Earl553

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wanted to ask whether here are others who try to build/keep their fitness through indoor rowing?
I own a Concept2 Model D indoor since 2 years. However, I was a bit lazy the last month and just recently re-found my love for working out on that machine. Very motivating too as I see quite some endurance and power gains that will hopefully transfer to my Golf game next season.
So, anyone else here who even might be up to some regular indoor rowing practice and exchange? If you own a Concept2 with PM5 we could even discuss to establish a THP team.

Those are great machines. My son used one when he rowed competitively and took it with him., He still uses it occasionally

Just wanted to ask whether here are others who try to build/keep their fitness through indoor rowing?
I own a Concept2 Model D indoor since 2 years. However, I was a bit lazy the last month and just recently re-found my love for working out on that machine. Very motivating too as I see quite some endurance and power gains that will hopefully transfer to my Golf game next season.
So, anyone else here who even might be up to some regular indoor rowing practice and exchange? If you own a Concept2 with PM5 we could even discuss to establish a THP team.

I own and actually use a Concept2 PM5. Have had it for more than 2 yrs and use it with a heart rate monitor.

I don't own a rowing machine myself, but I warm up on a Concept2 at my gym on weight days. I love that thing.

I'm thinking of, once I get the man cave and rest of the basement in order, dropping the gym membership and adding the couple things I'd need to have a complete setup at home. One of those things would be a cardio machine, and I'm thinking it'll be a Concept2.

I own a rowing machine, but it's only worth a couple hundred dollars, definitely not a fancy one.

Love the idea of a thread that pops up daily so I can remind myself to stop ignoring it. I want to improve my fitness but can never seem to stick with anything long term.

I have used one pretty regularly in the gym and it is an awesome workout. It can be a torture machine but for a 20 minute all body workout they can be tough to beat. We have a bike at home as my wife will use that and she doesn't like the rowing machine. We also have an elliptical that nobody uses now. I may have to try to sell the elliptical and pick up a rowing machine.

I own a rowing machine, but it's only worth a couple hundred dollars, definitely not a fancy one.

Love the idea of a thread that pops up daily so I can remind myself to stop ignoring it. I want to improve my fitness but can never seem to stick with anything long term.

I found a long time ago that one doesn't use inexpensive machines often, but one uses expensive machines more often - they are smoother, more enjoyable and you get more out of them. And in your mind, you must justify the cost :) Thus the Concept 2 and the Air Assault Indoor Bike in a third bedroom.

Wow. Quite a bit attention. Wasn‘t expect that amount of feedback on this niche topic in such a short amount of time :)

@Desmond what kind of trainings do you exercise regularly? Do you participate in a team or do you use some sort of competition software (e.g. RowPro)?

Did a 2k pacing today. Could have gone a bit faster but finished at 7:51,4 - quite ok given that I‘ve gotten back into the seat 2 weeks ago after having not rowed since March (and in general not being very fit...).

@Canadan Same here, Motivation is not my strongest game when it comes to rowing. But I will try my best to push this thread a bit if that helps ;)

... And in your mind, you must justify the cost :) ...
Besides tending to buy quality products, I figured that the resale value of Concept2 rowers is exceptionally high. If I would have to sell it for whatever reason I wouldn’t have lost a lot of money. However, that was just to justify the initial invest ;) I am very convinced that I would not sell it anyways.

Wow. Quite a bit attention. Wasn‘t expect that amount of feedback on this niche topic in such a short amount of time :)

@Desmond what kind of trainings do you exercise regularly? Do you participate in a team or do you use some sort of competition software (e.g. RowPro)?

Did a 2k pacing today. Could have gone a bit faster but finished at 7:51,4 - quite ok given that I‘ve gotten back into the seat 2 weeks ago after having not rowed since March (and in general not being very fit...).

@Canadan Same here, Motivation is not my strongest game when it comes to rowing. But I will try my best to push this thread a bit if that helps ;)

Okay, first I've got to tell you that I am 65 yr old - so no team or comp. Those days, along with half-marathons, are done. I do HITT training, typically 5000 meters and I will do 2 minutes at a leisurely pace, and then one minute at a hellish pace, and circuit it. I use a heart monitor so as not to overdo it. If I have more time, I will keep on going or hop on the Air Assault bike or lift weights. The HITT gives me natural HGH.

Okay, first I've got to tell you that I am 65 yr old - so no team or comp. Those days, along with half-marathons, are done. I do HITT training, typically 5000 meters and I will do 2 minutes at a leisurely pace, and then one minute at a hellish pace, and circuit it. I use a heart monitor so as not to overdo it. If I have more time, I will keep on going or hop on the Air Assault bike or lift weights. The HITT gives me natural HGH.
Ok, I am doing that rowing session tomorrow. How many times do you repeat it.

