How old is the Oldest person you know personally / play with that can carry a drive 250y..?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
How OLD is the oldest person you play with - or - know personally that can carry a drive 250 yards...?

A buddy I know is 66. He had one shoulder repaired but it still gave him fits. I think he had an infected bursa or something that popped a few weeks ago. He's now pain free and crushing the ball. He had moved up a tee box when he turned 65. He drove two greens a couple weeks ago and one of his contemporaries told him to move back. He doesn't carry 250 but he hits line drives that roll out 250+ pretty easily.

I've seen 60+ somewhat regularly able to achieve that total distance. Multiple people.

A 73 year old man I play with can drive it that far. He's a former minor league baseball player, so he had a lot of speed to lose as he aged.

ETA: Mistook the carry in the thread title for total. Dude can drive it 260, but he's not carrying it 260.

I've seen very few golfers who can carry it 260, period.

Last edited:
I have a 75 year old occasional playing partner that easily covers 250. Former marine and I would not want to get into a fight with this ox.

I play with a few 70 - 73 year old guys who play easily cover 250+ yards with their drives.

My father is probably the oldest person I play with regularly (62), and he still carries it 270+

I played an annual tournament with a group of guys from Oklahoma for several years. One of the them was a short 72-year old (on the first of the 3 years we played, so 74 the last year), and he could hit it as far as we could, easily carrying it 260+ with a medium trajectory and plenty of roll. His swing was compact but very fluid, and he could generate clubhead speed effortlessly. We all watched him warming up on the range, trying to figure out how he could hit the ball so far. It was immediately evident that the guy had no stiffness and was very flexible. His swing mechanics were simple and efficient, and he seemed to generate some extra speed with his hands at impact. It was pretty amazing.

I play 6 rounds a month with a 73 year old buddy who is close to that - about a 245 yard carry. His GPS had him averaging 272 yards off the tee in a recent round and his course handicap from the 6,540 yard tees at our course is 0. He has 17 club championships to his credit along with 4 aces and an amazing 4 albatrosses.

Wow, I’m in a senior league with about 2 dozen players. We only have one guy who can hit it over 250 and he has to have the wind behind him and get 30 yards of roll. He’s also the youngest guy in the group at age 60.

I’m 33 and don’t play with anyone who regularly carries it 250.

I'm slightly older and I don't even carry 200.

My 35/36 year old BIL his average carry this year I think he said was 286. My newest BIL is 31 this year and his is probably close to 300. So, oldest I play with would be 35/36. Most of the people I play with more are in the 150-200 range, where I'm most comfortable.

I'm 63. I am usually in the low 260's for carry + roll, but 250 carries on level ground in no wind is a bit of a stretch, it can be done, but not counted upon.

I am very impressed seeing all the plus 60 and 70 year olds carry such far distances.

My dad, who is 75, now barely carries 180 so distance has become a challenge for him.

I dont think people have any idea how far they carry the ball.

250 yards is a very big carry distance to average. It would put you in the middle of the pack on the Champions Tour where they average 278 yards off the tee on those two driving holes that are measured each round. Many overestimate how far they and others hit it.

My father is probably the oldest person I play with regularly (62), and he still carries it 270+
Nasty Sr still using a Cobra driver?:unsure:

250 yards is a very big carry distance to average. It would put you in the middle of the pack on the Champions Tour where they average 278 yards off the tee on those two driving holes that are measured each round. Many overestimate how far they and others hit it.
A low handicap (someone who consistently hits near center of face) with a swing speed of ~105mph should be in that average 250 carry range. I had my father (mid-single digit cap) on a sim earlier this year to tune up his driver settings and he was in the 110-113 mph range with ~270 yds carry on most shots.

Right now, probably around 60 ....not sure the exact age of the guy i'm thinking of but around there.

A few years back i knew a guy in his late 60's who could do it. But he is in his 70's now and no longer can

My buddy Jimmy. 68 and can absolutely hammer the ball. He's a thin 6' 6" and near scratch, helluva player still.

I know one in his mid 60s that can hit it that far. I am not sure of his exact age.

Think he's 73. He's big though.

I don't even think I carry a drive 250!

Back