Interesting Bubba comments...

AndrewG

Reaction score
Handicap
Just finished his first euro round in Paris, when asked what he thought of the course, the answer was "i love France, Paris is a beautiful city", in a thinly veiled dis of the track... When asked if we'd see him on more global events, as he has a big fan base over here, his answer was that this'll probably be the only one. Scored a +3 73... hmm...

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

Just finished his first euro round in Paris, when asked what he thought of the course, the answer was "i love France, Paris is a beautiful city", in a thinly veiled dis of the track... When asked if we'd see him on more global events, as he has a big fan base over here, his answer was that this'll probably be the only one. Scored a +3 73... hmm...

hahahaha. Great response!

He did comment that he missed home too much, but that did seem like a slight afterthought, and rung a little hollow given that he's been over here for about 2 days! Lost a teeny bit of respect for him after that interview, but he did finish with a double, so was probably smarting a wee bit...

Honest question for our friends across the pond.
We have heard for over a year that honest answers are good answers. And its okay to give responses that are not popular as long as you are asked the question.
See Westwood, IJP, Rory, etc...

I have said for 2 years now that if a US player made the same type of comments on the Euro tour that the fans would not be so "open" about them. I was told that I was wrong and that its just a differing of opinions on how players should be able to speak their minds.

Clearly now, I am starting to believe I was dead on in that regards.

Honest question for our friends across the pond.
We have heard for over a year that honest answers are good answers. And its okay to give responses that are not popular as long as you are asked the question.
See Westwood, IJP, Rory, etc...

I have said for 2 years now that if a US player made the same type of comments on the Euro tour that the fans would not be so "open" about them. I was told that I was wrong and that its just a differing of opinions on how players should be able to speak their minds.

Clearly now, I am starting to believe I was dead on in that regards.

Of course JB, didn't you know that we are either intolerant, uncouth, or uneducated.

He did comment that he missed home too much, but that did seem like a slight afterthought, and rung a little hollow given that he's been over here for about 2 days! Lost a teeny bit of respect for him after that interview, but he did finish with a double, so was probably smarting a wee bit...

Why the loss of respect?

Is this not similar to our Euro Players not playing events in the US.

If Bubba chooses to not play other Euro events then that is his perogative, just like it is Westwoods, McIroy's etc etc

Only that he seems to have made his mind up after on round in one country, that he's not going to play over here again.

jB, on phone sorry, can't quote in replies, but I think honest answers are good, and if he'd said he just didn't enjoy the course, or being over here, then that's fine, but I think it was the deflection in the answer that irked. We're used to all of our politicians not answering direct questions over here, and we hate it!

I don't have strong feelings about the topic tbh, I only posted as you guys probably won't see it over there, and I thought it was an interesting reaction.

Only that he seems to have made his mind up after on round in one country, that he's not going to play over here again.

jB, on phone sorry, can't quote in replies, but I think honest answers are good, and if he'd said he just didn't enjoy the course, or being over here, then that's fine, but I think it was the deflection in the answer that irked. We're used to all of our politicians not answering direct questions over here, and we hate it!

I don't have strong feelings about the topic tbh, I only posted as you guys probably won't see it over there, and I thought it was an interesting reaction.

But he went over and played. Said he did not enjoy himself all that much.
To me this is absolutely no different than what many US fans have been saying for the last 2 years.

I see a major issue with this. It seems as though as I had said for the last 2 years, personal feelings about one's geographical area, mean more than the person saying it.
Its not a knock on you AndrewG. I dont disagree with your sentiment necessarily, but as I pointed out, there is patriotism in the world for everybody to an extent.

Had Lee Westwood come over and shot 80, and after the 1st round said, I prefer the courses back home, you would not have had too many issues with it I dont think.

Why the loss of respect?

Is this not similar to our Euro Players not playing events in the US.

If Bubba chooses to not play other Euro events then that is his perogative, just like it is Westwoods, McIroy's etc etc

:D You writing I think hold more than me...Very nice answer

I think you're 100% right JB. I think its just me and moody sports stars. Pet hate ;)

I think you're 100% right JB. I think its just me and moody sports stars. Pet hate ;)

Like I said, I dont necessarily disagree with you at all.
But it is what it is.
Objectivity in sports is not easy for most out there.

