Is Titleist getting left behind?

I'm a huge fan of Scotty Cameron and Vokey wedges, they are fantastic, but I've noticed that Cleveland 588 wedges for example, are just as reliable and versatile,
I thinks Scotty Cameron makes a fine putter, it feels great rolls great, but at $300 a pop, it's hard for me to justify one. Which is why I went with other OEMs because I could afford them. I also haven't even been able to hit the woods well so I was never interested.

Titleist and Vokey have fantastic customer service and have never let me down.

As far as them being left behind? I don't think they are being left behind, I just believe that they are too exclusive and expensive, when I was going to buy a new set of clubs, it was in between taylormade and titleist, unfortunately the titleist previous generation equipment was still too expensive for me because they only reduced the price by $50, but the taylormade equipment was at least $150 cheaper so I went with them.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I like Titleist offerings as well it just seems their homers are generally obnoxious and pretentious.

I tend to think that it's an opinion formed from internet rumor. I've NEVER met an obnoxious/pretentious Titleist owner, SC owner, or anything of the sort. I own a full bag of their gear (as well as a full bag of Nike gear, I'm a double homer) and I could care less if you play WS or TMAG or anything else. I like Titleist because I still rock 910 woods and don't feel like I'm outdated or "behind the times". If I played a TM driver, I'd be on the original R11 (not the S) to be in the same year range and I'd be like 5 drivers behind the current model instead of 1 and I'd obviously be driving approximately 57 yards less because the old drivers lose distance as soon as the new one comes out :alien2:........

Titleist isn't being left behind, they just aren't in a weeweeing contest with TMAG/Callaway but they still have quite the loyal following. I don't know where the "overpriced" argument comes in, their drivers cost the same as everyone else's, so do their wedges/woods etc. Their irons are slightly higher but honestly not enough to bat an eye at unless you're comparing them to Academy box sets.

At the end of the day, you play what you want, I'll play what I want, as as long as we aren't hitting balls into each other who cares :act-up:

TaylorMade does not release drivers every week anymore. You'd be two models behind as you would with every other OEM except PING (1.5 year). One of these days, that misconception will go away.

This thread is still going? No, they are not.

One of these days, that misconception will go away.

Not really, I understand they are marketed differently but since the release of the R11, there has been the R11s, RBZ, R1, RBZ Stg 2, maybe the Burner 2.0, can't remember if it was in 11 or 12, and of course the Burner 3.0 to Dicks only, and of course you cant' forget tour, TP, and tour TP models of all of them. TMAG has caused and international shortage of white paint over the past few years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing against TMAG, all of them are great drivers, there are just too many for my taste and every time making claims of being ridiculously superior to the last. Seems like if you aren't dropping 1k a year with them you'll be playing an old model in just a few short months.

That's why there are so many OEM options though, something for everyone. Titleist (and occasionally Nike) is for me.

I tend to think that it's an opinion formed from internet rumor. I've NEVER met an obnoxious/pretentious Titleist owner, SC owner, or anything of the sort. I own a full bag of their gear (as well as a full bag of Nike gear, I'm a double homer) and I could care less if you play WS or TMAG or anything else. I like Titleist because I still rock 910 woods and don't feel like I'm outdated or "behind the times". If I played a TM driver, I'd be on the original R11 (not the S) to be in the same year range and I'd be like 5 drivers behind the current model instead of 1 and I'd obviously be driving approximately 57 yards less because the old drivers lose distance as soon as the new one comes out :alien2:........

Titleist isn't being left behind, they just aren't in a weeweeing contest with TMAG/Callaway but they still have quite the loyal following. I don't know where the "overpriced" argument comes in, their drivers cost the same as everyone else's, so do their wedges/woods etc. Their irons are slightly higher but honestly not enough to bat an eye at unless you're comparing them to Academy box sets.

At the end of the day, you play what you want, I'll play what I want, as as long as we aren't hitting balls into each other who cares :act-up:

I agree on the pricing. Pretty much in line with the other OEM's. They just have their way of doing things. I'm sure when it comes to the value of the company, they are still king of the hill. They don't seem to see the need to get deep into the game improvement end of things. That tells me they are pretty happy with the group they are mainly targeting which has always been the better players.

I think the "overpriced" comes from the fact that their older models never seem to get cheaper at most retail outlets. At GolfTown the 910 is still $360.

I think the "overpriced" comes from the fact that their older models never seem to get cheaper at most retail outlets. At GolfTown the 910 is still $360.

That pricing is dictated by the OEMs to the retailers. Plus, that's a steal, considering the 910 is a better driver than the 913.

That pricing is dictated by the OEMs to the retailers. Plus, that's a steal, considering the 910 is a better driver than the 913.

I think I barely agree with you. I liked the 913, but it just didn't improve that much.

Slosdm, those are all different models. Each series releases once a year. Everyone but Titleist has multiple lines.

THPing on Tapatalk

In summary - Rory's just too damn expensive to put in your fantasy roster :D

I don't think they are being left behind at all. It's refreshing not to flood the market every four months or so. They put out a new product every year or two which is fine with me. I own and game often my Titleist AP2s 2012 models and love them.

doc

Not really, I understand they are marketed differently but since the release of the R11, there has been the R11s, RBZ, R1, RBZ Stg 2, maybe the Burner 2.0, can't remember if it was in 11 or 12, and of course the Burner 3.0 to Dicks only, and of course you cant' forget tour, TP, and tour TP models of all of them. TMAG has caused and international shortage of white paint over the past few years.

To be fair, that is 2 drivers per year (both at the same time)(like so many other companies).
R11 & Burner 2.0 in 2011
R11S & RBZ in 2012
R1 & Stage 2 in 2013

The Tour and TP models are shaft changes. So in that same 3 year stretch, Titleist has released 4 drivers instead of 6. Ping has released at least the same amount (if not 1 more). Cleveland has released 6, Callaway has released 6, Adams has released 8, Mizuno has released 4, Wilson Staff 4, Nike has released 5, etc.

While I would agree in years past that the company released on a 120 day cycle and did one at a time, we are three years in a row now that they put out two price points at the same time each year. There is never a complaint about so many others doing it, or heck the idea that a company puts out double that in irons (take a look at Ping & Mizuno the last 3 years for iron releases), but their short term history is that they are the biggest, therefore get crucified for something that is just not there.

Back