pumbaa

Need more golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone dealt with new home builders recently? We have all the big ones lennar, Dr Horton, Stanley martin, toll brothers, Adams, Taylor Morrison, mi, maritage, and every other builder. Anyone have any input? Any ones to stay away from?

All of the nationals......

Definitely stay away from Dr Horton. Have had neighbors and neighborhoods near me and heard some really bad stories.

Had my house built with a regional builder and they did ok. Had some issues and had to keep on them to fix it properly. My advice is whoever you go with, be as thorough as possible and nit pick everything during walk-throughs.

2 things I wish we did was add flooring to the attic so we had more storage. And move some electrical switches and add some more electrical outlets.

Definitely stay away from Dr Horton. Have had neighbors and neighborhoods near me and heard some really bad stories.

Had my house built with a regional builder and they did ok. Had some issues and had to keep on them to fix it properly. My advice is whoever you go with, be as thorough as possible and nit pick everything during walk-throughs.

2 things I wish we did was add flooring to the attic so we had more storage. And move some electrical switches and add some more electrical outlets.
Finding a plot to develop in Charlotte is rough so national builders or super custom are about the only 2 options I wish I could find a nice .5 to 1 acre lot in a solid area and build, but that's pretty tough.

All of the nationals......
I really wish it was an option around here and not having to spend 750 plus on a house. If I could find a local or regional builder in the 550 range I'd be in but they just don't exist from what I've seen here in a good area. I have just started looking so maybe there is something out there I just need to find it.

I really wish it was an option around here and not having to spend 750 plus on a house. If I could find a local or regional builder in the 550 range I'd be in but they just don't exist from what I've seen here in a good area. I have just started looking so maybe there is something out there I just need to find it.
so the wife and I are having an addition built on the house we just inherited, plus full renovations on the inside and we went with a local builder and he does from the ground up as well. I'd try to find local builder if you can with good references. It's a hard process. Tausha and I went through it for 6 months before we finally found the one. So many didn't show up and/or quoted us so outrageous prices that I'd have to sell my kidneys on the black market and then pick up a second job after to afford it. lol

We don't have any of the national builders in Louisville so no comment there, but I bet there are some neighborhoods in Charlotte being developed by non-national builders and I would try to seek those out. The drawback is these tend to be on the pricier side in Louisville.

Just curious on your thoughts on new vs existing? Seems existing is where the deals are right now.

We don't have any of the national builders in Louisville so no comment there, but I bet there are some neighborhoods in Charlotte being developed by non-national builders and I would try to seek those out. The drawback is these tend to be on the pricier side in Louisville.

Just curious on your thoughts on new vs existing? Seems existing is where the deals are right now.
New has some solid deals right now as well. Found a neighborhood in Mooresville that is selling off it's last 15 new homes from lennar and has like 40k off. Just never dealt with lennar so not sure the quality.

New has some solid deals right now as well. Found a neighborhood in Mooresville that is selling off its last 15 new homes from lennar and has like 40k off. Just never dealt with lennar so not sure the quality.
Interesting. Good time to buy right now for sure. Maybe catch a refi if rates drop.

750 up here will get you a nice 1 BR condo lol

Interesting. Good time to buy right now for sure. Maybe catch a refi if rates drop.
The last fed meeting minutes indicated that rate hikes were still in the cards

Locally for us DR Horton, Taylor Morrison and Meritage have been builders with more issues than not.

For us I would trust Pulte, David Weekly, Peery and Highland

The last fed meeting minutes indicated that rate hikes were still in the cards
Yeah but mortgages last 30 years. What the fed does next month or this year is irrelevant on that timeline. What my dad says about mortgage rates is this. You might as well buy now regardless of the rate because it’s either going to be the lowest rate you’ll ever be offered again or you’ll be able to refinance at some future time.

New has some solid deals right now as well. Found a neighborhood in Mooresville that is selling off its last 15 new homes from lennar and has like 40k off. Just never dealt with lennar so not sure the quality.
Some new construction companies are also buying down mortgage rates so it’s possible to get a rate in the mid-high 4s with some of them, compared to the standard 6-7% now

Yeah but mortgages last 30 years. What the fed does next month or this year is irrelevant on that timeline.
I get your point you can always refi when rates go down. This is true however reading the tea leaves a bit this inflation is sticky plus the financial world is bit topsy turby now.

Some new construction companies are also buying down mortgage rates so it’s possible to get a rate in the mid-high 4s with some of them, compared to the standard 6-7% now
Adams and mi homes are both doing that here

Many builders here are buying down rates as well. The one with the most issues over here is Dream Finders, which I am not sure if you have them up there. All the national builders have issues though, because at the end of the day it's about the subcontractors they have doing the work. If they are good, your house will be fine, if they suck, well...

I think - despite any suggestions of who to avoid, you need to visit each and see what you like. Realize that models tend to get special treatment vice your house. Here are a couple facts of the game (today).

We had a house in NoVA that was from Van Metre - I think they were more local than the ones you noted, but Most of the work was done by VM employees - not subbed out to each and everyone.

Our home here in SC, not that way, and frankly I was a bit shocked. It's a Toll Brothers - and it's fine, but they sub out EVERYTHING. At least here, the only people they employ here, are management, oversight and design. I can't say that this is good or bad, but it's something I had not been exposed to in the 2 prior new construction homes I bought.

If I had it to do over, I would find my land and then find my builder, or, at least try that.

I would consult your realtor - they likely won't pan anyone, but they would (a good one) once they know your concerns, steer you to the more reputable firms.

Many builders here are buying down rates as well. The one with the most issues over here is Dream Finders, which I am not sure if you have them up there. All the national builders have issues though, because at the end of the day it's about the subcontractors they have doing the work. If they are good, your house will be fine, if they suck, well...
Quoting this, because it should be stapled to foreheads. All builders are great, and they all suck. Your construction manager is basically your judge jury and executioner with regards to your home’s quality.

Some suck more than others, sure. They all skimp and do things that make no sense to agents. DR Horton for example here, builds two story block homes. Awesome, less fire issue, better in wind, that’s great for quality of home and your insurance, right?

Oh wait… tab shingle roof. The cheapest ass roof you can put on there. Lasts maybe 12-13yrs, and winds over 65-70 will lose shingles. Multi dimensional? 130mph rating. One can take a cat 3, and one is wrecked.

Gotta love builders. Can we get this instead? "Oh, that's extra."

Gotta love builders. Can we get this instead? "Oh, that's extra."
I toured 1 community that said they release homesites on certain days then you must bid usually over ask for the site and the base price of the home and then are required to spend at least 50k in the design studio. So that 500k home is now 600k plus. Absolutely freaking not.

Finding a plot to develop in Charlotte is rough so national builders or super custom are about the only 2 options I wish I could find a nice .5 to 1 acre lot in a solid area and build, but that's pretty tough.

Check out the soils in the area, and the site you are considering purchasing, and consider preconstruction piles for your foundation

Is a tear down an option. Around here small houses on good lots are getting purchased then torn down. Land is very expensive within 20 miles of Boston though.

I work in the new home construction as a trade and I have also heard a lot of bad things from DR Horton as well.

@pumbaa - National ones here in Texas that have a good reputation are:
- Tri Pointe Homes
- Toll Brothers
- Taylor Morrison

Back