Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We’ve discussed Honma Golf countless times at THP over the years, but it’s been quite some time since we’ve written about their golf ball line. Honma, at least in North America, can be a bit enigmatic, and their golf balls are no exception. Some of that is because they are primarily a Japanese equipment brand and somewhat out of reach geographically, but it’s also a consequence of Honma’s reputation as a revered luxury brand. Sometimes a little mystery is a good thing. However, the company has made a concerted effort to engage with golfers in North America in the last few years, and we’ve been excited to get a better picture of them as a complete golf company. Honma announced three newly designed golf balls in early 2024, and THP will be looking at each of them. Today, we are discussing the Honma TW-S, an attractively priced three-piece urethane ball that, on paper at least...

Continue reading...

Had a chance to try a sleeve of these last week on the course. Good feel, soft without being too soft if that makes sense. Great greenside action I was looking for and pretty low spin off the tee. Coming in at a really good price, these were a surprise in a good way.

• Staff
Had a chance to try a sleeve of these last week on the course. Good feel, soft without being too soft if that makes sense. Great greenside action I was looking for and pretty low spin off the tee. Coming in at a really good price, these were a surprise in a good way.
I was a bit surprised as well. Just a hair firmer feeling than some of the other softies out there, which I prefer. The price is insane.

Your level type ball at a sub $40 price tag is incredible. The fact that you all have tested and have good feedback even better.

• Staff
Your level type ball at a sub $40 price tag is incredible. The fact that you all have tested and have good feedback even better.
I want to say 3-4 guys tried them out when we were at Briggs Ranch last week. I don't know that there's anything truly exceptional about them, but they do everything I need a ball to (if that makes sense). They are just a solid option and an extremely attractive price point.

I want to say 3-4 guys tried them out when we were at Briggs Ranch last week. I don't know that there's anything truly exceptional about them, but they do everything I need a ball to (if that makes sense). They are just a solid option and an extremely attractive price point.
There are a lot of golfers out there that want a ball with a reasonable price tag. If these preform well I would think they will sell.

Can't beat that price for sure. Very similar to other DTC companies. Wonder what shipping is though?

This was a solid writeup Ryan!

I like the Honma logo and the price point is solid.

Seeing the comparisons seems like a fun one to try out.

I’m in a little bit of shock over the price if I’m honest. $39 is NOT what I was expecting.

Can't beat that price for sure. Very similar to other DTC companies. Wonder what shipping is though?
Honma by design isn't really a DTC company and can be found at a number of golf stores. They also have a pretty steeped tradition in R&D

Price is solid on this, this model isn’t the one I’d fall into but curious on the TW-X.

And $36 is even better :D
Hahah... I'm only one sip of coffee deep right now and sixes still look like 9's :ROFLMAO:

I’m am happily surprised. I thought these would be north of $75 at least! That price point makes me interested. When I opened the review, my interest level was basically zero.

Honma by design isn't really a DTC company and can be found at a number of golf stores. They also have a pretty steeped tradition in R&D
well I was just considering the price being very similar to DTC companies. I knew they weren't one themselves ;)

I’m am happily surprised. I thought these would be north of $75 at least! That price point makes me interested. When I opened the review, my interest level was basically zero.
Quite the dichotomy, isn't it? On one hand, they produce some of the most exclusive and expensive golf clubs on the market, and on the other hand you have a Tour level ball that is almost 30% cheap than the norm.

Quite the dichotomy, isn't it? On one hand, they produce some of the most exclusive and expensive golf clubs on the market, and on the other hand you have a Tour level ball that is almost 30% cheap than the norm.
Honma equipment is hard to find. Then, you add their normal pricing structure, and it becomes almost unattainable. But, <$40 for a urethane tour ball in today’s market is rare.

Nice write up @Hawk !
As a comparison, would you think this is a QST competitor or Z-Star?

Nice write up @Hawk !
As a comparison, would you think this is a QST competitor or Z-Star?
Thanks! I'd put it in the QST category. I'd probably choose QST if you forced me to make a choice, but I'm also possibly the world's biggest Tour Yellow fan.

Thanks! I'd put it in the QST category. I'd probably choose QST if you forced me to make a choice, but I'm also possibly the world's biggest Tour Yellow fan.
Something I have said forever about Srixon in the balls is that QST is viewed as lesser, solely because of the price.
From a construction stand point, this would be closer to Z-Star, but the compression (which doesnt mean as much with gradient cores now) says QST.

Noticed the dimples in the picture and interesting to read about changes there. I didn't think the previous one were very good from that standpoint. Sounds like they worked to improve that.

Price point is interesting but it's hard to picture it finding much success here despite that. Always a big fan of Honma though and hope people enjoy them.

Back