How tight do you hold your clubs?

Newman21

Reaction score
Handicap
Curious what you all are doing for grip pressure. Between 1-10, 1 being the lightest (hardly holding) to 10 (strangling it).

I have more "whip" if I lightly hold the grip. Maybe around a 5.5-6 where I don't have a problem with letting the club fall out. I also seem to not chili dip shots as much if I have the lighter grip. Curious as to what you all are doing or have tested out. What have you seen as you have tried different pressures?

My problem is gripping the club too tightly and it's hard to stop it.

I hold it at about 4.

If it's any more loose the head will rotate at impact.

If I hold it a lot tighter my club face will not be square at impact and we all know what happens with that.

Probably a 6.5-7 about, tried the looser grip but my mind says it’ll fly out of my hands even with taper on grips so that’s my comfort zone.

I grip too tight. No matter how hard I try to soften my grip, I still grip it too tight.

What i've always heard was tight enough to hold a bird between your hands without letting it fly away, but not so tight that you crush (or kill) the bird 🐦

I prefer to hold firmly but not at maximum force . Being a tradie have firm grip and arms . I have also experimented with alternative grip … that is firmer on one hand than the other.

in numerical sense - 7 ish

also of the belief that tour players hold the club a lot firmer than what people believe …

I hold it in my fingers and start about 4/10. It increases without thinking from there.

A soft 8. I tried that whole hold it loose thing and almost lost a few clubs. It’s not really a finger squeeze, but the effect of my hands locking together. It’s in there tight, but not much effort is used to lock it in. I’m slowly remembering things my old instructor taught me and gripping the club firmly from the start was one of them. Otherwise I’d squeeze in my transition.

My grip pressure is more than most. I feel more in control of the club that way.

Probably go with a 6-7. More with driver which is probably bad.

Probably around 6-7 has improved (softer going to +4 grips )

I'm.probably like a 5.5 or so. Tight enough, but not straining or anything.

8+, but definitely not as tight as I could. Grip needs to be tight while keeping the wrists/arms loose.

People think that a loose/soft grip equals speed, but almost nobody that swings fast will say they grip loose/soft.

I squeeze the death out of it .... then after a few waggles, I loosen the right hand pressure a bit. That's my swing trigger.

I start off with a nice light grip but I can't seem to keep the pressure the same once I start the downswing I tend to grip tighter than I should.

Slightly more than a caress

Not as strong as I used to but definitely with a firm grip. If my wrists start to feel tight then I need to ease up. So probably about a 6.

The MCC +4 helped me a lot with having the appropriate grip FWIW

"Grip as if you're holding a bird" <-- that bird is dead.
"Grip as if you're holding a tube of toothpaste" <-- that tube is empty.
"Grip as if you're holding a damp towel and you're not squeezing the water out" <-- that towel is DRY!:ROFLMAO:

I'd think it was a deathgrip. But it isn't. If it was, my hands would be aching after a bit. They don't. I'll say I grip my clubs with maybe a 7. But I have felt the rubber grip move under my thumb... maybe it's a 7.5. Or an 8.5:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That bird thing is a crock, IMHO. If you’re swinging driver at 100mph plus, you need to hold on tight enough not to lose the club down the fairway. And that would certainly squish any bird. For pros at 120+ they’d squish a turkey. maybe at 7 or 8 irons and lower you need more ‘feel’ in your grip and can grasp with less pressure. Trick is to grip firmly WITHOUT tensing your forearms. That’s what most people have trouble with.

I learned a long time ago that in an ideal golf swing grip pressure is dynamic not static. Further, that grip pressure is variable depending on which finger in the hand you are talking about.

With the overlap or interlock grip, grip pressure comes from the pinky through middle finger on the top hand and the two middle fingers in the bottom hand. The grip pressure should be light through those fingers when you setup to the ball to keep the muscles relaxed and discourage manipulating the club at the beginning of the backswing.

Those with a quick tempo may experience an increase in grip pressure halfway through the backswing to the top. Those with a more languid backswing should not. On the downswing there naturally will be some increase in grip pressure to prevent the club from flying out of your hands, but no more. Players with all arms swings have to exert more grip pressure, but this is not what you want. You want a downswing powered by a proper ground up lateral, then rotational movement through the core where lag is naturally maintained then the clubhead is catapulted through the impact zone and down the target line and maximum grip pressure happens way past impact when the clubhead and arms are fully extended down the line. The purpose again for the increase in grip pressure being to prevent the club from flying out of your hands.

The range of grip pressure throughout this process starts with a 2-3 at setup and has a maximum of 5-7 at full extension past impact--less if you are a player that doesn't create a lot of swing speed.

Luckily I practice on a nice light grip So my glove lasts quite a long time if I notice excessive wear on it I know it's time to practice holding the club Shaft straight out and relaxing my grip just before the club drops

Back