... typically 5000 meters and I will do 2 minutes at a leisurely pace, and then one minute at a hellish pace, and circuit it. ...
Sounds great. Would you give us a few more details? What’s your typical pace (hellish and leisure) and where is the wheel leveler set? As @annsguy I‘d like to re-row it as well :)

Sounds great. Would you give us a few more details? What’s your typical pace (hellish and leisure) and where is the wheel leveler set? As @annsguy I‘d like to re-row it as well :)

By circuit, I mean do what my heart can take for 1 minute, then a 2 minute leisurely pace, then 1 minute again. You don't want to go that slow... lol. I do watch my form so it is correct. Form slows us all down :cool:

I found a long time ago that one doesn't use inexpensive machines often, but one uses expensive machines more often - they are smoother, more enjoyable and you get more out of them. And in your mind, you must justify the cost :) Thus the Concept 2 and the Air Assault Indoor Bike in a third bedroom.
I actually really like our unit, and I work out of the house so you'd think it wouldn't be a problem.

No doubt the Concept is unreal, and I pondered it for a while, but decided to check my commitment with a cheaper unit first before going big.

I actually really like our unit, and I work out of the house so you'd think it wouldn't be a problem.

No doubt the Concept is unreal, and I pondered it for a while, but decided to check my commitment with a cheaper unit first before going big.

I remember when we all discussed this on THP and your concerns then. I'm glad to hear your decision worked out for you.

I remember when we all discussed this on THP and your concerns then. I'm glad to hear your decision worked out for you.
It did, thanks!

I'm a bit spotty on my efforts and usually golf season gets in the way, but every winter I look at it as an opportunity to build up some endurance so I feel like it's not getting in the way. Will be regularly using this thread as motivation.

I mentioned this on the 2021 fitness goal thread but my wife and I just got a Proform Rower at Costco $399. SO far I love it, Doing 30 minutes a day and it seems like a good workout. Using it everyday and really enjoy it!

By circuit, I mean do what my heart can take for 1 minute, then a 2 minute leisurely pace, then 1 minute again.
That's actually more correctly known as interval training and, if your intense intervals get you up to 95-100% of maximum heart rate (MHR), it's high-intensity interval training (HIIT). That's the way I'd been doing cardio for at least ten years, before Covid-19 kicked me out of the gym.

HIIT is fun, and a lot less boring than picking a sustainable pace and doing that the whole time, IMO. To make it more interesting, I've always done it on three machines: Treadmill, elliptical, and upright stationary bike. Ten minutes each.

I once told my GP how high I was getting my heart rate and she freaked out
lol.gif

That's actually more correctly known as interval training and, if your intense intervals get you up to 95-100% of maximum heart rate (MHR), it's high-intensity interval training (HIIT). That's the way I'd been doing cardio for at least ten years, before Covid-19 kicked me out of the gym.

HIIT is fun, and a lot less boring than picking a sustainable pace and doing that the whole time, IMO. To make it more interesting, I've always done it on three machines: Treadmill, elliptical, and upright stationary bike. Ten minutes each.

I once told my GP how high I was getting my heart rate and she freaked out
lol.gif

Yes, I haven't looked up all the acronyms lately - but I do that with all of my cardio - as you said, it relieves the boredom and AirPods are also a must.

Oh, my lever on the Concept is set at 8.

I have a rowing machine but haven’t used it for a while. It’s ok, but fairly basic. Resistance goes up the faster you row, you can’t control it. Joints are screwed so I find rowing a bit tough which is why I’ve switched to the spin bike.

I'm a big fan of using the rowing machine. I haven't been very consistent with it lately but need to get back on. It's a pretty great exercise to hop on, throw a Netflix show on and go. Although I think I should try finding some training videos to see if that helps me stay more focused and benefit from it more.

I was on my WaterRower earlier today. Great machine and a great (almost) full body workout. I use it mainly for cardio but it's awesome that it actually works muscles at the same time.

I was on my WaterRower earlier today. Great machine and a great (almost) full body workout. I use it mainly for cardio but it's awesome that it actually works muscles at the same time.

Just finished the old man 5000 meters. I need to row about 15 minutes in the morning, and 30 minutes late afternoon. That's a goal.

I own one and use it almost daily. Usually row 5k a to start my day. I am also enrolled on Concept2's website, keep me in the loop, would love to do some of the team challenges.

Just finished the old man 5000 meters. I need to row about 15 minutes in the morning, and 30 minutes late afternoon. That's a goal.
Big time respect for Desmond. I did his rowing workout this morning. Butt kicker!!! I go to a Y early in the day. The only equipment left in what used to be our cycle room are two Concept 2s and a spin bike. Hard as hell with a damn mask 😷 on. But a good sweat for those of us with a couple of knee replacements. How knew Des was Jack Lalane.

Had a (not so light) endurance row planned for today so will give a try to the „The @Desmond“ probably on Thursday or Friday.
However, still managed to get quite a bit destroyed today by rowing nearly all 60mins in the 150-160bpm HR.
3DD495A3-CD69-4F9E-90DC-CAC68D4D505B.jpeg
rowed 500m more on 60 mins than last Friday. So at least some progress is noticeable.

Back