Is Nicklaus relevant anymore?

No doubt. The Wright brothers wouldn't have the slightest clue about an F18. With all the equipment advances, Jack really wasn't playing the same game.
At least they would have thought the F18 was cool as **** and not moaned about it hahaha

I feel Jack being taken for an ass is his adopting a no nonsense attitude when in competition. He was there to win. If he was truly an ass, I doubt he would have conceded to Jacklin in the Ryder Cup. There's a host of his contemporaries who were asses, with Hogan, Johnny Miller and even Sam Snead coming to mind. Snead was pissed about the "Concession" and didn't hold back in the media.
Jack will have the Major record for a while, possibly a long while, and that will be his legacy and relevance.

I feel Jack being taken for an ass is his adopting a no nonsense attitude when in competition. He was there to win. If he was truly an ass, I doubt he would have conceded to Jacklin in the Ryder Cup. There's a host of his contemporaries who were asses, with Hogan, Johnny Miller and even Sam Snead coming to mind. Snead was pissed about the "Concession" and didn't hold back in the media.
Jack will have the Major record for a while, possibly a long while, and that will be his legacy and relevance.
Why is being an asshole excused all the time for the sake of “being a competitor”? I’ve never understood that, and I coached for a living.

Does he? Or did he come up in the game at a time where there was no social media or instant news?

It’s no secret that Jack was an asshole, a notable one. He simply did exactly what Tiger is now, and softened as he aged to try and make that a lesser talked about aspect. Jack hasn’t been Mr. Nice Guy historically, that was The King.

And let’s not forget his views on black players.. he once made a remark in 94 that he thought there were few black players because they had different muscles that react in different ways ..and sure he supposedly tried to clarify.. but to me while that last guy’s post made Jack out to be a saint.. from my perspective Jack had said the quiet part out loud .. and not to mention his good buddies at Augusta that year in year out discriminated against players like Charlie Sifford and Lee Elder..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Jman

Your USGA thread is kind of proving that Jack is still very relevant.. 🤷‍♂️

If he wants to talk about a tournament or his career, sure he's relevant. He sees the game through a players eye.

I do not care for his opinion on the current game of golf, the players "overpowering" courses, or anything else for that matter.

@Jman

Your USGA thread is kind of proving that Jack is still very relevant.. 🤷‍♂️
Jack runs the USGA? I knew Wahn was acting like a puppet with a hand….nevermind.

Jack runs the USGA? I knew Wahn was acting like a puppet with a hand….nevermind.
I think his influence there is titanic..

If he wants to talk about a tournament or his career, sure he's relevant. He sees the game through a players eye.

I do not care for his opinion on the current game of golf, the players "overpowering" courses, or anything else for that matter.
Does he no longer have a hand in designing and modifying courses, some of which feature on Tour?

Oh, I laughed.

Bad course designs don’t make him relevant imo.
I’ve never noticed a problem, so I’d have to agree with that from my perspective. Would think that’s an argument for many others. I’ve never been a huge Jack fan and really don’t hear from him outside of short interviews during his tournaments, which I enjoy.

Does he no longer have a hand in designing and modifying courses, some of which feature on Tour?
He is or was being sued by his own course design company, so maybe he doesn't have a say anymore, except for maybe Muirfield Village.

In my opinion, designing a course that can be played on tour is vastly different from an opinion on distance.

I grew up in the era of Nicklaus ... In 1968, still might have been the Dallas Open, I was there for the last two rounds -- the last round was between Arnie and Jack ... the crowd was for Arnie. But Arnie hit a shot into the bunker, and it may have been a playoff and Jack won.

Jack was not loved, if memory serves, but one admired his accomplishments.

As to influence, to the extent that he influences golf rules and design, he and his company are still relevant.

But Arnie was the beloved of the people ... Jack, not so much.
I’m slightly younger but I can remember
the days when Jack had clearly established himself as the best golfer at the expense of Arnie, the people’s champion then and forever. He was referred to by many as Fat Jack back then. Beloved and Jack Nicklaus are probably not words used together quite often. I think Jack’s 86 Masters victory has had an effect on how he is perceived to this day. He was never well liked but that win made him so much more likable going forward, in my opinion.

7 pages of comments probably makes him at least somewhat relevant even if half of those were people in one generation blaming the world’s problems on another.

If he decided he’s had enough, and stepped back from golf entirely (no appearances, interviews, course designs etc..). What would be the net result to the game? I think that could be a good answer to the question. My guess would be very little.

The same could probably said about Tiger.

Why is being an asshole excused all the time for the sake of “being a competitor”? I’ve never understood that, and I coached for a living.
It's natural to look out for #1...if people think that's the sign of an asshole, so be it. When push comes to shove, it's just you. Someone will always try to undercut or out maneuver you, it's just human nature.

I think there are degrees of a**holes...and there is even some good in them, because sometimes a**holes are necessary for the good order of things. Someone like Jack is a good leaning type of asshole...he respects the rules and the spirit of competion he would call a penalty on himself, to his detriment. Then you have the Gary Player type of asshole, or a Patrick Reed. In the middle, you have the type of a**holes like Rory...
Tiger was an asshole because of the pressure his father put on him.

It has been well noted that Jack was an ass for decades, that’s not confidence, that’s being an ass.
I have known an older doctor who grew up on Scioto, knew Jack but wasn't a buddy and spoke well of him . i worked for a guy who had been Arnolds CFO for Peerless Golf who said terrible things about The King. if you don't have personal experience then it's all opinion and heresy.

I think he’s irrelevant commenting on the modern game.

He makes overrated courses and yells at the sky all day about distance, when distance is a big part of what made him who he was in his day.
It feels like you just don't like Jack.

So if winning the most titles means the greatest, why would Bill Russell not be in the conversation?
But legitimately pick any super star in any sport from more than 4 decades ago and it would hard to find complete relevancy.

And not being relevant across the board does not tarnish ones accomplishments.
In my mind Russell is deeply in the conversation. Not only for his record but for his stance on human rights in a time when certain groups didn't have them. That has insured his relevance beyond his lifetime.

Relevant now, somewhat. It's interesting that no one ever says they want to swing like Jack (even years ago) and not many have cared to analyze his swing. Kind of surprising considering the amount of majors he has won.

Last edited:
I have known an older doctor who grew up on Scioto, knew Jack but wasn't a buddy and spoke well of him . i worked for a guy who had been Arnolds CFO for Peerless Golf who said terrible things about The King. if you don't have personal experience then it's all opinion and heresy.
I know a guy who knew the dog walker of the lady who cleaned the house of the pool cleaner for Jack one time that said different.

😎🤣

I don’t get it either. Palmer is the best example as someone who wanted to beat you every time but was a gentlemen about it the whole time

Back