I agree with the o.p. here. Screw people and having friends. I am here to golf people

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I agree with the o.p. here. Screw people and having friends. I am here to golf people

So the question becomes...

DO I KEEP MY FRIENDS OR MY +1 HANDICAP?

I have to agree. What is said, or what we talk about on the course has no effect on my score. I'm all for talking about things none golf between shots. No big deal for me.

My thoughts? It is more important to me to be socialable and affable than to shoot low scores. To each his own.

So the question becomes...

DO I KEEP MY FRIENDS OR MY +1 HANDICAP?

Hahaha....good thing he doesnt play folf with his wife. I wonder if he has seen the sock thread

life's too short to not interact with people. talking while someone hitting is one thing and just poor etiquette, but not talking to someone at all so he can "focus" is just dumb. Its not like we are playing for the freaking Masters.

I agree with the o.p. here. Screw people and having friends. I am here to golf people. i walk. dont talk. i listen to tunes with forged headphones.

........lol

I can be either talkative or quiet, just depends on my mood. I'm not much of a conversationalist with people I have just met, but if they ask me a question, I'll answer it, usually with minimal information. If I'm playing with guys I've known a while, then we mostly talk golf and bust balls, you know, guy stuff.

Heck I love to have a good time on the course. I'm always joking around. I like to talk in between shots. Makes a long round of being quiet. I also talk to my golf clubs. Calling my ball a "C" and telling my self not to be a dumby stupid... Those that have played golf with me know that this is true...

I think you have all been trolled.

Heck I love to have a good time on the course. I'm always joking around. I like to talk in between shots. Makes a long round of being quiet. I also talk to my golf clubs. Calling my ball a "C" and telling my self not to be a dumby stupid... Those that have played golf with me know that this is true...

and you really love talking to your headcovers

I may have come off wrong here. I like to talk too, I am a nice guy. I just get tired of the guy who never stops talking. Or needs to let me know his place in life, or needing to know mine. I love talking as we go along, just not all the time.
And when with my friends and family we trash talk it up big time.
Im not too social with strangers but I do and like talking with them, some.
How do I get these rope burns off my neck?

Well that is understandable, We have all been with the person who won't shut up, even during your swing.

As slow as I talk I can't shut up, I'd never finish a sentence.

To each his own. If I run into a talker I just start shutting it down and he gets the picture. But That is very seldom that I have to do that. You are not going to jive ith everyone all the time. But you also never know who you might meet on the course and what they may to offer to enhance your life. But if your life is complete and can't use some new stuff, have it.

I get it now. You're paired with Carrot Top, your game goes out the window.

Be nice. I bruise like a peach.

I couldn't be meaning you. You were never near enough to the fairway for me to hear you talk.

:wink:

Played a 2 man scramble money tournament last year (actually heading down to Austin to play it again this weekend), and we were paired in the final group on Sunday with a brother team that played golf at North Texas. We weren't trying to talk with them per say, but more so made comments like, "nice shot", "nice putt", "good shot", etc. I guess you would call it being cordial. These guys would not respond to any remarks...not even a head bob to acknowledge us. It was weird and frustrating at the same time. We stopped making "good shot" comments to them half way through the round and it was super tense the rest of the way. Even in competition, not a fun way to play.

strange you must be use to playing with yourself

I love friendly bantering on the course so long as they don't talk during my swing/putting. Otherwise I joke around all the time with the guys I play with. It keeps me from thinking about the last bad shot and keeps me focused on what I need to do.
Exactly....golf should be fun, even if you get paired with new folks. That's how you make new friends...meeting strangers.

I may have come off wrong here. I like to talk too, I am a nice guy. I just get tired of the guy who never stops talking. Or needs to let me know his place in life, or needing to know mine. I love talking as we go along, just not all the time.

Cougs, I hear ya. I think the people here care, it is a social site - that if I'm ever up visiting OSU (go Pac 12!) I could find a game with another THPer. When you start a thread titled "I don't care," the title itself influences the perception. I for one, apologize if it felt like my comments were too harsh.

...although Cougar in Beaverton?

Nah you're fine dude. People around here are very social and like to chat. I'm sure if you played with a THP'er or someone other than a total stranger you'd be more than courteous on the golf course. I'm somewhere in the middle, I don't really chat it up too much where we're telling everything about ourselves etc but I also don't completely shy away from conversation either. I like to be polite and compliment their good shots and such but I generally won't go too deep about what they do for a living unless they ask me first. I'm definitely not as outgoing with a stranger on the course as I am with buddies or guys from Men's Club.

Two of my more memorable rounds.

One got paired with three other singles, starter introduces us to one another on first tee, cordial greetings but minimal talk as expected from four strangers on first tee. Seven holes in and there has only been an occasional nice shot spoken by anyone, having a decent round and thinking these are three of the quietest guys I have met. Around the 12th one of the guys is having blow up holes and things are clearly getting tense, by the 15th all etiquette has left the group no one is saying a word and everyone is walking as soon as they hit regardless of where anyone else is. On the 17th green two of the three walk over others lines and putt with out regard to what others are doing, one walks right in front of me in the middle of my putting stroke on his way to the next tee. On the 18th tee one slings his bag over his shoulder right behind me as I am at the top of my backswing, huge slice right into the lake and I am pissed. Two of them are already fifty yards out in front of me as i retee (course has ob stakes running down waters edge) and I'm telling them to go on ahead and I will finish out by myself they then turn and tell me to hit as they look at me like I'm a total jerk. One of the better scoring rounds I had on that course but one of the worst times I have had on a golf course, no clue what there problem was, the one guy who was decent through out it all waited for me at 18th green shook my hand and thanked me for the round the other two were long gone. Don't expect constant conversation but at least be civil and employ some etiquette while playing, to me this would mean not putting headphones on to avoid minimal conversation with your playing partners.

One of my more memorable rounds was an end of season last chance round at my favorite par three course as we were moving out of state that winter. Teed off by myself and caught groups on the third hole, on the fourth tee two ladies caught me and I suggest we finish out together as the course was backed up the rest of the way. Two holes later I'm thinking what the h3!! did I get myself into? They clearly had some issues, won't go into detail but not talking golfing ability, they were hitting balls in every direction but we're on a par three so I am ok with their skill level. We then stand around and start talking as the course has come to a standstill, they loosen up a little and start talking to me. The final four holes we had a great time and it was one of the most enjoyable times I have had playing. I think of them as the crazy ladies and wish I could get paired up with people like them more often, clearly their only priority was to have a good time.

Just don't see the point of playing if you feel the need to avoid all conversation while playing, maybe another sport would suit the OP better.

I could care less what people want to do, talk., don't talk, sing the frikken chorus to Oklahoma, do whatever floats your boat and makes golf fun for you.

Played with a deaf guy awhile back. That was probably one of the most fun rounds I've ever had. It was like playing a round by myself but I wasn't. I could listen to my music and still not be a jerk to him. He was surprised I knew ASL so we were able to "talk" about our round and general BS.

Pretty cool day.

Back