How to have fun when playing bad?

I do find it somewhat amazing how many pretty darn good players are freaking miserable as all heck from the first tee through the last hole.

fort me, I wont lie....golf is much more fun when your doing well. I think that's just human nature.

As for keeping an enjoyable round no matter what? I wont lie about that either as there are times when its not fun. However....through the years I have learned to make those fewer and farther between. Oh I may get frustrated after a bad hit and then another and then another. But every time I proceed to take the next shot I lose all those feelings for that moment. If it gets that bad I just start laughing at myself (out loud) in order to enjoy the time.

For the most part I have come to realize life is far too short to spend my resources of time and money only to make myself miserable. Its not worth it any other way and if your going to be that miserable you may as well find something else to do or go take care of some obligations and at least get some satisfaction out of your time for knowing they are done.

But I will admit there are times I can lose it as no body is perfect. Score, no score, that crap has no affect whatsoever as I've tried that a zillion times. You hit a bad shot and another and your going to get frustrated even if your not keeping track. It then just becomes a matter of what to do with the frustration, how long you allow it to last, and what your next thing will be. More often then not I laugh it off. You can see me slam a club into the ground or go to grab my own head in frustration but when I have to take the next shot I let it all leave. I hit another bad one I laugh. At least I try to do these things and they work for me for the most part. I have on rare occasion walked off the course in the past as mentioned in another thread but so what. If I was feeling that miserable that day then time is better off spent doing something else imo. Again...it too precious to waste if your going to be miserable.

Sow with all that said , I am not perfect but over all I maintain an over all enjoyable time most rounds on most occasions. Having good friendly company that knows how to laugh at least a bit makes things fun too. Sometimes that's worth a whole lot. I don't want to talk nothing but golf for 4 hrs straight either. Not work or money but just general BS with some friendly laughs inbetween can really make a round for me even if its a bad one.

I can get really ticked playing miserable but with the right company I can still have a few laughs. The biggest thing is to not let your frustration imact your playing partners.

ive found what works for me is setting the right expectations before the round starts. If I go in expecting to hit consistently good shots, I usually walk away angry.

If I start the round with the expectation to just relax and have fun, it usually ends up to be an enjoyable round and my scores start dropping too.

I look around and take it in. Even at sub par courses just look around nature can be beautiful if you take a moment to enjoy it

Start drinking beer!!

I'm getting good at this as my playing/practice has decreased I've realized I'm not gonna play the way I think I should 80% or more of the time. I'm just enjoying the fact I am actually playing golf not buried in chores or work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is not a whole lot that is fun about golfing bad. I just start drinking so it takes my mind off how much I am sucking.

ive found what works for me is setting the right expectations before the round starts. If I go in expecting to hit consistently good shots, I usually walk away angry.

If I start the round with the expectation to just relax and have fun, it usually ends up to be an enjoyable round and my scores start dropping too.

It's surprising how well that can work sometimes. I did pretty similar this past Sunday and managed to get a decent round out of what would have normally been a bad one. I guess it's true that sometimes all we can change about a situation is our attitude, but that doing that can actually change everything.

I can get really ticked playing miserable but with the right company I can still have a few laughs. The biggest thing is to not let your frustration imact your playing partners.
I would say that our round at Tobiano is probably the best example of still having fun in a godawful round I have haha.

That being said, I hope we both have the chance to play together again so that we can convince each other we actually know how to play! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Put your score card away and just enjoy that you are out playing golf (not working, etc). Make the best of the shots you are doing right. Realize you aren't getting paid to play. Have fun!

Back