Iron Distance off the Tee vs Iron Distance from the fairway...

golfisforfun

Reaction score
Handicap
I am someone who really sweeps the ball, and have a very consistent game, shooting mid to high 70s, SS of 98mph etc etc...

My biggest miss with my irons is thin, mainly because I sweep the ball.

One thing that is very noticeable in my iron game is the difference I hit my irons off a tee vs off the fairway.

As an example, I can hit my 7 iron almost 165 off the tee, but from the fairway, 165 would be a 6 iron.

Does anyone else have big yardage differences?

If I catch a 7 iron perfect off the fairway, I can still get 165, but because my miss is thin, I tend to take a 6 instead and swing easier, which usually works out just fine.

I'm the same way in the differences in distance because of a similar swing/impact style.

...except I'm not consistent... or in the mid 70's... or swinging 95+... I'm going to go crawl in a hole now...

If you're shooting in the 70s my man you cant be thinning it that much haha I wouldnt worry about changing too much.

I'd say that I have about a 5 yard difference, with more distance coming off the tee. I am the opposite of you and have never swept an iron in my life. I go in steep and my miss is to go too steep and hit fat. All aboout that ball first contact.

Well, like I said, I tend to take more club off the fairway and swing slower to ensure better contact. With a swing like mine, there is nothing better than having the ball sit up in the first cut of rough... Just a nice smooth swing and its like hitting off a tee!

i may have 1/2 club difference between fwy and tee shots. i usually don't take that into account when determining what club to hit.

Is 1/2 a club 3 yards? 5 yards? 7 yards?
If you don't consider it, how do you calculate yardage and pick a club?

i may have 1/2 club difference between fwy and tee shots. i usually don't take that into account when determining what club to hit.

When I tee up an iron, I plan for about 5-10y loss in distance because the club will hit the ball higher on the club face since I have it teed up a little. I generally hit down on the ball with all my irons, so I don't lose too much. I am working on teeing it even lower to try and reduce this.

I have similar distances off the tee and turf for my irons. I can add roughly 10 yards to my 3 and 4 irons by increasing the tee height and moving the ball forward a little to catch it on the upswing, but I only do that when I'm actually trying to hit a certain distance short of a forced carry or dog leg on par 4's.

I have similar distances from tee to turf for all my clubs. I'm sure it mostly comes down to contact as you mention being a sweeper and hitting it thin versus hitting it flush.

I'm pretty much dead on from either the tee or the turf. If anything, I tend to be shorter off a tee, if I'm not careful and tee the ball to high. Too high means high shot for me which often results in a little lose in distance with irons.

I tend to hit my irons lower and longer from the fairway, but not by much.

I tend to hit the ball higher from a tee, but distances are pretty similar - sufficiently that I cannot say that one is longer than another.

I don't know about major distance differences, but I do know that I will almost always hit lower with an iron off the tee than using the same iron on the fairway. Short par 3s give me fits sometimes because of that.

My distance is about the same and my club selection based on distance is the same and it works well for me.

I'm a digger, so bad things happen when I hit an iron from a tee. I catch it really high on the clubface and it goes nowhere, so I rarely even try to hit an iron from a tee.

I usually go down a club (e.g., 6 to 7) if the ball is on a tee or sitting up nicely in the rough.

Chances are you catching the ball fat when its on the ground vs a tee

I see no real difference in distance.

I am digger but I tend to maybe see a five yard increase off the tee. It's not much really

My distance is about the same and my club selection based on distance is the same and it works well for me.

Me too Scrappy, I tee the ball very low for tee shots so it is essentially on the ground but from a perfect lie. If it is any longer off of the tee it is simply because of a perfect lie each time but it is not enough to even factor in for my skill level.

I see about 5 yards more off the tee, maybe. Left or right is where it's different.

No, they're about the same

On my 4i to my 7i shots from the fairway can be about 1/2 to 1 club longer, but that's probably because my ball flight from the tee is generally higher, creating less roll-out. On the short irons and wedges I can't see a difference.

Back