I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or happy about this...

golfaddict77

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
So I just bought a new Callaway Apex UW in 19°. The package arrived today, I get home from work and open it. Take off the plastic, get the club in the address position, and it doesn't look like 19 degrees. So I put it on my spec gauge and sure enough, it's only got 17 degrees of loft (nice quality control, Callaway). On the one hand, I'm ticked that it won't gap properly with my 16° 3 wood that I was planning on pairing with it. On the other hand, at 17 degrees this thing might be strong enough to be the longest club in my bag aside from driver, so I might not even need the 3 wood. It could be a super easy to hit 3 wood replacement. Either way, I'm still bummed that I didn't really get what I ordered, but I don't feel like returning the dang thing. So, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow (well, technically today I guess since it's after midnight) and just see what it can do. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. :unsure:

What gauge are you using and where on the face? Curious with the bulge and roll.

I figured a while ago, if I wanted laser measured tight specs, I need to be on tour. Otherwise, I'm just playing with what they send me after I buy it.

If you have an issue, reach out to Callaway.

I would definitely make the call, then at the very least have someone else like PGASS or a golf shop measure it

Have you measured your 16? Maybe it's really 14, in which case you are all set

I'm with the others - 1) measure the others to see if they are all that way based upon how you're measuring and 2) reach out to Callaway for support if you want to exchange it for another one, if that's the play for you here.

Is it stamped 19* loft on the hosel?

Yep, I’d have someone else check it because they don’t typically move that far. But then, if still a concern, just call, they’ll make it right.

Yep, I’d have someone else check it because they don’t typically move that far. But then, if still a concern, just call, they’ll make it right.
Kinda my thoughts, seems like a pretty big swing on degree of the face for a UW.

Kinda my thoughts, seems like a pretty big swing on degree of the face for a UW.
I had to work really really hard to get a 17 that was at 16, so sometimes double checking is worth it for sure, it’s like loft and lie, it can vary based on what machine you’re using to measure for sure

Look what loft jacking has done!

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

*Disclaimer: this is a joke

What gauge are you using and where on the face? Curious with the bulge and roll.
gw1040__55207.jpg
I have this gauge. Loft was measured in the vertical center of the face, right in the center of the radius. I positioned the club so that the face was square. I'm telling ya, it's 17 degrees. This ain't my first rodeo.

Look what loft jacking has done!

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

*Disclaimer: this is a joke
This is more like vanity lofting, except backwards. :p I would much rather it was out of spec a degree or two on the weak side. If only I could get a 19° that was actually 21°, I'd be set.

Loft is only part of the equation, so it still might gap just fine distance wise with your 3w....but another vote to reach out to Callaway. Never had a bad experience with needing to contact them.

Have you measured your 16? Maybe it's really 14, in which case you are all set
Just checked the 3 wood, it's dead nuts 16°. I do have a 14° mini driver, so that combo could work. I'd like more versatility in the 3 wood slot, though.

That's pretty impressive you can see something is 2 degrees off by just looking at it - not even hitting it first.

That's pretty impressive you can see something is 2 degrees off by just looking at it - not even hitting it first.
Not really. I expected it to kinda look like a 5 wood at address, and it looked more like a 3 wood to me, loft wise. It just didn't appear to have much loft on it.

If I decide to call Callaway, does it matter where I bought the club? I ordered it from Carl's Golfland. I'm wondering if I should just call Carl's instead? Also, it's not the new 2024 model. It's the model that came out a few years ago, if that makes a difference.

If I decide to call Callaway, does it matter where I bought the club? I ordered it from Carl's Golfland. I'm wondering if I should just call Carl's instead? Also, it's not the new 2024 model. It's the model that came out a few years ago, if that makes a difference.
I would call Carls then. Used club, someone may or may not have tinkered with it, not really a Callaway issue at this point.

I would call Carls then. Used club, someone may or may not have tinkered with it, not really a Callaway issue at this point.
It's brand new, not a used club. So any and all factory warranties will apply. So, I guess I'll call Callaway and see what they have to say.

Customer Service is there for exactly these types of reasons. Get in touch with them, they will fix you up!

Don't blame Callaway if you aren't buying direct from them. Thats like blaming McDonalds for your Whopper being made wrong.

It's brand new, not a used club. So any and all factory warranties will apply. So, I guess I'll call Callaway and see what they have to say.
Ah ok, I assumed it was a used one. Def reach out to Callaway Customer Service, they are superb to deal with.

Ah ok, I assumed it was a used one. Def reach out to Callaway Customer Service, they are superb to deal with.
Been trying to get in touch with Callaway this morning, but they're busy and I don't have time to sit on hold all day. Just got off the phone with Carl's and the only option there is to return it, but I kinda want to try it at 17°. If I hit it at all then I can't return it to Carl's. It's quite the catch 22 I've got going on. I'll try Callaway again this PM and see if I have better luck.

Back