How much do you spend on equipment?

No way I wanna think about this. Bettinardis cost alone is a scary thought.

During the time between Dec 2012 - Mar 2013, I replaced everything in my bag with the exception of my putter. List includes the following,

* New Driver
* New 4 Wood
* 2 x New Hybrids
* New Irons
* 2 x New Wedges

I made money on the kit that I sold but have probably spent somewhere in the region of £500-£600 as some of the kit was Christmas/Birthday presents as well.

Yep I don't belong to any club right now
Yet, I live on the first TPC course in USA, and guess what they're in receivership
LOL
I get bored playing the same course every day, so I rotate around 7 to 10 courses I like
A few of my clients and friends are members at the top courses in SFL, so I get on the top private courses often
As to me joining a club
Like Groucho said, any club that would have me as a member, I wouldn't want to belong to
haha
I'm an older guy (50's) that still hit's it long for my age, so I like to play with good younger players, most in mid 20's to early 30's and most of them can't afford to play private clubs, so they play once or twice a week at resort level, or semi private tracks
I've belonged over the years to a few clubs, but, I really don't like that usual crowd, professionals and minor execs in big companies
I've founded numerous software and internet companies over the years, most don't know my history, so they see an older guy with rock star long hair tooling around in high end exotic cars with 18 to 22 year old girls and they think, hmmm, drug dealer or whatever
They form an attitude and act like whatever
So to me, CC's aren't that 'cool'
I honestly don't get along with that crowd, that belongs to the better CC's
Some people get along with country club crowd
Me, I'm way different than anyone, march to my own drum, don't need 'contacts', etc
It's about the same money to play nice courses and belong to a nice club
Most clubs are 600 to 700 a month range with cart use fees of 25/30 a round
So you spend 1600 or so to play everyday at a CC
I stopped walking long courses when I turned 40
So I drive carts now
I do a minor amount of 'work' a few days in the AM, then I golf afternoons, a few days a week I play in AM's
Since January 1st I've been playing everyday again, my New Year's resolution
I had pneumonia for 10 days in late March so that's the only days I missed this year so far, with maybe 2 or 3 days it rained all day
There's too many good courses in SFL to get stuck playing one CC all the time
IMO

I don't put a number next to it. I kind of don't want to know when all is said and done haha!

This. Major equipment changes happen every 2-3 years. I think I'm set with what I have currently for a long while. Only thing that changes routinely is drivers'

My wife would say I spend too much and I would tend to agree.

Appreciate the thoughts folks

For some people, like myself, I know the available cash to spend will have an impact on how much you can put towards your game, but it is still interesting to see how people tend to apportion their money, be it on clubs on a regular basis, or to stay with a certain set and spend it on the other things such as clothing

1player, I certainly wish I had the disposable income to put towards my game, but if you have it, then why not enjoy it

Canadan, I completely know where you are coming from with your comment, I have been the same in the past with certain purchases and dread to think how much it would have cost at the time

The msrp for my equipment and what I actually paid are very different. But I do a good job of hanging on to equipment. My biggest thing is clothing. It's so expensive yet I can't stop.

Tapa Slice

I have been turning my bag over once a year recently so i guess i Spend about $250 a month on Equipment

2 kids cuts the budget - so i'll give myself ~500 a year in related expenses (sans green fees) and carry forward if I don't spend that much.

I'm definitely a budget shopper for golf gear, not a single piece of my equipment has been bought at full retail.

Up until the last 2 years I was the hand me down guy/used buyer, then last year bought R11 9* & White Ice #1, this year I bought G20 irons (5i-SW), RBZ Tour 14.5 3W & X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid and I don't see me spending much more once I figure out which wedge (58* or 60*) I'm going to get in the next few weeks, but now that I found THP website that may change as I now have a reliable source for info to steer me in the right direction, instead of going in and buying a off the shelf product (Never really knew about fittings). Plus this year I plan on golfing alot more then I have in the past years so after this season I may have new outlook on equipment and how much I may change things.

Last edited:
Less than my lovely wife spends on her hair and less than my wonderful kids cost for...well, anything.

When I started playing golf about 6-7 years ago, I bought the clubs that people told me that I should have. As I began playing more and more, and got better - I realized that was a mistake. I blame that on my inexperience with golf. Over the last 2 years I have replaced the clubs in my bag - year 1 it was the Driver and 3 wood. This year it was the irons. Each of those purchases I was diligent with because I want those purchase to last the next 5-10 years before I need to make another change.

It hit me the other day that I am completely at peace with all of the clubs in my bag and have no interest in changing for awhile. It is both a weird and great feeling at the same time.

