Patroling golf course to prevent unauthorized persons from using facilities and preventing players from entering course beyond starting tee
  • Advising players to speed up or slow down in order to alleviate bottlenecks
  • Explaining rules of game to players to settle disputes

Always referred to them as Marshalls.

Whatever they are called, it seems to be a lost art at most courses. Pace of play should absolutely be enforced.

I have played a local course where the Marshall would actually hold slow groups on the tee to allow for a faster group to play through. It was so nice to see.

Nope. We no longer have Marshalls, either... They are all "Players Assistants"... Just smiling and waving.

Pacemaker.... sure! Pacemaster sounds like a cool name for marshal 🤷‍♂️

Edit: wondering if the accountabilities for the Pacemaster also include running food/drink orders out from the turn to the tenth tee to ensure pace?

Ive only heard the term Marshall or Ranger

"Pacemaster" just sounds like one of those CV things, where you did customer service but really you were a "Client Experience Professional" or something.

So they have to teach etiquette and explain rules to improve pace. :unsure:

Pacemaker.... sure! Pacemaster sounds like a cool name for marshal 🤷‍♂️

Edit: wondering if the accountabilities for the Pacemaster also include running food/drink orders out from the turn to the tenth tee to ensure pace?
They’ll need a pacemaker after dealing with all the idiots out there now.

Reminds me of how the guy at the sub shop putting ham and cheese on a bun is called a "Sandwich Artist".

Yeah we just called the rangers or Marshall’s, most of them around here don’t really do much but drive the course backwards and wave.

I just call them people who tell me to turn down my music.

It’s at 2/10. It’s classic rock. 😐

Yeah I’ve played with JB before

Yeah I’ve played with JB before
This is soooo true, it’s a role he would excel at

major payne GIF

First I’ve ever heard a marshal or ranger called that

They stopped calling them even rangers here. They are “player attendants”.

There is no pace keeper

😢

Never heard of it. I've seen Marshalls here, but I've never seen one enforcing pace of play. Would be nice to see.

Always referred to them as Marshalls.

Whatever they are called, it seems to be a lost art at most courses. Pace of play should absolutely be enforced.

I have played a local course where the Marshall would actually hold slow groups on the tee to allow for a faster group to play through. It was so nice to see.
This..

You would think that you would have a basic understanding of the game and concepts as well as the laws and expectations

Well before playing …. It like driving , you don’t just jump in the car and drive

Marshall’s ( insert alternate names here) shouldn’t be needed if people were informed beforehand

Reminds me of how the guy at the sub shop putting ham and cheese on a bun is called a "Sandwich Artist".
Like the baristas who do “coffee art “ listen mate , till you can do “ the last supper “ on the coffee crema , your not an artist .
😂😂

I really, really like the carts with the GPS in them that are becoming prevalent. They allow the staff (ranger or whatever you want to call them) to find the real source of a backup. They also keep your time in relation to your expected location and prod people to keep up on the screen. Seems like those courses are seldom over their suggested times (usually 4:15) and usually closer to 4:00. The on the cart distance to front, back and middle, and middle of pin placement section seems to help speed things up a bit. Especially for the crowd that feels they need to laser the distance to a pin 290 yards off after a "BOOMING" 230 yard drive...... I have seen the cart screen say "just hit it! lol Ot's ;ole having a Pacemaster with you all round., and it doesn't bother me one bit. I do get a kick out of it when we are dew sweeping and the cart says we are 45 minutes ahead of our expected time.... and they give us free stuff at the bar.

I prefer Grumpy Ballhawkers.

Interesting job description:

1. Tell the same golf jokes over and over.
2. Drink at least 4 cups of coffee per shift while harassing the cart girl for free oatmeal pies.
3. Ensure all players know about your glory days of golf.
4. Naps are optional.
5. Spend 5 minutes explaining what keep up means, then proceed to the be in the way as they wait for you to clear.
6. Feel free to pee where you wish.

🤣

I like the job title. Now if they only did what they are supposed to...

All of the Marshalls on our course have a GPS in their cart that shows the pace of every group on the course. They will tell groups when they are in the red and politely ask them to play just a little faster.

Very few pace issues out there.

Good only if they enforced pace of play

I have played a local course where the Marshall would actually hold slow groups on the tee to allow for a faster group to play through.
Never heard of such a thing. Must be an alternative universe or something.

Back