I am personally a big fan of Bubba. I have seen him do several interviews where he seemed to not want to talk to cameras and made some snide remarks. I can see how this will be received negatively in France tho.

I happened to catch the end of Bubba's round and he did not look happy. I saw that interview as well and you could tell he was annoyed. I think too much may be made of his comment or lack there of. If he had come out and said he hated the course and greens were slow, that would have been an international golf incident. Bubba gave what I thought was a diplomatic answer considering his state of mind (of course I am assuming he was distracted by his poor play)

Bubba has always been open and honest to the point that he is criticized for crying after his wins on tour. I like the openess and the emotions on the sleeve that we get 98% of the time. the other 2%...well... he gets a pass from me.

Is anyone else noticing that lovable Bubba has been getting a bit more angry out there? I think this is more a product of Bubba getting some wins under his belt and getting back into that, "I deserve to play well" attitude.

+1 Tadashi, I think that sums it up, thinking back to my last round, I'd have probably used a few choice words if someone had stuck a camera and Mic in my face too...

Maybe I've been too harsh on the fella. I'm a big fan of his, even in dungarees and bare feet :D

Is anyone else noticing that lovable Bubba has been getting a bit more angry out there? I think this is more a product of Bubba getting some wins under his belt and getting back into that, "I deserve to play well" attitude.

I too have noticed this. He's not big into twitter like he was last year. I think the fame may be getting to his head a little or he may be stepping back into the anger he's had in the past. His wife and caddy need to have a little talk with him again.

If Bubba doesn't like a course he won't hold back about it. Maybe that is good too, I've done some work for bad architects and it isn't easy, and the end product usually shows it. Bubba is moody it seems though. I wouldn't take a slight from him as anything other than Bubba being Bubba.

I too have noticed this. He's not big into twitter like he was last year. I think the fame may be getting to his head a little or he may be stepping back into the anger he's had in the past. His wife and caddy need to have a little talk with him again.

With more wins comes more popularity and responsibility. It may be that hes really busy and that contributes to some added stress. You just never know with these guys.

With more wins comes more popularity and responsibility. It may be that hes really busy and that contributes to some added stress. You just never know with these guys.

I agree and to add to this I don't think he's had enough time to fully grieve after losing his dad either and it may be starting to kick in fully that he's gone. That would surely add to things.

I agree and to add to this I don't think he's had enough time to fully grieve after losing his dad either and it may be starting to kick in fully that he's gone. That would surely add to things.

I was just getting to say the same thing. About 6 months after my husband passed, I got very angry and sullen with people. I was short and had absolutely no filter on what I said about anything. I realize now that this was the anger that is part of grieving someone you love. I can only imagine how hard it would be to go through the grief process while also having to be in the spotlight of my profession and with a camera/mic turned on to me.

I followed Bubba last week in Hartford and I can tell you, that even though he was very gracious to the fans and the people at Hartford and a good returning Champion, you could see that he wasn't his normal goofy, peppy self.

I watched him play the last 4 or 5 holes and he wasn't playing paticularly well, didn't seem to be enjoying himself at all and played pretty sloppy on the last couple of holes, so if you stuck a camera and mic in my face right after that, you would probably get those kinda answers too.

I've noticed Bubba looking a bit more aggravated and perhaps, more like Bubba from a few years ago. Maybe he's just going through a funk right now, and there's no way of telling his state of mind from watching him play a few shots. Anyone would think I was a bit moody if they watched a couple of my worst shots today.

Don't have any problems with his choice of tournaments to play, a couple of wins allows him his choice. The one thing I will say is he better get to liking this course if he likes playing Ryder Cup golf!

I mean after shooting a 73, at that moment, of course you are feeling that you don't want to go back. But if next year he feels like he can score that week, maybe he'll give it a shot. After all he loves the city haha

I am personally a big fan of Bubba. I have seen him do several interviews where he seemed to not want to talk to cameras and made some snide remarks. I can see how this will be received negatively in France tho.

Yeah same here I've seen a few interviews with Bubba after a bad round and he seems like he just ways to get away from the media altogether. I can see why it would hit a nerve.

Back