Help Shortening Backswing

drp3434

I'm either golfing or wishing I was golfing
Reaction score
Handicap
So I've always had a really long backswing and could control it a little better when I was younger. It's starting to lead to a lot of big misses, particularly heavy slices right. Pretty sure my hands are getting so far back that I'm swinging them to catch up and ending up OTT and coming in really steep; image below of top of backswing and then transition down with an 8i.

I'm working hard to shorten it, but every time I think I did it I go back on watch the video and it's the same. I think my mind is translating swinging easier as a shortened swing. I was able to do it a few times last week at the range and my transition looked much better and I was hitting the ball much much better.

Any tips to help shorten the swing?
(And yes I know I look like a bum at the range here 🤣)

8F09CC79-3ACC-4721-B03B-BC3A22B0AF9A.png
BB764B29-4326-4EDD-AE96-793807B7FD35.png

You may not want to do this... (but, I have found it helpful for my game) - you can not cock your wrists. Watch a video of Steve Stricker for an example. When you attempt to keep your wrists somewhat ridged, they will actually want to cock a little bit on the end of the backswing - but, this method will keep you from going too far back... and I have actually gained some distance.

You may not want to do this... (but, I have found it helpful for my game) - you can not cock your wrists. Watch a video of Steve Stricker for an example. When you attempt to keep your wrists somewhat ridged, they will actually want to cock a little bit on the end of the backswing - but, this method will keep you from going too far back... and I have actually gained some distance.
Thanks I'll give it a look!

Let me know if you give it a try. It will likely feel kinda strange at first. :)
I got nothing. I've been trying to lengthen mine.

All I can say is watch Jon Rahm.
Watching a couple videos of each and I'm intrigued. Between noting the thought of locking your wrists and then a video describing Rahm's swing and how he doesn't get handsy (keeps the club in front of his hands) and stays together. Going to play around with this!

Let me know if you give it a try. It will likely feel kinda strange at first. :)
So I'm practicing this at home and it definitely feels weird but I'm definitely going to give it a try. This is me feeling like I'm just barely letting my wrists cock :ROFLMAO: I'm only taking practice swings indoors but it does look like it might be putting me in a better transition to my downswing.
DAE18D76-61CD-469A-9A45-C3FE8923614C.png

I got nothing. I've been trying to lengthen mine.

All I can say is watch Jon Rahm.
Texted this to myself as a reminder that you don't need a big swing to generate distance

I’ve been working on shortening my swing for a while. Where you think you are stopping and where you actually are usually are 2 different spots. I like a physical reminder. Set up a pool noodle or string where you want your hands to stop. That way you can feel where it is. Also, starting your backswing past the ball will shorten the stopping point as well.

I’ve been working on shortening my swing for a while. Where you think you are stopping and where you actually are usually are 2 different spots. I like a physical reminder. Set up a pool noodle or string where you want your hands to stop. That way you can feel where it is. Also, starting your backswing past the ball will shorten the stopping point as well.
Can you elaborate a little? How do you set up a pool noodle and what do you mean by starting the backswing past the ball? I'm a little slow 😜

Last edited:
Can you elaborate a little? How do you set up a pool noodle and what do you mean by starting the backswing past the ball?

Something like this. I would rather the noodle or string hit my arms or wrists personally.

Second, set up to the ball like normal, but place the club head about 6 inches past the ball towards the target. Then, start your backswing. Your brain/body has a pre learned backswing length. You’re just tricking it by starting the backswing further up than normal. Eventually, you get used to the distance taking the club back. *warning* if you swing straight back you’ll probably knock the ball out of the way so you have to pick the club up or sway it out a little. This drill isn’t about ball striking, it’s about real vs feel.

*disclaimer* I suck at golf so take this with a grain of salt🤣

Something like this. I would rather the noodle or string hit my arms or wrists personally.

Second, set up to the ball like normal, but place the club head about 6 inches past the ball towards the target. Then, start your backswing. Your brain/body has a pre learned backswing length. You’re just tricking it by starting the backswing further up than normal. Eventually, you get used to the distance taking the club back. *warning* if you swing straight back you’ll probably knock the ball out of the way so you have to pick the club up or sway it out a little. This drill isn’t about ball striking, it’s about real vs feel.

*disclaimer* I suck at golf so take this with a grain of salt🤣

K so I was correct in my thoughts on past the ball but didn't envision putting a string across my whole yard 😂. I'll try these out, thanks!

Get older and fatter. Works wonders on long backswings.

Texted this to myself as a reminder that you don't need a big swing to generate distance
makes you wonder, eh? how can such a short back swing can be so powerful?
Of course, being young and built like a bull don't hurt.

Last edited:
I can't REALLY tell from the pic where your right elbow is. It looks to me like it is right to me, but you might want to check out some videos on "fly right elbow" just to confirm.
Maybe it's because you're so long and lanky😕, that it even looks that way. The view is unfamiliar territory!:)
also, might want to check into the "medicine ball" toss.
Looks like in the first set of pics that the downswing is in a higher plane than the back swing.

My eyes aren't trained in the minutia/nuances of the swing. Heck, my eyes aren't trained much for anything these days.:cry:
Take all of this with the proverbial bit of salt.

