How to improve putting inside 10’?

Scooby45

Use data, get better.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
Over the last few years, relatively speaking my putting outside 10’ is clearly better than inside 10’. I’m going to work on that over winter.

I’d be curious how folks have or would tackle that issue if it was them.

Over the last few years, relatively speaking my putting outside 10’ is clearly better than inside 10’. I’m going to work on that over winter.

Do you find your miss is more short/long or left/right?

Mixed bag honestly in my case
I worked with a putt out and putting mirror all last winter and felt like I had more success putting this year than years past. My goal was 50 putts a day working with both those tools and it seemed to of helped.

I found a new ball that I was happy with for driving distance, greenside spin, and putting.
I also went back to the putter that worked best for me, an Odyssey Indianapolis.

Then I went to a chipping green with a lot of slope and started practicing.

Perfect Practice mats are on sale and there’s a coupon on the deals thread. Time for an early visit from Santa. I just set mine up and after 5 minutes with the mirror I could see my shoulders were out of whack. Watching the line on the ball stay solid is a nice warm and fuzzy.

I do believe speed is tricky under 10’ because you can putt though it a bit, but it’s risk reward.

Indoors I work on alignment to help with left/right with a PuttOut mat, some practice gates and a laser that attaches to my shaft. And I make sure to spend time working against the lines on the mat as much as with them. Haven't found a good way to work on speed control indoors.

I worked with a putt out and putting mirror all last winter and felt like I had more success putting this year than years past. My goal was 50 putts a day working with both those tools and it seemed to of helped.

Great start imo. Add the gates that the ball must travel through a foot away, and you'll improve pretty quick. The mirror will have you setting up consistently, and the gates will ensure you are always starting the ball on its intended line. These two things are maybe the most important things imo.

I am a horrid short putter these days. Pace is usually pretty good. My miss is always wherever the hole isn't.

Perfect Practice mats are on sale and there’s a coupon on the deals thread. Time for an early visit from Santa. I just set mine up and after 5 minutes with the mirror I could see my shoulders were out of whack. Watching the line on the ball stay solid is a nice warm and fuzzy.

I do believe speed is tricky under 10’ because you can putt though it a bit, but it’s risk reward.

This matt has helped me across the board. Can be many things but for me most commonly I let my left hand grip pressure change leading to trail hand altering face angle. The shorter putts can be tough because they need to be so short.

Back when I was not a good putter, the issue was deceleration because my backswing was way too big.

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Same. I got one of those mats and mirrors for my office and spent hours every time I’m at work on conference calls just rolling putts. It helped me develop a very solid and repeatable putting stroke and starting putts on the line I intent is much easier.

I will add a vote for the Putt out. It's not expensive and it can really help. It's not a cure all but I know my make percentage on 4'-6 feet when I practice with the PuttOut is better.
My daughter found it funny watching me try and make one when I first got it and we used to have competitions. I have seen them on Tour practice greens if that matters.

Mixed bag as far as misses. I put balls all around the hole to putt from different directions

Get one of those two color balls and line up the equator of the two colors to your target. This makes sure your hitting it square if you don't see any wobble. Then practice and practice some more.

Attachments

• Srixon-q-star-tour-divide-yellow-red-side.png
    Srixon-q-star-tour-divide-yellow-red-side.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

The "3 Ps". Practice-Practice-Practice.
This practice would include reading greens.

Grab a 2" wide, 48" length metal ruler. Find a flat spot, put the ball on one end of the ruler, make a putt and see how far you can keep the ball on the ruler. Do that all winter with the goal being the ball dying off the other end of the ruler, every time. Have fun...

Over the past 3 years I have used the same method with some pretty good results.
I have a space in my office that is just a little over 10’. I use an alignment stick and just concentrate on making a repeatable stroke. I do have a target that I focus on to ensure the ball is online. I will spend 20-30 minutes a day rolling putts. Since starting this, I have become more confident in the 10’ range and my accuracy has improved significantly.

Depends on the miss, but imo it's more mental than stroke related for me. On longer putts it kinds of "frees" up my stroke bc I know I am not expected to make them. For some reason the putts inside of 10' we think we need to make them all and we tense up.

For me I tend to just try to loosen my shoulders and tension and focus on my line and speed. Sounds trivial or "duh" but really it comes down to removing tension so you can make the best stroke you can.

1) Proper fitting for AIM bias. To make sure what you SEE is how you SET UP your putter. For most, it isn’t.

2) Practice your ass off of removing variables from the putting stroke. This means mirror work and posture/position work as opposed to just block practice of trying to make a thousand 10 footers.

I built a Camry green with furniture risers in my home office. Can only hit up to ~5 feet comfortably, but being able to practice putts with real cups and break has helped a lot. Spent a lot of time at the beginning of this year trying to figure out what techniques worked best for me.

Great start imo. Add the gates that the ball must travel through a foot away, and you'll improve pretty quick. The mirror will have you setting up consistently, and the gates will ensure you are always starting the ball on its intended line. These two things are maybe the most important things imo.

This is way harder than i thought. I had to use the 60mm gate i go to the 55mm i keep hitting it.
Visio.jpg

Back