Is Taylor Swift the biggest singer/entertainer ever?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
Obviously that's a big question. But the charts this week are silly. All of the top 10 - never happened before. 13/top15

tay.jpg

I feel like she did so well that now she can mail in whatever and people will buy it.

Nope. While I respect her for what she's doing.... MJ would be #1 without question.

haven't heard any I dont think. :LOL:

but i'm already getting roped into finding tour concert tickets, and holy hell that looks like it's going to be a b*tch.
She's coming to MN June 24th.... I'm sure I'll have to get a few tix for my 2 teenagers...

But to be honest - her last concert that we took them to about 5 years ago wasn't too bad... Besides that, I may have been one of 500 men in a crowd of 50,000....

1667397522706.gif

If you ask a teen age young Lady, they might say she's the best ever.

However, after listening to Swift for 400 miles, while my Granddaughter drove our car back from State, my ears would say Michael Jackson, George Straight, and Elvis were all better than Swift is. She doesn't have their longevity.

Reba was pretty good during her run on the charts, as was Wynonna.

I think Swift just found herself in the right spot, at the right time.

She talented, business savvy, beautiful and a great performer. Biggest of all time? Hardly. But she is really really good. This new album is really good as well. My GF is a Taylor nut and I enjoyed this record quite a bit.
Biggest ever? What even determines that? Record sales? Popularity? Plus all these digital numbers can be manipulated so easily. I put no faith in them. Her people probably hired a click farm. Yeah that’s a thing.

To her generation possibly. Ever, don't think so. I like the MJ answers and I'd throw Garth into the mix as well.

Frank, Elvis, Elton, Garth,Taylor, I am sure there are rappers that kill it in sales. I love how people come and go but music stays fresh and moves people

Frank, Elvis, Elton, Garth,Taylor, I am sure there are rappers that kill it in sales. I love how people come and go but music stays fresh and moves people

Good choices....I was also going to mention Frank and Elvis. Elton John and Billy Joel are in the mix....and of course Michael Jackson.

Musically, I am not that impressed with Taylor Swift, but she certainly has business savvy and can gauge what sells. From the videos I've seen, she seems to put on a good show too.

Musically, I am not that impressed with Taylor Swift, but she certainly has business savvy and can gauge what sells. From the videos I've seen, she seems to put on a good show too.

her ability to switch genres multiple times already is impressive in it's own right.

her ability to switch genres multiple times already is impressive in it's own right.

She did make the switch from Country to Pop, which I think is a testament to her business savvy, but to me its not as impressive musically as Lady Gaga doing Pop and singing from the "Great American Songbook" (convincingly) with Tony Bennett.

She did make the switch from Country to Pop, which I think is a testament to her business savvy, but to me its not as impressive musically as Lady Gaga doing Pop and singing from the "Great American Songbook" (convincingly) with Tony Bennett.

Pure musical talent-wise, theres hundreds if not thousands of better singers. same could be said for most of the other people mentioned in this thread.

I really don't get why people are so crazy about her music. I like her voice, personality, and I think generally she writes good lyrics (although her newfound obsession with dropping F-bombs is a little jarring to me given the music style). But the actual music is just thoroughly pedestrian and uninteresting to me.

To answer the question, she certainly seems like the absolute biggest superstar right now. All time is always a difficult question to answer, because times are different and how people consume music changes, but she has to be up there.

no

Back