How Long Does Your Glove Last?

Idrops

Reaction score
I seem to get about four or five rounds out of my glove before it starts to get stiff. Once that happens I don't like using it anymore. I tried various ways of washing them but they still come out stiff feeling. I play with either the Titleist Players or the Permasoft glove. Both act the same. I don't wear them out as in tears or abrasions, rather the leather just gets cardboard like. After a round I try to dry them out in the trunk of my car rather than stuff them in my bag.

Am I going through gloves too fast? Is there a way to prolong their soft feel?

Hirzl and Bionic last me close to a year in the FL sun.
Other brands I get about a month or two tops out of.
Try putting them in a ziplock after use. OEM Kevin was doing this and I tried it and it works.

Try putting them in a ziplock after use. OEM Kevin was doing this and I tried it and it works.

Interesting. Does it just keep them from drying out and hardening?

Interesting. Does it just keep them from drying out and hardening?

It seems to. He would no better, because he has been doing it longer. It seems to give me a little extra time with the glove. Although with the Hirzl, I am going on close to 6 months now and after a hole, it loosens up and is still working great.

Forever cause I don't wear a glove any more!

But when I did, those Hirzls lasted a long time...

I read that you can wash cabretta leather gloves in the washer with cold water and then just air dry (no heat) in the dryer and they will do great. Has anyone tried this?

I read that you can wash cabretta leather gloves in the washer with cold water and then just air dry (no heat) in the dryer and they will do great. Has anyone tried this?

Yes and the seams had all kinds of problems. The only glove that survived a single wash for me was the Bionic.

Do you let it dry out after a round first, then baggie it or just baggie it damp?

The TM Targa seems to last a bit, StaSof and Callaway Ion+ lasted like 3 rounds maybe. I use corded grips though. After seeing Hawks Hirzl I will be getting a couple for next year though.

I seem to get about four or five rounds out of my glove before it starts to get stiff. Once that happens I don't like using it anymore. I tried various ways of washing them but they still come out stiff feeling. I play with either the Titleist Players or the Permasoft glove. Both act the same. I don't wear them out as in tears or abrasions, rather the leather just gets cardboard like. After a round I try to dry them out in the trunk of my car rather than stuff them in my bag.

Am I going through gloves too fast? Is there a way to prolong their soft feel?

It definitely varies from glove to glove. The Titleist Players seems to resist hardening a little bit...but doesn't hold up to wear and tear as well as my usual Footjoy option.

Isn't that just sealing it up with your sweat? Seems like it would mildew pretty quick. G-r-o-s-s.

Haven't tried a Bionic, but a buddy of mine swears by it.

Do you let it dry out after a round first, then baggie it or just baggie it damp?

I have been putting it in right after I finish the 18th hole after it dries. Not the best solution I am sure. But the Hirzl has been great each and every round.

Isn't that just sealing it up with your sweat? Seems like it would mildew pretty quick. G-r-o-s-s.

Having it in a sealed bag or having it in a sealed waterproof compartment in my bag I would think would have very little differences as to affects. I let it dry after 18 (as best I can) and then throw it in there.

I was just thinking about this other day...how my gloves never last. Never thought about the plastic bag idea. Definitely gonna be trying that with my next glove. Thanks for the tip!

Mine tend to last about a month or two. I really need to pick up some Hirzl gloves. I just need to find them in a store, so I can get my correct size.

Define last?

For me it's maybe a month... perhaps a little less but that's with rounds or practice sessions everyday. I just switched to the Hirzl Trust Control so the jury is still out. Love the feel and everything about it thus far.

Alex

I use the FJ WeatherSof and usually get a full season out of it. When I am done with the round, I carefully put it back in the plastic packaging it comes it to make sure I keep it flat. Works well for me.

I'll say +2 on the putting it in a zip loc bag after the round. I usually switch between 2 gloves during my round seeing I play in the humid Louisiana weather. After I get home and clean my clubs off. I stick my gloves in a zip loc for the next round! Usually get around 3-5 months of use out of the gloves.

It seems to. He would no better, because he has been doing it longer. It seems to give me a little extra time with the glove. Although with the Hirzl, I am going on close to 6 months now and after a hole, it loosens up and is still working great.

Couldn't agree more. I've ordered a new Hirzl, but am still using the original one given to me to test back in April. It has a hole in it now, but it still never gets slick NOR crunchy after it dries. I've not used the baggie trick but will definitely give it a try. I don't know if I'll purchase any other glove besides the Hirzl now to be honest, and at this rate I'd probably average about 3 over 2 seasons is my best guess and thats playing at least once sometimes twice a week and multiple range sessions as well.

Yes. They dry stiff as a board. I tried to work it a bit to soften it up but it did not help.

Mine last about 3 months; pretty short season here so go though about 2 a year. Have had better luck with a Hirzl glove, have 3 months with it and still going strong.

I play at least once or twice a week and I buy maybe 4 gloves a year, I will play one until it tears putting it on or until I wear a hole in it somewhere. It takes like two seconds to work one into shape that has stiffened up because of sweat or rain so I don't really notice that. I can play with or without one, I will practice sometimes at the range without one, never putt or chip with one on and also never hit any shot inside of about 100 yards with a glove on so they last a long time for me.

Someone told me about the Ziploc bag trick and it works out well for me.
I stick it in there as soon as I am done with my round. The moisture that is in the glove is retained by the bag and reabsorbed into the glove so it never becomes stiff and will last much longer.
I do this for any expensive glove I buy. For the cheap ones, I don't.
They do get a bit smelly however...

I'll say +2 on the putting it in a zip loc bag after the round. I usually switch between 2 gloves during my round seeing I play in the humid Louisiana weather. After I get home and clean my clubs off. I stick my gloves in a zip loc for the next round! Usually get around 3-5 months of use out of the gloves.

I do the same thing down here. I switch gloves after 9 holes, with 2 gloves lasting my about 2 months. Have never thought about the ziploc bag idea, will have to try that one out. One thing I started doing, was having one glove for practice/range, and keep the other ones for on course use only.

I play nearly every day and I'm on my second glove of the year. I like the ones that are a little worn or broke in better than new ones. Another trick to keep them tacky is to give them a shot of spray on adhesive (Arnold Palmer tip). I just buy normal OEM gloves like the standard Ping, Callaway etc gloves, and I'm getting a hundred plus rounds out of them.

Back