Increased swing speed

Any good drills/practice aids to help improve my swing speed? It is very low right now, and I would like to improve it and hopefully see my driver distance increase some. Thanks in advance.

I actually give clinics on swing speed training. :)

There's 3 major types of training aids that are good for swing speed training...over speed, heavy, and wind resistance.

Working with training aids and practicing swinging fast is a good start, but the speed returns will cap out. Adding fast-twitch strength (particularly downswing strength) is important too.

There's also sports supplements, band isometrics, isokinetics, ballistic weight training, shadow reps, visualization, tempo drills, etc...stuff like that.

12-16 mph in a month is pretty easy with a bit of work. Got a number of more dedicated clients who have gotten 20 to +30 mph over several months.

More info at my Swing Man Golf site.

Turn your driver upside down and swing a few times, try to make the swooshing sound louder, then turn it the right way and swing with that same feeling

I still think this is the best advice, it's cheap and effective, I use it all the time

I have been wondering about this myself. How much of swing speed is muscle and how much of it is technique? Also, SS doesn't seem to equal distance as Rory hits it farther than Tiger, but has a slower SS.

If you have an iOS device the nike golf app (free) has a whole bunch of videos/workouts to help

I have been wondering about this myself. How much of swing speed is muscle and how much of it is technique? Also, SS doesn't seem to equal distance as Rory hits it farther than Tiger, but has a slower SS.

Might be launch angle.

Might be launch angle.

It is.. Tiger has always had a slighty downward attack on his driver. I believe he said he was able to do more things with the ball that way. From what I understand, with the help of trackman, etc. he is working on that, but it's a work in progress.

Something I did that gave me more distance with all of my clubs is I started working with a medicine ball. Stand about 4 or 5 feet away from a wall ,take your regular stance holding the ball in your hands like a club, make a 3/4 backswing and throw the ball at the wall, catch it and repeat. Do this 3 or 4 minutes a day and I guarantee you that in a few weeks you will see a difference.

Something I did that gave me more distance with all of my clubs is I started working with a medicine ball. Stand about 4 or 5 feet away from a wall ,take your regular stance holding the ball in your hands like a club, make a 3/4 backswing and throw the ball at the wall, catch it and repeat. Do this 3 or 4 minutes a day and I guarantee you that in a few weeks you will see a difference.

I are you saying to try to bounce it off the wall, or catch it before it hits the wall?

To be able to have a higher swingspeed, one must be able to separate the top and bottom halves of their body. If I really need to go after one, I widen my stance to stay more grounded and just let my body fly.

I'm probably wrong on this, but I really think the limiting factor is muscle (as long as you throw flexibility in with that). That's going to determine how fast you can get the club around and sets a maximum possible speed for you. Technique is going to determine how CLOSE to that possible maximum you get. So you get some big, big bruisers out there who don't really hit it that far, but every now and then they unleash a monster when the stars align for them. And that then becomes their Internet Average Drive.

So, if I've got to put numbers on it....2/3 muscle, 1/3 technique.

I'm probably wrong on this, but I really think the limiting factor is muscle (as long as you throw flexibility in with that). That's going to determine how fast you can get the club around and sets a maximum possible speed for you. Technique is going to determine how CLOSE to that possible maximum you get. So you get some big, big bruisers out there who don't really hit it that far, but every now and then they unleash a monster when the stars align for them. And that then becomes their Internet Average Drive.

I kinda see it the other way. The pros are, for the most part, NOT big guys or gals. The fact that they hit the sweet spot almost ALL the time gives them a huge advantage over us. That plus flexibility gives them increased SS and transfers it to the ball much more efficiently resulting in their long, long drives and irons. Look at Rory. Only 170lbs. but great technique with fabulous flexibility and balance gives him towering, long drives and long high irons.

I've done a lot of research on this (and published it)...
The determining factors of clubhead speed are:
1. Good coordination in the biokinetic chain (google it if it's a new term). This means that muscular effort flows upwards and outwards from the legs, through the hips, trunk, shoulders and finally arms. In that order.... It doesn't demand a lot of strength or effort - just correct timing. Imagine unscrewing a corkscrew starting at the feet.
2. Minimising resistance to this (rotational) muscular effort. This means keeping the initial downswing radius small. We do this by keeping the clubhead close to the body during the first half of the downswing. Think of 'wrapping the club around your body'.
3. A passive wrist release. This means we allow the wrists to unhinge 'when they want' - we don't make it happen. This ensures that the powerful mechanics of the 'double pendulum' (google it if its a new term) are allowed to operate unhindered. Think - 'loose wrists....'
Put those three together and you have it!
Hope this helps...

