How Strong Is Your Grip?

collegefbfan

Reaction score
When I just naturally grip the club, I think it is mainly weak. I can maybe see one knuckle. I see that many favor all the benefits of a strong grip. It just solves a host of problems. I hit a few balls into the net today where I used a stronger grip. I can't say how much it helped because I didn't get to practice much (time to go out for supper). Just curious who all uses a semi or crazy extreme strong grip?

I have a very light grip, dont strangle it.

I am pretty neutral.

Mine is fairly neutral, to my eye. I’ve toyed around with both stronger and weaker grips, and this feels best for me with best results.

Neutral!!!

Pretty neutral. Never been one to stray too far at address. My left has a tendency to roll strong though.

I’m relatively neutral.

When I was hooking a lot I went weaker and it helped. I'm pretty neutral though I think.

Mine is somewhere between neutral and weak.

Mild strong , but that’s also complimentary to very late release of hands , through the ball … =
The sum of , all my parts and stroke = relatively straight ball through all clubs.

Occasional have errant shot here or there but it’s not chaos and irretrievable

I'm pretty neutral for the long game, weaker for the short game. I used to have a much stronger grip when I played years ago, but now find if I play around with strong, my brain seems to over compensate and leaves the club face open - weird so I don't mess with it.

A

Overall I’d say neutral. I have toy’s with strong grip over the years but have to watch for pull hooks if turnover too quickly.

Neutral for me.

Strong enough to ground a flying elbow.

I’ve always been naturally on the strong side. Just the way I was originally taught and it’s never strayed too far the other way

Mine is just on the stronger side of neutral. Shot-dependent, of course...

Every time I've asked my long-time friend and teaching pro about it he tells me my grip is neutral and probably closer to strong than weak. Shows what I know, it sure looks weak to me.

About a decade ago I asked about trying to strengthen my grip but the amount of body rotation I needed to produce to hit good shots was very difficult, I found. After just a couple months I went back to gripping and swinging like I always did and I've not been tempted to change again.

His advice is, as long as the hands stay connected (close together) and work as a unit, it's a good grip. It isn't like strong/neutral/weak has a right or wrong answer, it's just descriptive and depends mostly on how the rest of your swing works.

Every time I've asked my long-time friend and teaching pro about it he tells me my grip is neutral and probably closer to strong than weak. Shows what I know, it sure looks weak to me.

About a decade ago I asked about trying to strengthen my grip but the amount of body rotation I needed to produce to hit good shots was very difficult, I found. After just a couple months I went back to gripping and swinging like I always did and I've not been tempted to change again.

His advice is, as long as the hands stay connected (close together) and work as a unit, it's a good grip. It isn't like strong/neutral/weak has a right or wrong answer, it's just descriptive and depends mostly on how the rest of your swing works.
That sounds like solid advice.

I tend to be neutral with the left hand (I am right-handed), but after watching a Padraig Harrington video on the grip, I tend to be very "on top" or "weak" with the right hand.

Neutral tending to slightly strong.

Now that I tend to draw the ball I can't get too strong.

Neutral. But I will adjust it if I need to fade or draw the ball

You can see 6 knuckles on my left hand😁. Been like that forever

Back