Going forward, I am hoping that the majority of my golf spending is greens fees, gloves and golf balls.

This year has been the most since i started playing again, new driver, fwd, used hybo, used irons(had adjusted), used wedges, lessons. I usually go through a couple balls a

I got into a problem where I would buy stuff just because it was a deal or I wanted it. With a new baby due in July, I have really cut back.

Right now, if I spend money, it will be on balls or hats.

Not that much... Most of expense comes from playing. I did drop about 600 this pay year overhauling top of bag. I tend to game clubs for 6 years plus.

Total of 3 kids with one in college so not much at all. Maybe $100-150 per year for the items such as balls and gloves and maybe a new shirt or hat in there once a year. I had a little extra this spring so I got a used hybrid for $55. That was first piece of equipment I've bought in a few years (outside of the putter my wife got me for my birthday). Having a limited amount to spend on myself for golf, I'd rather roll out there with the older gear and spend the money for greens fees. I'd much rather play five or six rounds for $300 than have a new driver.

I'm a wedge junky so I like to get new spin mills every 6 months. Completely unnecessary but I love the feeling of a new wedge. Oddly enough, I hate wedge scrapes on my golf ball which is caused by the new spin mills so it's a vicious cycle. I spend about $500/yr on wedges and about $250/yr on balls. I have a ton of old sets that I have for sale and I recently have been taking in trades when selling the clubs so the resale of the trade-in clubs have offset some of my wedge and ball costs.

I don't cycle through clubs all that often as it is too expensive for me, but I seem to buy in shifts. Most of my clubs were purchased within the last 18 months except for my irons which are 3 years old. I buy gloves on the cheap and I ask everyone for golf balls for Christmas. When I purchase, I purchase for the long haul (or I buy cheap to experiment, like on putters).

I would say that overall, I average maybe $400-500 per year, but that number ranges anywhere from $100-$1000 depending on what I "need"

Probably too much considering that I've replaced my entire bag (including the bag itself lol) in the last year. Throw in some clubs that I didn't keep/didn't work out for whatever reason, and it gets pricey. Since this is my only hobby really, I don't worry about it too much. I will say that when something is purchased, I usually sell or give away something else to keep the horde manageable. At this point the only extras I'm holding onto are a couple of drivers and a wedge.

A lot less this year compared to previous years! I spent a lot of money finding the clubs that I felt most comfortable with. I was going through 2 iron sets a year for about 3 years and several sets of wedges, different putters and drivers and lots of hybrids. It wasn't until I got my first Cleveland 588 that I wanted to find the "perfect" clubs for me and stick with them. After the 588's I fell in love with my 910, after that I found the VR Pro Combos and don't see myself switching from those for a very long time. The only thing I have yet to find that really makes me happy is a couple of hybrids. I like the Adams V4 but they just didn't seem to have the same spark that everything else did. I still hit all of the new clubs every year but I have yet to find anything to replace what I have in the bag currently. This year has been all about getting everything fitted and getting the shafts that are better for me.

After reading everyones comments about holding onto clubs for years, I believe I might have a consumption problem! I have bought and sold 5 iron sets this year alone!

After reading everyones comments about holding onto clubs for years, I believe I might have a consumption problem! I have bought and sold 5 iron sets this year alone!

I get the feeling that quite a few people here have that problem.....just blame the site :D

I like the fact that there is a complete spread from those who change regularly, to those like myself, who, once they find something that works, they hang onto it for quite a while

My aim for this year is to hopefully get a set of fitted irons, wedges, a driver and a new putter so it could be an expensive year, but hopefully this would then be offset by hanging onto them for quite some time and getting a good few years out of them before I decide to look at new gear again

Thanks to the being fortunate enough to be selected for the Morgan Cup the last 2 years, I really haven't spent any money on clubs.

I did however buy a Laser rangefinder, a Callaway Upro MX+ GPS, a couple of pairs of golf sunglasses, and spent $900 on lessons from GolfTEC in the past year.

And don 't even get me started on golf outings...LOL

As far as balls go, I buy maybe a dozen a month.

When I first started this game, I started with hand me downs. A friend gifted me some old irons, neighbor gifted me razr hawk (since retired). Now that I like the game last year I bought a set of a12 os for $200. This year I have spent $500 on r1 and stage 2 3w. Next step is to replace wedges and get a putter. I would say I probably budget $40/month on balls and tees. I usually get my golf balls from neighbor for free. However, since I have decided to go with e6 I buy them from lgb.

Back