Last edited:
Dude you are a skinny guy so you will more range in your backswing. What you are not doing is keeping the hands Infront of your body throughout the backswing. Your hands are out racing your body turn. The feeling needs to be the hands don't go past the trail shoulder during the upswing. If you glance at your hands they should still be in front of your body when the left shoulder is brought to a halt. Some players can still lift the hands to complete the backswing when shoulder stops and others can't. The important concept is the hands move back and up, not inside and back and behind.

I can't REALLY tell from the pic where your right elbow is. It looks to me like it is right to me, but you might want to check out some videos on "fly right elbow" just to confirm.
Maybe it's because you're so long and lanky😕, that it even looks that way. The view is unfamiliar territory!:)
also, might want to check into the "medicine ball" toss.
Looks like in the first set of pics that the downswing is in a higher plane than the back swing.

My eyes aren't trained in the minutia/nuances of the swing. Heck, my eyes aren't trained much for anything these days.:cry:
Take all of this with the proverbial bit of salt.
Thanks, I will check out the medicine ball toss!
Dude you are a skinny guy so you will more range in your backswing. What you are not doing is keeping the hands Infront of your body throughout the backswing. Your hands are out racing your body turn. The feeling needs to be the hands don't go past the trail shoulder during the upswing. If you glance at your hands they should still be in front of your body when the left shoulder is brought to a halt. Some players can still lift the hands to complete the backswing when shoulder stops and others can't. The important concept is the hands move back and up, not inside and back and behind.
Yeah this is the problem for sure. I will try to work on that mentality of where my hands are. Thanks dude

Lots of folks have different feels to try and accomplish this, for me it's feeling like my hands stop between my waist and my shoulders during the backswing, and that's it. I try to stop my backswing as soon as my shoulders are done turning to prevent my hands and arms from going too far, this is something I worked on a lot when I was taking lessons.

Another good feel I've used in the past is the feeling that my trail elbow doesn't bend, my arm stays straight. Obviously the elbow is going to bend plenty, but the feel of trying to keep a straight rear arm keeps my hands in line with my chest for the most part. This is more for drills and half swings than anything else.

The power he gets out of his super compact swing is nothing short of amazing. I love the fact that he's been using the same Aldila Tour Green shafts in his driver and fairway woods since he started college. Shaft tech improves every year and he just sticks with what works and leads the Tour in strokes gained off the tee by a very wide margin(1.311 vs. .877 for second place Cameron Young). Talent and confidence beats technology lol.

His position at the top.

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 7.05.08 AM.png

The power he gets out of his super compact swing is nothing short of amazing. I love the fact that he's been using the same Aldila Tour Green shafts in his driver and fairway woods since he started college. Shaft tech improves every year and he just sticks with what works and leads the Tour in strokes gained off the tee by a very wide margin(1.311 vs. .877 for second place Cameron Young). Talent and confidence beats technology lol.

His position at the top.

View attachment 9089846
Only one way to be successful from that position, keep turning on the way down. Hips turn left and torso turns left. Don't think hands, just turn.

Usually a long backswing comes from losing posture (so less resistance to turn) or your shoulders are stopping and you subconsciously think you need to keep going, so your arms continue. Both are easy to fix on paper.

When the shoulders stop, you should stop. Working on half and three quarter swings help ingrain that.

If you’re standing up a bit on your backswing, a cheapy mirror and a lot of mirror work can fix that

Lots of folks have different feels to try and accomplish this, for me it's feeling like my hands stop between my waist and my shoulders during the backswing, and that's it. I try to stop my backswing as soon as my shoulders are done turning to prevent my hands and arms from going too far, this is something I worked on a lot when I was taking lessons.

Another good feel I've used in the past is the feeling that my trail elbow doesn't bend, my arm stays straight. Obviously the elbow is going to bend plenty, but the feel of trying to keep a straight rear arm keeps my hands in line with my chest for the most part. This is more for drills and half swings than anything else.
Usually a long backswing comes from losing posture (so less resistance to turn) or your shoulders are stopping and you subconsciously think you need to keep going, so your arms continue. Both are easy to fix on paper.

When the shoulders stop, you should stop. Working on half and three quarter swings help ingrain that.

If you’re standing up a bit on your backswing, a cheapy mirror and a lot of mirror work can fix that
I've been trying to focus mostly on shoulders but if my shoulders stop and my arms and hands keep going that ain't gonna help. Appreciate the input. I'll try focusing on shoulders+hands together to try and get my hands to also stop.
And I'm definitely standing up but it's on my downswing.

I also have to remind myself that I'm not 6'2" and 220 pounds of athletic golfer. :(

Little update as I have been grinding on this trying to work this out. Definitely making progress and seeing some improved striking in my rounds, but still a ways to go. Getting the backswing length shortened and slowly getting the feel of it, but still need to get the consistency down. Improving the OTT move is a little slower going but seeing small flashes of that improving as well. Also working on initiating the downswing with my hips and clearing them throughout the downswing. Overall I'm pretty happy so far and will keep putting in the work.

Here's some grabs from an almost 2 hour session this morning.
9FA46BA4-7246-470D-AEA8-259798B06DE5.png
31FB5667-E939-4FEF-B3A3-1D7FE1FD3DD6.png
E3B2F090-E544-420B-9F33-E458ADD21BE5.png
View attachment trim.02377F44-6DE3-4E03-88DE-3A9C482BE721.MOV

Back