How's your temperament/mental game?

Reaction score
Handicap
I've tried to change this massively in large part after listening to the likes of Lou Stagner/Mark Crossfield on the Hack It Out Golf podcast, mainly around managing expectations but also attitude approaching a shot/scenario. Without being arrogant, feel like I do a really good job now compared to others given what I see and hear.

This seems like obvious low-hanging fruit, just the basics of not letting your score dictate your enjoyment on the course. Everyone gets frustrated but the merits of putting a bad shot quickly behind you are clear. Given, by definition, you will more often than not play worse than your handicap, it seems daft to actively spend a chunk of your weekend angry.

We played with a couple of old boys recently (76/77), both really nice guys, seemingly docile. Come the second shot on the second hole, I had to turn away to hide the amusement as I looked over my shoulder to see one of them, arms fully aloft with fairway wood in hand, proceeding to launch it top over tail down the hole. Hell of a way to spend the retirement. :LOL:

Examples of how not to approach shots- myself and playing partner didn't have great rounds at the weekend there but he was seemingly making his best efforts to sabotage any chance of keeping his score as low as possible. Comments before driving like 'Probably away to launch this drive OB', 'this is such a hard tee shot' etc. Why say it? What are you expecting to happen with an approach like that?

My favourite had to be a really good recovery pitch he played on a par 3, half decent chance at making par (8ft or thereabouts), bogey at worse...'I'll probably still end up making a 5 now!' He actually managed to 4 putt for a 6 just by sheer complacency. Spread that throughout a round and how many shots are you throwing away?

I used to over think nearly everything, and I used to get pissed off (as myself) easily. Now, I'm pretty much just happy to be there, and I try to not let things get in my head. Just play advance the ball, and enjoy the moment - I know it sounds obvious or easy, and for some it may well be. I am a strong believer in low expectations - and with them you can just relax more and surpass them (often).

I've improved. Down to a few low "eff me's" at the end of a round when I'm tired.:)

I'm pretty down to earth on the course. I might throw a little flair for the dramatics and entertainment, but since I often play by myself it's usually a very quiet round with none of that silly stuff.

I allow myself about 5 seconds to be upset over a bad shot. There's nothing you can do about it. The hangover from a bad shot can easily ruin a round. So I try to stay positive.

But it's normal to be pissed. No club throwing. Maybe a soft to mid ground smack with the club head. Not hard enough to make a dent in the ground. And I'll call my self a few choice words. Then I move on.

My main goal is to not let my emotions effect my playing partners. It's not their fault.

It is a work in progress.
After a bad shot I still cuss but then I try to focus saying "Don't turn 1 bad shot into 2 or 3"
After reading The 4 Foundations of Golf, It really made me change how I look at certain aspects of my game and what is a Bad shot.

Golf is hard but we don't have to be so hard on ourselves. It's not a game of perfect!

I just tell myself I'm nowhere good enough to get mad over bad shots or scores. I get frustrated at times, sure. But I remind myself that I'm outside having fun, usually with friends & family, and there are worse things in life than a couple (or more) bad golf shots.

Honestly - I try and just take things as they come. I would say I am pretty mild-mannered on the course, RARELY let my emotions get the best of me.

Grinding can mean different things, but to me, if a hole goes off the rails, I no longer bail and sulk until the next tee box. I will take each shot as it comes and try my best, be it a chip for double or a putt for double par. Every shot is a chance to work on getting better. Even if i post a 9 on a par 5 that I never saw the fairway on, I will still line up my 20 foot putt and try my best to make it.

I allow myself the "Five Second of Fury" and after that, get back to business.

Grinding can mean different things, but to me, if a hole goes off the rails, I no longer bail and sulk until the next tee box. I will take each shot as it comes and try my best, be it a chip for double or a putt for double par. Every shot is a chance to work on getting better. Even if i post a 9 on a par 5 that I never saw the fairway on, I will still line up my 20 foot putt and try my best to make it.
This should be etched in stone at the first tee on every course.

I used to let myself spiral out of control and if I start out a round really well I do have to work at times to keep myself in check mentally. But lately I've learned to just enjoy being out there. With two young kids my time on the course is limited so I'm just trying really hard to enjoy the time I do have with the game and hope the results come later.

Mine's great. I just love playing golf. I celebrate the good and take the bad as just part of it.

I'm working on a new approach, you get 5-6 seconds to be pissed off & then it's on to the next shot.

After the initial embarrassment and bitterness of a poor tasting shot, I think it’s best to use 10 seconds to figure out what you need to do to correct whatever happened and then forget the shot. It never happened. I mean, you need to keep your confidence.

Jack Nicklaus, when asked about a 3-putt, told the questioner, "I did not 3-putt."

Golf requires a lack of memory.

Last edited:
I’ll get frustrated with myself for a few seconds but rarely do I let it carry on over the course of an entire round. Once the hole is over I always have the bounce back mentality.

This is where having confidence off the tee is so helpful. It’s one thing to tell yourself to bounce back but it means so much more when you can back it up with a good first shot on the next hole

I'm not as bad as I was in my younger days. I used to get so mad. A buddy one day says "why do you get so mad, you're not good enough to get that mad" I'll still cuss after a bad shot, I still let a really bad hole get to me on the next hole. I don't break clubs anymore, I don't throw clubs, I will light club slam (more like a hard club tap) of the driver after multiple poor drives in a row. When I'm having a really bad day I'll tell myself I should take up pickleball.

In the past, I have embarrassed myself by slamming my club into the ground, but I have gotten so much better with this that I just laugh it off. (or swear under my breath).

I'm working on a new approach, you get 5-6 seconds to be pissed off & then it's on to the next shot.
See my above post for the official title.

I used to fester and brood/sulk, but, no more. It's all about the next shot and making it the best one I can.

My mental, and temperament game is great. I don't get frustrated over playing poor golf, or anything else for that matter. I don't remember "losing it" since maybe 2007, and that was probably work related.

I do make mental mistakes, and hit poor shots. Just like everyone else, I have all the bad shots in my bag. I just swing the club head, and move on , just as I was taught.

Actually I kind of enjoy getting out of the bad situations I sometimes put myself into.

Rather I shoot a 78, an 84, or 100, it's all fun.

I’m getting better. Managing expectations is huge. Not only in regards to recognizing shots above my ability, but also accepting that I’m not always going to execute shots that are well within my ability.

Even if controlling my frustration requires more effort than most, course management is lowest of low-hanging fruit. It’s the one thing that I can do as well as the most skilled of players. When I do make a poor decision, I recognize it and try to learn from it.

98% of the time you wouldn’t know if I was in the low 80’s or in the mid 90’s. I try to be the same guy. I may be dissappointed inside because of a poor round - but, I try not to show it. I love being out there! I want to enjoy it and I want my playing partners to enjoy it, too. I try to be encouraging and upbeat for them, also.

Back