How many computers?

My new issue of Smart Computing has an article on The Single PC Home. This kind of made me laugh a little because my wife doesn't even have a single PC DESK! In fact in our household of two people, we have four computers. Three desktops and one laptop. When we get another desktop, we'll have five total because we will turn the one we replace into a fileserver.

Got me to wondering how other people compare, not so much how many you have, but more along the lines of how many users per computer or how many computers per user. Bigger families might have a bunch of computers but the kids might have to share one or several. Do you have just laptops, just desktops or a combination? A lot of people use their phones to surf the web, but what about for other chores and/or assignments?

If you're in a household with less computers than users, how do you allocate the time to use it and how often does it become an issue?

EDIT: Who does the maintenance on the computers in the household? One person? Or does everyone take care of their own? I take care of maintaining all 4 computers.

Two people - two computers. Both desktops. Seems like enough to me. :dohanim:

Maintenance? Mine is more than 7 years old and it pretty much takes care of itself. I replaced the video card several years ago when the fan went out on the OEM one. I doubled the ram, added a CD burner... all were done more than 5 years ago. I've got a 250 gb external HD because the 80 gb stock one just wasn't enough (it was big at the time I bought it). I run the defrag about once a year if I remember to. That's about it.

We have 2 laptops and one PC. The BF and I will share the PC, but if he needs it, he'll kick me off and vice versa :D

Which is fine, because usually when I'm at home, I'm not really on the computer much since I'm on the computer at work about 8 hours a day!! If we need maintenance, my mom knows people at her work (she only lives 3 blocks away) and they come and help!!

At work, I have 2 computers all to myself!!

We have two desktops for two people and I have a laptop that I seldom bring home from the office.

My wife and I both do routine maintenance. I get called in for major problems.

Back