I'm thinking of trying two gloves

julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying two gloves...are there any great reasons why I shouldn't? I get callouses right under where my fingers meet my hand on my right hand, particularly when it's hot and my hands are moist. It got so bad yesterday that I started shanking all my shots there at the end.

Everyone says lighten my grip, and I'm trying really hard to, I swear it's the lightest I can get it, but I'm just starting to wonder if a second glove is something I should try.

Only reason I can think of to NOT use two gloves is that now you'll have two white hands, or have to remember to take both gloves off so they get some sun! I actually remmbered to take my glove off in between every shot. I hate white hand syndrome.

It's not so much lightening your grip has holding the club with the fingers of the right hand, sort of across the inside of the lowest knuckle.

The picture is right in the Ben Hogan book. I have the book but not a scanner at home. However, I know someone who does and who likes to be helpful, so maybe you'll be able to see what I mean.

It's not so much lightening your grip has holding the club with the fingers of the right hand, sort of across the inside of the lowest knuckle.

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm doing, the callouses are always right at the bottom of my fingers.

Only reason I can think of to NOT use two gloves is that now you'll have two white hands, or have to remember to take both gloves off so they get some sun! I actually remmbered to take my glove off in between every shot. I hate white hand syndrome.

Much easier way of doing it.Just don't wear a glove at all :golf:

I get a callous on my right ring finger I put some tape on it. You should do whatever you want to make yourself comfortable and get your game better.

I play with two gloves all the time. In the summer time I wear them to protect my hands from the sun. I also golf in long sleeve shirts in the summer time for the same reason. If you spend a lot of time out of doors, in sunny climates, once you get past your mid 30s in age, you don't want to take a chance of dealing with some sort of skin cancer. In the winter time I wear two gloves for warmth, plus it is still pretty sunny in the desert southwest year around.

I have been told that callouses at the bottom of the fingers are caused by the club's grip twisting in the golfer's hand(s). :comp:

The picture is right in the Ben Hogan book. I have the book but not a scanner at home. However, I know someone who does and who likes to be helpful, so maybe you'll be able to see what I mean.

I assume you've got a copy of Five Lessons. It is an essential, something of the Elements of Style for golf. Anyway, in case you don't, here's an illustration of the position of the glove-hand, leading hand grip (left, for righties):

Hogan-LeftHandGrip.jpg

Here's a nice photograph in which he demonstrates the key pressure points for that hand:

Golfperfect-FofHleftgrip.jpg

(I couldn't find his illustration of the right!)

I'm far from a golf instructor, so I shouldn't attempt to answer your question, at all. But from my reading and listening to those who are, I believe it is generally understood that the thing wrong with wearing gloves at all is they reduce feel in the swing. That is true with one as well; but people wear one to minimize slippage from sweaty palms as well as uncomfortable blisters (if you do not play ofen enough to generate calluses, or do not want calluses). I don't think there is anything innately wrong about wearing a second, other than the claimed additional loss of feel that comes with doing so. But if you have a sweaty or tender hands issue, from what I've heard, the trade off may be better than sliding all over the grip through the swing or making your palms unusable for hand modeling. That said, many golfers would wear no glove if they could get away with it, and indeed, many golfers do wear none (Freddy Couples comes to mind).

Seems like Andy ought to be the one responding, but certainly not WSE!

However, you got that diagram up first--it's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

A pro I've worked with a lot always says your grip should make it comfortable to hold the club up at a 45 degree angle (between one and two o'clock). 90 degrees (three o'clock) is too tight.

i have a buddy who uses 2 gloves.....rain gloves at that......all the time, because he did well with them once....of course he truly has OCD and he can't help it.....but...well you know. go for it.

I wear two gloves during the winter and it really doesn't affect my swing. When I first started I had the same problem with blisters and needed two gloves in order to get through 18! And playing two days in a row, not going to happen. What I found out was that it wasn't my grip as in my hand placement, but the size of my grip. Women's clubs tend to have much smaller grips, maybe you should have your grip size measured. It isn't a big deal to build up under a grip and it saved my hands.

If it were me, I would try a couple of different kinds of grips before doing this. I would think that a new grip could change the issues. IMHO I would not want to sacrifice the feel I would lose with 2 gloves. Heck, I would hate to not even wear one, but slippery hands make that impossible after about hole 2-3.

I wear two gloves during the winter and it really doesn't affect my swing. When I first started I had the same problem with blisters and needed two gloves in order to get through 18! And playing two days in a row, not going to happen. What I found out was that it wasn't my grip as in my hand placement, but the size of my grip. Women's clubs tend to have much smaller grips, maybe you should have your grip size measured. It isn't a big deal to build up under a grip and it saved my hands.

that is such a great idea Sox. I was just telling JB today when we were out on the course that my hands were hurting and that I was getting blisters. I thought it was because I was gripping the club too hard too and he suggested the same thing as you that maybe I should get them re-gripped. So thicker grips worked for you?

Yeah, my initial clubs were a women's starter set. I have since had my swing speed measured and now play with men's regular clubs, but I get those built up just a little too. Since switching to the correct size grips I have not had a single blister and they used to be bad. The grips on women's clubs are really small. It takes about two seconds to measure your hand for the correct grip size, plus it gives you an excuse to get new grips! I had all of mine done with the Winn grips for breast cancer:

H5FRD9WMG8MEGKH9EQKB_L.jpg

Love Winn Grips.

I had all of mine done with the Winn grips for breast cancer:

H5FRD9WMG8MEGKH9EQKB_L.jpg

I regripped all of my wifes clubs with those including her putter. Funny thing is I picked up her irons used & actually spent more on the grips for them than the irons themselves.

Those grips are nice, they came on the women's set I won from the charity raffle. Makes me want to regrip all of my clubs too.

Sounds to me like the problem is how you grip the club, Julie. Sounds you are gripping it too much with your palm and not enough with your fingers.

Sounds to me like the problem is how you grip the club, Julie. Sounds you are gripping it too much with your palm and not enough with your fingers.

Well....are you sure you're picturing that right? The problem is with my right hand, and I'm right handed, so that palm is over top.

This may help Julie, I had the book in my backpack, so I scanned in the pages that explain what Bake's trying to.

It's a 2meg file, shoot me an email, or PM with your email, and I'll send it to you directly.

This may help Julie, I had the book in my backpack, so I scanned in the pages that explain what Bake's trying to.

It's a 2meg file, shoot me an email, or PM with your email, and I'll send it to you directly.

Actually, I have a paperback copy of the book. Which illustration/paragraph are you looking at? (I've been scanning it though I haven't read it word for word.)

I've been waiting two days and two pages for someone else to do this, but I guess I'm just going to have to do it myself.

I'm thinking of trying two gloves

tommy_gainey_nl.jpg

:quiet:

I've been waiting two days and two pages for someone else to do this, but I guess I'm just going to have to do it myself.
:quiet:

Hey, I'll take his talent and purses, without hesitation.*

*Has he won purses? At lower levels at least, I'm sure.

Well....are you sure you're picturing that right? The problem is with my right hand, and I'm right handed, so that palm is over top.
That shouldnt matter...

Back