Catch it after it bounces off of the wall. It is a great core workout. That is where you get most of your power from.

core work is key to increased SS, but using the big muscle is also key.

I'd say more technique than muscle.

I kinda see it the other way. The pros are, for the most part, NOT big guys or gals. The fact that they hit the sweet spot almost ALL the time gives them a huge advantage over us. That plus flexibility gives them increased SS and transfers it to the ball much more efficiently resulting in their long, long drives and irons. Look at Rory. Only 170lbs. but great technique with fabulous flexibility and balance gives him towering, long drives and long high irons.
ding ding, RM has mastered the art of driving his legs through the shots and the exact right moment to maximize his distance. TW misses that moment 25% of the time and his distances are off as a result.

Catch it after it bounces off of the wall. It is a great core workout. That is where you get most of your power from.

Thanks.

I have to agree with technique as the most important. Good health/strength is important too, but I think more for stamina and to be able to use the correct technique.

When I used to play a lot, I hit my 7 iron 145-150 consistently. After 10+ years off, the 7 iron was more like 130, regardless of blades or my Redlines which is more like a 6 iron compared to the Mizzunos. After 2.5 month of lessons and a new swing focused on correct path and release, my 7 iron is now my 165-170 club. Only difference is better technique. I have not added muscle or weight, in fact I have dropped 14lbs during this time.

I have to agree with technique as the most important. Good health/strength is important too, but I think more for stamina and to be able to use the correct technique.

When I used to play a lot, I hit my 7 iron 145-150 consistently. After 10+ years off, the 7 iron was more like 130, regardless of blades or my Redlines which is more like a 6 iron compared to the Mizzunos. After 2.5 month of lessons and a new swing focused on correct path and release, my 7 iron is now my 165-170 club. Only difference is better technique. I have not added muscle or weight, in fact I have dropped 14lbs during this time.

Were you taking lessons in a sauna to drop 14lbs...:)

That's fair enough, and I could flip the percentages to make technique the primary component. "Muscle" may be the wrong term, certainly not all pros are brutes...but for raw distance, I look at the long drive guys. No, not all of them are monsters, but the majority are certainly larger than the average bear.

That's fair enough, and I could flip the percentages to make technique the primary component. "Muscle" may be the wrong term, certainly not all pros are brutes...but for raw distance, I look at the long drive guys. No, not all of them are monsters, but the majority are certainly larger than the average bear.

I can easily see your point. They use their muscles much more efficiently for the golf swing than we do. I consider myself a little bit bigger than the average guy. I'm 6' 1" and 245. But, even though I'm bigger than the average pro golfer, I'm limited by my technique and talent as far as distant goes. I'll never be able to average anywhere near what the pros average in driver or iron distance. And, I never was able even in my prime!

Technique, talent and a huge commitment of practice to hone their muscles for the golf swing.

I can easily see your point. They use their muscles much more efficiently for the golf swing than we do. I consider myself a little bit bigger than the average guy. I'm 6' 1" and 245. But, even though I'm bigger than the average pro golfer, I'm limited by my technique and talent as far as distant goes. I'll never be able to average anywhere near what the pros average in driver or iron distance. And, I never was able even in my prime!

Technique, talent and a huge commitment of practice to hone their muscles for the golf swing.

Take into account that fine tunes gear comes into ply as well. Most pros don't hit it 300 plus. It's an elite field that is that long. You done have to big to hit long you just need to know how to deliver the club into the ball. You can still maximize your distance, I promise you that. I'm longer at 42 then I was at 30.

Were you taking lessons in a sauna to drop 14lbs...:)

Ha Ha.:act-up: Hitting balls in TX in August and Sept certainly feels like hitting in a sauna.

I should have mentioned that I dropped the weight due to exercising and changing my diet to get back in shape.

If you wanna hit it farther
1. Stetch everyday
2. Force yourself to relax. Watch guys like Adam Scott and Rory McIllroy hit teh ball. There is a lot going on there but if you notice things like there wrists and shoulders they are loosey goosey.
3. Dont think swing muscular think swinging a light object like a wiffle ball bat.
Those were the best bits of advice Ive ever gotten.

Back